Super Moderator

Default Augusta Sarah Pegl(a)(e)r Rhodes

I know that she was born in 1843 in the Strand, London. I have her baptism date and the entry on the 1851 census. I also know that she married John Brown in Dorset in 1867. He lived in Ireland at the time working as he was a Civil Engineer. Eventually sometime in the 1870's they moved to South Africa. I have all the details from Family Search in SA. As far as I am aware (according to the marriage certificate) her father was William Rhodes, a Victualler, her mother (on the baptism register) was Mary Ann. The GRO gives her mother's maiden name as Baker. There is a record of marriage banns in 1832 for Mary Ann Baker and William Rhodes (widower). I have been trying to find Augusta on the 1861 census or a William and Mary Ann who seem to fit but having no luck at all. Any ideas anyone?

Reputation beyond repute

In 1851 Augusta seems to have been at school at Tapton House, Derbyshire. It's interesting that this was once the home of George Stephenson, the engineer. However, this is no help in answering the question

Super Moderator

I looked up Tapton House but there was no mention of it being a school in 1851. I think it was a school between about 1848 and 1865, then bought by Charles Markham in 1871. Never thought I would have problems with a name like Augusta had!

Sue, does her birth certificate confirm her father's name? FreeBMD has an index entry for someone of her name for March 1943, Strand. I assume that's her? It's the only Augusta on offer.

Do you know who the witness William ?? Rhodes is on the marriage record as a witness? Not her father, given as William as it says he is deceased.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

I assume that's Augusta's cousin Emily Rhodes being baptised on the same day. With parents John Rhodes (also a victualler) and Mary.

I expect you know of the Charles Rhodes with birth registered 1841, Strand Union, mother's maiden name Baker.

is that Charles with his widowed mother on the 1881 census at Melcombe Regis, Dorset
    piece 2105; folio 43; page 31

?

If the Mary Ann in Dorset is the
    correct one then she can be found in Maiden Lane,Covent Garden, a widowed Tavern keeper in 1851 with son William John Rhodes b 1834. I think husband William died 1847 and ran the Cider Cellar in Maiden Lane before his death.

with nothing better to do I think I have worked out Augusta's other siblings

Isabella Ann Rhodes - born 1835 - married George Howard WATERFALL in 1895. Isabella is mentioned on her mother's 1887 probate record

Mary Ann Peak Rhodes - born 1838 - died aged 17

Charles Rhodes - born 1841, died Dorset 1882 - married 1867 Florence MANSEL - 7+ children

Super Moderator

As Augusta is not in my family line and only appear through marriage in the line I am researching for a friend, I do not have any documents relating to her at all.

I have managed to trace Charles back through the census starting with him being a Scholar in Devon in 1851 to an Acting Dispenser and a Surgeon.

On the baptism entry the address is Maiden Lane, so that looks like the Cider Cellar is correct.