Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

I think if Alice had divorced you would have found a marriage record for her & Mr Scally. The fact that you can't suggests to me that she didn't divorce.

During WW2 if you changed your name other than by marriage you were required to make a declaration which was published in the London Gazette, and she doesn't seem to have done that either.

Starting to feel at home

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    On the 1939 register the name Scally is written in blue ink also the letter M. Usually there is a date and code for marraige or name change. There isn’t a date or code next to her name.

Looking at the address for Alice in 1939,looked on area map which appears on FMP,did a search in 1939 for a male Scally,there’s a William Scally,single,living in the same area on Addison Rd not too far from Ashby St.
    Thank you very much. This could be the gentleman, particularly as Alice appears to have stayed in Derbyshire for the rest of her life it had to be someone she kne who also lived locally.

Reputation beyond repute

I didn’t know this, thank you. If Alice’s children with Mr Scally were registered with her original married name as instead of her maiden name I assume the marriage would have been registered between Mr Scally and Alice Whyman.
    The index only contains enough information to help you to order a certificate. The entry implies that that the mother's maiden name is shown on the certificate as Whyman (ie it is preceded by the word "formerly"). As you know this is not correct.

I would advise you to obtain the birth certificates in order to check whether other surnames are mentioned (for example preceded by the words "late" or "otherwise").

Starting to feel at home

Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12