Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Help finding a record of marriage

Hello, I’m struggling to find a record of a second marriage regarding Alice Norma Whyman (née Newbold) and was hoping somebody might be able to find what I can’t. The following is the information I do know:

Alice Norma Newbold was born 31st July 1909 in Long Eaton Derbyshire.

She married Charles Herbert Whyman (born 10th June 1909 Derby) at St Laurence Church, Long Eaton on 24th December 1931.

[U]1939 Register[U]
    Charles H. Whyman was living at 30 Longford Street, Derby. He is recorded as being married but was the only person enumerated in the household.

Alice Whyman was living at 26 Ashby Street, Derby and working as a hotel bar assistant. Her marital status was Married. I am aware that the 1939 Register was continually updated after 1939 and the surname Whyman has been crossed through and replaced with the surname Scally.

I initially thought Alice was widowed but Charles died in Derby in the June quarter of 1994 so they must have divorced.

I cannot find any record of Alice’s second marriage to a man with the surname Scally. I have searched using her maiden name Newbold and her married name Whyman.

The only record I did find was a registration of death. Alice Norma Scally died in Derby in July 1993.

Famous for offering help & advice

you may or may not know that Mr Scally and Alice had a daughter born 1947 with mother's maiden name Whyman (registered at Shardlow)

edit - sorry, and two sons born 1942 and 1944

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    you may or may not know that Mr Scally and Alice had a daughter born 1947 with mother's maiden name Whyman (registered at Shardlow)

edit - sorry, and two sons born 1942 and 1944
    I didn’t know this, thank you. If Alice’s children with Mr Scally were registered with her original married name as instead of her maiden name I assume the marriage would have been registered between Mr Scally and Alice Whyman.

Super Moderator

Not sure, but I think it was very unusual for couples to get divorced at that time. My grandmother was married but then "took up" with another man around 1935. She always called herself by the name of the man she lived with and had 8 children with him, all taking his surname. So perhaps Alice and Mr. Scally never actually married.

haven't found a marriage. Perhaps they didn't marry. (crossposted)

On the 1939 register the name Scally is written in blue ink also the letter M. Usually there is a date and code for marraige or name change. There isn’t a date or code next to her name.

Looking at the address for Alice in 1939,looked on area map which appears on FMP,did a search in 1939 for a male Scally,there’s a William Scally,single,living in the same area on Addison Rd not too far from Ashby St.

Brick wall demolition expert!

This is the National Archives guide to divorce records

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...uides/divorce/

What you will see from that is that after 1937 only 0.2% of files survive .......................

Although it involves spending some money it might be worth investing in the death certificates of Alice and her first husband to see how they are described and who registered the deaths, and also one of the Scally birth certificates.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks you for all the help. It’s beginning to look like Alice divorced then lived with a man named Scally and took his surname to make it appear they were married. There is of course the possibility that she and Charles Whyman separated but never actually divorced meaning she would have been unable to marry again.

There’s a couple of articles in the Derby Daily Telegraph & Nottingham Evening Post 29th December 1937 of an accident people with these names.Also a licence transfer 12th May 1937 ,Derby Daily Telegraph to Charles Herbert Whyman,looks like it could be a Public Hose,Peartree Tavern.

British Newspaper Archive.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    There’s a couple of articles in the Derby Daily Telegraph & Nottingham Evening Post 29th December 1937 of an accident people with these names.Also a licence transfer 12th May 1937 ,Derby Daily Telegraph to Charles Herbert Whyman,looks like it could be a Public Hose,Peartree Tavern.

British Newspaper Archive.
    Thanks, I had found the licence transfer article but had not seen the 29th December one. They were involved in a car crash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast