Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDF pages

Famous for offering help & advice

Default PDF pages

Right I use Google Chrome.

If I download a pdf file it saved as a webpage meaning I couldn't easily attach it to a family tree or a email. Trying to change the dropdown menu to save as pdf still saves it as a webpage.
    So I changed(eventually found it) my settings to save downloaded pdfs as pdfs not as a webpage. Problem is when I simply want to open a webpage that is in pdf it automatically downloads rather than opening which is annoying.

Does anyone know how to set up the following:
    1. open pdf formatted webpages as a Google Chrome webpage, but one that does not automatically download. AND
    2. be able to download a pdf(from that webpage) and save it as a pdf, rather than saving it as the default google chrome webpage.

Thanks

Mitch

Brick wall demolition expert!

With regards to questions 2 I don't think the browser is the issue. I set up a computer 3years ago - it's Windows 10, and somewhere in the process which was the most convoluted and frustrating that I've ever experienced, I managed to set the default for opening a pdf document as the Web. So now when I down load one and go to open it I have to remember to right click and open with Acrobat, or another piece of software.

It doesn't answer all your problems, but if I want a pdf from a webpage, I used "print as" rather than "save as". It just asks where to put it. Saves a lot of fiddling around.

So folks I think I've messed up massively. As every web page was simply automatically downloading rather than opening with pdf I reverted to 'open with chrome', failed! - still downloaded as Chrome - but pages wouldn't open when clicking 'open' - it simply downloaded another copy.
    Net result is, despite restart, every webpage downloads as a Google Chrome page rather than opening, and every download came through as a google chrome.
    So I've reverted to pdf opening at least then it downloads as a pdf rather than annoying chrome.

If anyone has any useful directions it would be appreciated!

I just searched the web typing in - how to save webpage as pdf chrome -
    WikiHow was in the first 4 entries that came up and has 3 ways you can serve a web page to PDF. The first one include Lesley's tip of clicking on Print from the drop down menu upper right.
    Try typing in the search engine 3 Ways to Save a Web Page as a PDF in Google Chrome - wikiHow

It may help if you uninstall chrome and then reinstall and clear your history - says she who knows enough to be dangerous.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Mostly I use Firefox, but I've just fired up Chrome and visited a "page" that's actually a pdf file. It behaved the way I would expect (and want), so I've checked what settings I have.

In Settings I searched for pdf, and found the relevant bit in Site Settings (part of Privacy and Security). You'll probably need to click Additional Content Settings at the bottom, and in there there's a section for PDF Documents.

Here mine is set to Open PDFs in Chrome. When I get to the page, if I want to save a copy, I find the best way is to click on Download at the top (next to the printer icon), and this saves it in the default location.

I think this is what you were asking for in your initial post, so I hope it helps. If not, do ask again.

Hi Mitch
    I use chrome but have pdf default set to open in Edge (Microsoft Web browser) s that gives more controls than Adobe reader

Right thanks folks, I have finally managed to get it back to how it was originally - I was using the laptop settings rather than the Chrome settings to restore to 'pdf open with Chrome'.

So I tried the various tricks listed above - none work for me - if I go to menu(top right), choose 'print' and 'save as 'adobe acrobat reader'' it still saves as a Chrome webpage not as a pdf file .

It looks like the only option is to do as Neil Wilson suggests - have Edge default set to open as pdf when I need to download and copy and paste the relevant page when needed. Not sure that that will work as pdfs I currently have saved have already reverted to Chrome webpages rather than pdfs. So annoying!
    Alternatively I can in Chrome go through the menu and 6 stages and swop between opening with Chrome or downloading as pdf, just remembering how to change back each time. All frustrating for something that could be so simple!

Thanks all for your input, appreciated.

Mitch

I may have misunderstood what you've written, but it sounds as though you might have Windows set up to open pdf files with Chrome rather than Adobe.

To check this (and change if necessary), find a pdf file and right-click it, then select "Open With". At the bottom of the menu select "Choose another app" - this will then show what you're currently using and offer some other options. If you want to make a permanent change, select one of the others and tick the box at the bottom for "Always use this app...."

There is another way to check using Windows Settings, but it's a bit more involved so I won't explain it for now.

Based on my settings, even if you specify Adobe there, when you're browsing with Chrome it will still open pdf files in the first instance as if they are web pages, and then you can download them as I described above. Ordinary (non-pdf) web pages shouldn't be affected by any of this, though if you decided to save them as pdf files, in due course they would open with Adobe rather than Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I may have misunderstood what you've written, but it sounds as though you might have Windows set up to open pdf files with Chrome rather than Adobe.
    Thanks Arthur, had to revert to opening with Chrome as individual pdf webpages were downloading rather than opening which was annoying.
    On pdf files in my downloads show as Chrome webpages - I can 'open with' pdf fine, but it remains a Chrome webpage in the gallery - which technically means for example I can't upload it to my family tree through the Gallery page - I've got to upload it as an 'attach media' to a particular item. I think I'm finding workarounds for it - it's just I won't do it for a bit and will then completely forget how I resolved it!
    Thanks for your input.
    Mitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast