Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Again search in UK

Hello dear helpers,

this time am looking for a relative who was born and married in the UK:

Name: Kathleen Mary Burrows
    Born 11th Juy 1911 in Romford
    Married May 1, 1937 in Lawford to
    Jacques Manheim, born December 30,1910 Amsterdam (died 2000)

Any and all data is welcome am looking too of course but all of your resources are easier to access
    Best regards,
    Paul

Super Moderator

Kathleen travelled alone to Canada arriving on the 2 August 1957. She was a teacher and intended to live in Canada indefinitely.

On the 1921 census she is called Kathleen May living with Henry, Julia Elizabeth and 1 other. Sorry I do not have a subscription so cannot find more on that entry. On the registration of the marriage she is Kathleen M.

The address given in the UK on the travel to Canada is 9 Prior Road, Felixstowe. Felixstowe is in Suffolk but it is the next door county to Essex.

Super Moderator

That should be priory Road not Prior

Super Moderator

I think that the entry on the 1911 census is probably Henry and Julie Elizabeth (Kathleen's parents).
    Living at West View, 3 Manor Road, Romford.

Henry is an Accountant, age 36 born in Aldgate.
    Julia Elizabeth 1ge 35, born Romford
    Lily Dorothy, daughter age 12 born Romford
    Thelma Fanny age 7 born Romford

As Kathleen was not born when the census was taken she would not appear.

Henry married Julia Elisabeth Crewdson in 1897 registered in Romford.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Beek1956 View Post
    Hello dear helpers,

this time am looking for a relative who was born and married in the UK:

Name: Kathleen Mary Burrows
    Born 11th Juy 1911 in Romford
    Married May 1, 1937 in Lawford to
    Jacques Manheim, born December 30,1910 Amsterdam (died 2000)

Any and all data is welcome am looking too of course but all of your resources are easier to access
    Best regards,
    Paul
    Paul, 'any and all' is wonderfully vague, and is no help to forum members who don't know exactly what details you already have, and exactly what details you would like.
    For instance, Sue has found a record of Kathleen going to Canada. Did you already know that? If so, then she has wasted her time first in searching, and then posting the information.
    I'm presuming that you already have the names of Kathleen's parents, her address in 1939, (1939 Register is available on Ancestry), names and birth registration details of any children she and Jacques may have had (FreeBMD and also available on Ancestry).
    Depending on where she lived, she may appear on the electoral rolls available on Ancestry.

If you want to know more about her in the 1921 census then you will have to purchase those details from Findmypast. The 1921 census is not yet available as part of a subscription, only a stand-alone purchase for each record you want to obtain.

I haven't checked, but I suspect that Kathleen's departure to Canada will be part of Ancestry's U.K. and Ireland outward passenger lists 1890-1960 which you can search for yourself to get all the details.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Lists

Arrival.

Name: Kathleen Manheim
    Arrival Age: 46
    Birth Date: 11 Jul 1911
    Port of Departure:Montréal, Québec, Canada
    Arrival Date: 2 Aug 1957
    Port of Arrival:Liverpool, England

Passenger Lists Leaving UK

Departure

Kathleen Manheim
    Birth day 11
    Birth month 7
    Birth year 1911
    Married
    Teacher
    Departure: 11 9 1957
    Departure port Southampton

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Paul, 'any and all' is wonderfully vague, and is no help to forum members who don't know exactly what details you already have, and exactly what details you would like.
    For instance, Sue has found a record of Kathleen going to Canada. Did you already know that? If so, then she has wasted her time first in searching, and then posting the information.
    I'm presuming that you already have the names of Kathleen's parents, her address in 1939, (1939 Register is available on Ancestry), names and birth registration details of any children she and Jacques may have had (FreeBMD and also available on Ancestry).
    Depending on where she lived, she may appear on the electoral rolls available on Ancestry.

If you want to know more about her in the 1921 census then you will have to purchase those details from Findmypast. The 1921 census is not yet available as part of a subscription, only a stand-alone purchase for each record you want to obtain.

I haven't checked, but I suspect that Kathleen's departure to Canada will be part of Ancestry's U.K. and Ireland outward passenger lists 1890-1960 which you can search for yourself to get all the details.
    Dear Pam, thanks.
    Yes, it is a bit vague but let me tell you what is known: froman archivecard from the city archives of Amsterdam it says that she was coming in 1938 to Holland from a place called Manningtree, she was born July 11, 1911 in Romford and married Jacques Manheim in Lawford on May 1, 1937. On her card it says that she left for Canada to a place called Sexsmith October 8, 1952.
    So I think there might be a mixup since the passenger data are from 1957 (the card says 1952)and also the people mentioned Henry and these kids: was she married in 1921 to another man before she married Jack as he is called in 1937?
    It is a bit dazzling so far and there are no real Dutch reacords for her, the only thing I found, no dates, that she and Jack went into hiding during the war in province of Friesland.
    Best regards, Paul

Kathleen may well have left for Canada in 1952 but as my #post6 shows she returned to U.K. on August 2nd 1957 and then travelled back to Canada on September 11th 1957.

I don’t think the dates are a mix up as she returned for a visit home in 1957.

‘she married in 1921 to another man’

Kathleen born 1911 could not have married in 1921 as she would have been 10 yrs old!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Beek1956 View Post
    Dear Pam, thanks.
    Yes, it is a bit vague but let me tell you what is known: froman archivecard from the city archives of Amsterdam it says that she was coming in 1938 to Holland from a place called Manningtree, she was born July 11, 1911 in Romford and married Jacques Manheim in Lawford on May 1, 1937. On her card it says that she left for Canada to a place called Sexsmith October 8, 1952.
    So I think there might be a mixup since the passenger data are from 1957 (the card says 1952)and

also the people mentioned Henry and these kids:
    If you're referring to the Henry and children in post #4, Sue has clearly said that he is Kathleen's father, and the children will therefore be her siblings.
    The details relate to the 1911 census which was taken on 2 April 1911.
    Again, Sue has explained that Kathleen wasn't born at the time of the census which is why she is not shown on the record.

was she married in 1921 to another man before she married Jack as he is called in 1937?
    Kathleen was only 10 in 1921 so it would be a bit difficult for her to have been married by 1921.
    It is a bit dazzling so far and there are no real Dutch reacords for her, the only thing I found, no dates, that she and Jack went into hiding during the war in province of Friesland.
    Best regards, Paul
    Reading through this post of yours it would seem that Kathleen spent very little time in England after she married, especially as she left for Canada from Holland.
    I would therefore assume that there will be very little, if anything, to find apart from basic details such as her birth and marriage.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast