Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Civil registration began in 1855 on Scotland. SP's records after 1855 are for civil births rather than church baptisms.I'm not sure where baptism records post 1855 are held. So I guess it is possible for him to have been born in Ayr and baptised in Maybole which is not very far from Ayr. Do you know what source your relative used for that baptism? Could he have made a mistake?
    There are a few William Cowans of around the right age in Ayrshire in 1891. Could be worth checking them to see if William from Kirkconnel is one of them.

The Margaret Cowan (Telfer)'s death was in Kirkconnel in 1867 on SP, mmn Thompson. Death cert should name her parents.On 1861on freecen she gives POB as Crawford Lanarkshire. I can't see her baptism there, but there are some other slightly earlier Telfer baptisms to John Telfer and Margaret Thompson.(on SP and FS)

You can obtain John McKay and Mary Anne Clarke's marriage record from GRONI (official NI gov site) and it should give his occupation.

Famous for offering help & advice

The 1873marriage can be downloaded for free from Irish genealogy.John was an engine fitter.
    At that time there was a lot of movement backward and forward between Scotland and Ireland. The shipyard in Belfast was a big employer.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    The 1873marriage can be downloaded for free from Irish genealogy.John was an engine fitter.
    At that time there was a lot of movement backward and forward between Scotland and Ireland. The shipyard in Belfast was a big employer.
    Harland & Wolff had yards in Belfast, Glasgow, Liverpool & Southampton and they often moved staff from one to the other if there was a business need. A quick look at the 1901 Irish census for Belfast shows dozens of shipyard workers born in England & Scotland.

I searched on “engine fitter” and place of birth “Scotland” and got an astonishing 355 of them in Ireland in that census.

Example of 2 in Belfast here:

https://www.census.nationalarchives....Street/153531/
    ELWYN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12