Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default John Cowan Birth Certificate.

My Dad has shown me that we have a relative who has searched our family tree previously. He has recorded that my Great Granddad John Cowan, was 'born in December, Baptised 1895 Maybold Dunf'shire Scot.'

I have my Great Grandparents marriage certificate now and it shows that his Dad is named William Cowan and he was a Stud Groom. John Cowan was a Groom when they married, 3rd April 1923 and was 27 and resident in Market Harborough.

With the info I have, please can you tell me how I go about getting his birth certificate?

I have found that there are a number of John Cowans, I would like to make sure that I have the correct John Cowan. Is the process the same for Scottish birth certificates?

Thank you for your help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

For most things Scottish you need https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
    You buy credits, and depending on what you're buying, you often get the result immediately.

Google maps don't show a Maybold, nor (to the best of my knowledge) is there a Dunf'shire. I did think that might be a shortened version of Dunfermlineshire, but Dunfermline has only ever been a town. So I reckon the place is Maybole, in Ayrshire, and not that far from the border with the present day Dumfries and Galloway.

There are two birth registrations in Ayr registration district in 1895; one for a John Cowan, and the other for a John McCall Cowan.
    Can't find a baptism for a John Cowan 1894-1901.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you found the family on 1901 & 1911 census?

1901 has Parents William & Annie,4 children including John. The 2 youngest born in Leicestershire. Having the MMN may help with Johns birth cert. 1911 states John born Ayr,Ayrshire.

COWAN, ELIZABETH FERGUSON MMN- MACKAY
    1899 M Quarter in UPPINGHAM
    Volume 07A Page 347

COWAN, MARY CLARKE MMN- MCKEY
    1897 M Quarter in UPPINGHAM
    Volume 07A Page 374

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbertlouise View Post

With the info I have, please can you tell me how I go about getting his birth certificate?

I have found that there are a number of John Cowans, I would like to make sure that I have the correct John Cowan. Is the process the same for Scottish birth certificates?

Thank you for your help.
    The principle difference is that for England and Wales you search the index and then separately order from the GRO using the index references. However in Scotland everything is done through the one site of ScotlandsPeople. You buy credits and you use those to look at and download certificates.

Famous for offering help & advice

SP have a marriage in 1892 in Kirkconnel of William Cowan and Annie Mackay, which can be downloaded.
    It should also give the names of of William and Annie's parents, if known.

Thank you, I'm assuming that MMN means Mother's maiden name? The people you have found is the line I had previously thought were mine. I had found them using the census and i had seen other peoples certificates on ancestry but when i saw the family tree info from my Dad's tree, I assumed that maybe I was searching the wrong family?
    I found a birth doc for a John Cowan born nineth Dec 1895 father william and mother Annie, looks like he was born 6 Church Place Newton Ayr. Which I had thought was a good find and was probably him...but seeing the family tree info made me think I had it all wrong? I dont know anything about Scotland, which seems bad having family from there, so I didnt know if Dunf'shire was dumfriesshire or Dunfermlineshire? I appreciate everyones help, thank you.

If my previous research was correct, I think Annie's parents are Mary Ann Clark who married John McKay. and William's parents are John Cowan who married Elizabeth Ferguson.
    Annie's Grandparents are John McKay who married Mary McNeil and John Clark. I haven't got John Clark's wife's name yet. William's Grandparents are William Cowan who married Margaret Telfer and John Ferguson who married Elizabeth Fleming. I am a little stuck with the next generation in a couple of places. Mary Ann Clark and John McKay were married in Belfast and I can't find any other info for them in Ireland. So Im wondering if he was a soldier?
    I really want to find the next generation up from Margaret Telfer and William Cowan because I keep being told that I am related to famous people through this line, on family search, and I think they have their research wrong....but again, all this was before seeing the Maybold(e). I could not find a baptism which said Maybole, so it has completely thrown me.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    SP have a marriage in 1892 in Kirkconnel of William Cowan and Annie Mackay, which can be downloaded.
    It should also give the names of of William and Annie's parents, if known.
    That would fit with Kirkconnel being given as William's birthplace in the 1911 census.

William's occupation in 1911 is stud groom, the same as given on son John's marriage certificate.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Yes William is a Stud Groom. We found out that John Cowan was working at HoldingHold Hall. His boss was Alexander Cross. There was a photo of a John McKie on a horse called Blitz in the Royal Agricultural show. He was a Champion. This was the info that I had believed was my family...but it doesnt say anything about Maybole. I think it just threw me off.

Am I to assume then that my initial research looks to be correct, even if there is no confirmation of a baptism in 1895 in Maybole? Just wanted to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast