Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Joseph George Rogers

Hi,

I have been trying to find information on my adopted fathers army records. He joined the army probably in 1940 when he was 14 years old. He lied about his age of course. His name was John Joseph George Rogers born 5th May 1926 in Lambeth. I know he was in France and Germany during WW2. He also served in the Suez Crisis. Unfortunately I don't know his army service number. How would I go about finding that number please.

Brick wall demolition expert!

The Ministry of Defence has not released any service records for those who served after 1921.

The link below takes you to a post that tells you how you can obtain those records.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...757#post585757

You will need a lot of patience, because delays have been very very long. Good luck.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The link Megan has provided works for all three services - there's different forms for each - where the service personnel were still enlisted after 1921.
    However only limited information is available for Navy personnel as up until 1972 they were given their service records on discharge.
    https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/tutorials

At the beginning of June, there was a delay of eighteen months for receiving records.
    However, I believe that extra staff were going to be drafted in to help with the backlog, so hopefully that time delay will reduce over the coming months.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

The best thing can be to send your forms in and get into the queue, then try other sources (eg if your relative did not survive the War, there’s the CWGC database), not as comprehensive as the service records, but a beginning.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for the replies and information.