Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default 2 WW1 records - JAMES ANTHONY TYSON - Help!

Hello,

My name is Lin and this is the first time I have used any forum, as I am hitting brick walls I need help please. I am researching:

James Anthony Tyson who was born in Liverpool in 1894.
    His father was Joseph and mother was Mary Ann.
    He was baptised on 26th November 1894.
    He was a private (service number 1989),in the
    King's (Liverpool) regiment,8th (Irish) battalion, Tertiary unit:Territorial Force.
    Service from 12th May 1914 - discharge date 19th July 1916.

1. I have been unable to find his service records showing his address, to make sure he is 'the right' James Tyson. I have searched Ancestry, Find my past and My Heritage... any ideas?, why this is or where I can find his address?

2. I have found 4 records on Forces War Records for James Tyson with service number 1989 and they have raised several questions that I hope someone 'out there' will be able to help me.
    The Record showing report date 7th September 1915,James is listed as wounded, at duty location France and Flanders and entitled to wear a wound stripe. Archive reference DT24091915

Another record on FWR site shows Archive reference WO/329/3084 Roll of individuals entitled to the War badge War Office ref no. TH/117, badge number 65545.This record covers the date 25th October 1916 to 21st November 2016.
    The cause of discharge states 'Documents to Chelsea unable to state cause' - has anyone any ideas what this might mean? Or how and where I might find out more about James injury.

And a further record on FWR site covers the date 22nd November 1916 to 9th December 1916. The archive reference is WO329/3084 War Office ref no TH/276 and silver badge number 88808. More information column shows 'Entry crossed through on original source, Badge returned, 3837/B issued on list TH117.

Does this mean that James received 2 silver war badges? or that he received badge 65545 first and then had to return that in order to receive badge 88808? Or is there something else going on?[/I]
    [/I]
    Apologies for length of this post, I wanted to make sure whoever reads this will have the information to help me.
    [/PHP]

Thanking you in anticipation of help and/or being pointed in the right direction to find more information.

Lin

Lin, welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. Don't forget to take a look around our sub-forums. Messages at their tops marked "sticky" are general information about the subject of that forum.

I suspect that your query may require help from several people, so I'll take the easiest question - about 2/3 of WW1 service records were destroyed in the fires of WW2. I assume that your chap's records are among them. Sometimes data can be found - eg among pension records, and these can often be found on commercial databases such as Ancestry and Find My Past.

The WW1 medals index cards only show one man of that regiment and number. He had the 15 Star because he reached the Front in France on 3 May 1915. He also had the Victory and British medals of course. The comments about the SWB are also on the card.

When did he die?

Super Moderator

Was James born on the 13 November 1894? If so he is listed on the 1939 register at the Fylde Institution as an inmate and general labourer. It states he is single. Did your James marry?

You have probably seem the census returns on Ancestry for 1901 and 1911 when the family were living in Latham Street and Harcourt Street.

However there is another entry on the 1939 register to James Tyson, born 1894, again single. This time a patient at the County Mental Hospital in Lancashire.

One possible reason for a SWB being returned was if he was no longer at the address they had for him, and there was no forwarding address. Of course, if he was a long-term patient, I don't think that he would have need one.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Lesley, thank you for your reply and help.
    James died in 1957.
    Where will I find the WW1 medal index cards - does the card say he received 2 SWB?

Starting to feel at home

Hi Sue,

Thank you, I believe James was born on 13th November 1894.
    The 1911 census for Harcourt Street is definitely the James Tyson (a first cousin, twice removed) - I have not looked at 1901 census yet.

It was actually the 1939 census searches that made me want to research more into James' military history.
    There was one entry for James Tyson as a patient in Rainhill mental hospital and also an entry for James Tyson in Fylde mental hospital - as an inmate. I would like to know what dates the census was taken at both institutions... I have heard that not all institutions carried out census on same day and wonder whether James had been moved from Rainhill to Fylde and so shown on both census or that perhaps there were 2 James Tyson's, born in 1894 and both resident in mental hospitals at the same time?

When I came to look at the Forces War Records for James and saw that the SWB 65545 said 'Documents to Chelsea. Unable to state cause', I wondered why that might be, for example might that in someway be related to the state of his mental health? ... how was the injury sustained etc.
    The roll of individuals entitled to the War Badge number 88088 in TH/276 has a red line across the entry and says badge returned list TH/117 3837/B issued. I don't know what that could mean.

Do you know if it is possible to get access to patient records for Rainhill or Lytham mental hospitals for that time?
    I am new to all this, so I apologise in advance if that is a stupid question.

Thanks to all for reading my post/replies and helping me in this matter

Famous for offering help & advice

It is interesting to note that there is a James TYSON born in the Fylde registration district in Q4 1894 which could make the James TYSON in the Fylde Mental Hospital born 13 Nov 1894 possibly him.
    That James was baptised 12th Jan 1895 at Kirkham, Lancs to a William and Hannah - he could possibly be the 1948 death at Fylde age 52 though that is a year out.
    Do you have an actual Birth Certificate for your James - I note his birth is Q1 of 1895 in West Derby?

The National Archives site lists places where Rainhill Hospital records are kept
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...tails/c/F91070

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Hi Mitch,
    James was baptised on 26th November at St Mary's church in Kirkdale Liverpool.. so I think the 13th Nov 1894 could well have been 'my' James Tyson. The baptism record shown on Ancestry website is correct with parents names Joseph and Mary Ann. So, the Q1 of 1895 must belong to someone else.
    Unfortunately I do not have a birth certificate.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Christina - I will check that straight away.

Lin

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast