Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Joseph Tyson married Mary Ann Johnson 2q 1974 W. Derby
    On the 1911 census there is also a Rose, Ellin and James Johnson, along with Joseph and Mary Ann Tyson plus their 5 sons and daughters.

On the 1901 census there is a son transcribed as Burher. As he does not appear on the 1911 I think this is Barker Tyson who died age 3 in 1904, Registerd 3q, W Derby.

Starting to feel at home

I have had a reply from Liverpool Central Library. They have passed my enquiry onto the researcher who deals with Rainhill hospital records, they explained that it may be a while before I get reply from researcher and in the meantime they sent me 2 documents about the records held for Rainhill.

I would highly recommend Liverpool Central library, if anyone needs to contact them for information.
    Thanks Sue, for pointing me in the right direction for medical record information.
    It looks like James Anthony Tyson was medically discharged from Army and then (dates of admission and discharge to be determined) admitted to Rainhill mental hospital as a result of his injuries/experiences in WW1.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Fold3 has pension records for James Tyson, No. 1989. A widow, Annie, is mentioned, along with a date of death of 21 Feb 1961. Although a little unclear, I think this is Annie's DoD. CORRECTION This is James's DoD. His probate says he died at Rainhill Hospital

The silver war badge No 65545 (on Ancestry under Jyson)shows he enlisted 12 May 1914 and was discharged 19 July 1916.

Under the column 'Cause of Discharge (wounds or sickness and para of KR' it quotes KR (Kings Regulations) Para 362 xvi, and written alongside this for his and several other entries it says "Documents at Chelsea, unable to state cause". All this means is they didnt know whether it was wounds or sickness.

Under the column "whether served overseas" it says No - which doesn't make sense if he received the 1915 Star, Victory Medal & British War Medal. Indeed, the medal roll for the 1915 star says he disembarked 3 May 1915

I cannot find any record of badge a No 88808 being issued, and nothing on the original list to suggest that the SWB was returned.
    Sorry about this, I am new to researching:
    What is fold3 and how do I access it please, and
    I have looked under gov.uk website for probate for James Anthony Tyson, died in Rainhill hospital 21st Feb 1961 - I get 0 results ... it may be that because I am new to this, I am looking in the wrong place? - where did you search please?

Starting to feel at home

Thank you, Rose was my grandmother,her brother and sister also moved there as children (to live with their Aunt Tyson), when their mother died in 1909.

Super Moderator

Probate records for James Tyson:

TYSON James of 9 Leopold Road, Liverpool died 21 February 1961 at Rainhill Hospital, Prescott, Lancashire. Administration Liverpool 13 October to Annie Tyson widow. Effects $1201.

The only marriage registration I found between a James Tyson and Annie is 4q 1913 W. Derby Annie's maiden name is Fisher.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Probate records for James Tyson:

TYSON James of 9 Leopold Road, Liverpool died 21 February 1961 at Rainhill Hospital, Prescott, Lancashire. Administration Liverpool 13 October to Annie Tyson widow. Effects $1201.

The only marriage registration I found between a James Tyson and Annie is 4q 1913 W. Derby Annie's maiden name is Fisher.
    I have requested a copy of will from gov.uk - this may help determine whether this is 'my' James Tyson - thank you.

Super Moderator

If the marriage entry for James Tyson and Annie Fisher is the correct one I would expect Annie to appear on his military records as next of kin.

Although I cannot find James on the index of the 1921 census, there is an Annie (Well quite a few in Liverpool) in Kirkdale along with a Mary, James Ernest and 3 others.

Starting to feel at home

If the marriage entry for James Tyson and Annie Fisher is the correct one I would expect Annie to appear on his military records as next of kin.

Although I cannot find James on the index of the 1921 census, there is an Annie (Well quite a few in Liverpool) in Kirkdale along with a Mary, James Ernest and 3 others.
    Unfortunately, I cannot find any military records for James - other than the records of forces war record site, which does not show next of kin.

Starting to feel at home

Was James born on the 13 November 1894? If so he is listed on the 1939 register at the Fylde Institution as an inmate and general labourer. It states he is single. Did your James marry?

You have probably seem the census returns on Ancestry for 1901 and 1911 when the family were living in Latham Street and Harcourt Street.

However there is another entry on the 1939 register to James Tyson, born 1894, again single. This time a patient at the County Mental Hospital in Lancashire.

He was born on 13th November 1894.
    The addresses shown in 1901 and 1911 census are correct for 'my' James.

About the 1939 register - I wondered whether he may have been a patient at Rainhill when 1939 register was recorded and that perhaps he had been moved as an inmate to Fylde when their register was recorded. Is that possible, do you think?
    As mentioned earlier, I am new to family history research - on the one hand it is very interesting, I am learning a lot, and yet, on the other hand (in this instance) it is very upsetting - to think that a relative, a young man, joined the army and fought in France and Flanders for his country, sustained such horrific injuries (whether physical and/or mental) that he spent a long time (or indeed the rest of his life) in a mental institution.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Fold3 has pension records for James Tyson, No. 1989. A widow, Annie, is mentioned, along with a date of death of 21 Feb 1961. Although a little unclear, I think this is Annie's DoD. CORRECTION This is James's DoD. His probate says he died at Rainhill Hospital

The silver war badge No 65545 (on Ancestry under Jyson)shows he enlisted 12 May 1914 and was discharged 19 July 1916.

Under the column 'Cause of Discharge (wounds or sickness and para of KR' it quotes KR (Kings Regulations) Para 362 xvi, and written alongside this for his and several other entries it says "Documents at Chelsea, unable to state cause". All this means is they didnt know whether it was wounds or sickness.

Under the column "whether served overseas" it says No - which doesn't make sense if he received the 1915 Star, Victory Medal & British War Medal. Indeed, the medal roll for the 1915 star says he disembarked 3 May 1915

I cannot find any record of badge a No 88808 being issued, and nothing on the original list to suggest that the SWB was returned.
    Thank you for this. I must admit that when 'I read Documents at Chelsea - unable to state cause'on TH/117, and knowing that James had been admitted to Rainhill hospital, I thought one of two things - that James had been injured by friendly fire or on a training exercise (that War Office would not want to become public for example) or that his injuries were so bad that they could not be documented.
    Just goes to show the danger of jumping to conclusions!

I still have not been able to find Fold3 showing pension records for James - would you be able to point me in the right direction please?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast