Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Alpineted View Post
    Hi Mitch,
    James was baptised on 26th November at St Mary's church in Kirkdale Liverpool.. so I think the 13th Nov 1894 could well have been 'my' James Tyson. The baptism record shown on Ancestry website is correct with parents names Joseph and Mary Ann. So, the Q1 of 1895 must belong to someone else.
    Unfortunately I do not have a birth certificate.
    Lin, the ONLY James Anthony TYSON in the birth index was registered in Quarter one of 1895 at West Derby which covers part of Liverpool, with a Mothers maiden name of JOHNSON. He could still have been born in November 1894(we know it was before the 26th), just his birth wasn't registered for a few weeks.
    Your James TYSON died in Prescot in 1957 aged 63 - he is probably also resident in Rainhill as J TYSON in the 1921 census. Rainhill Hospital is in the Prescot Registration District which is where James is in 1939.

It is possible that both these James TYSON have the same birth date - but at present you have nothing to prove the birthdate of your James and unfortunately the 1939 at Rainhill doesn't give a day and month. I would be very wary of presuming the 13 Nov 1894 at Fylde is yours. Good hunting!

Fold3 has pension records for James Tyson, No. 1989. A widow, Annie, is mentioned, along with a date of death of 21 Feb 1961. Although a little unclear, I think this is Annie's DoD. CORRECTION This is James's DoD. His probate says he died at Rainhill Hospital

The silver war badge No 65545 (on Ancestry under Jyson)shows he enlisted 12 May 1914 and was discharged 19 July 1916.

Under the column 'Cause of Discharge (wounds or sickness and para of KR' it quotes KR (Kings Regulations) Para 362 xvi, and written alongside this for his and several other entries it says "Documents at Chelsea, unable to state cause". All this means is they didnt know whether it was wounds or sickness.

Under the column "whether served overseas" it says No - which doesn't make sense if he received the 1915 Star, Victory Medal & British War Medal. Indeed, the medal roll for the 1915 star says he disembarked 3 May 1915

I cannot find any record of badge a No 88808 being issued, and nothing on the original list to suggest that the SWB was returned.

The baptism record (image) for James Anthony Tyson is on Familysearch and gives his date of birth as 13 Nov 1894.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...=99&cat=673632

This means the man in Fylde is definitely James Anthony Tyson, however, he did NOT serve under service No. 1989, as that man died in Rainhill Hospital on 21 Feb 1961.

SWB 88808 and its return are mentioned on the medal index card that I quoted..

Super Moderator

Looks like the records from Rainhill are to be found at the Liverpool Record Office located at the Liverpool Central Library. I can't see anything about the Lytham Hospital.

The 1939 register is not a census. It was taken in September 1939 just around the time of the start of WW2. I understand it was taken for the use of issuing rationing coupons. Not exactly sure about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    SWB 88808 and its return are mentioned on the medal index card that I quoted..
    I guess its moot since its not the right man, but I couldn't locate it yesterday by badge number or by name, but using the other reference (TH/276) I've got it now. Looks like the second one (88808) must have been issued in error as the reference to TH/117 is simply the page reference for badge 65545.

I only found it using his service number.. I haven’t seen SWBs on the medal index very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    The baptism record (image) for James Anthony Tyson is on Familysearch and gives his date of birth as 13 Nov 1894.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...=99&cat=673632

This means the man in Fylde is definitely James Anthony Tyson, however, he did NOT serve under service No. 1989, as that man died in Rainhill Hospital on 21 Feb 1961.

Thank you for that - so looks like I was very wrong and James TYSON at Fylde is James Anthony and the James TYSON born at Fylde in the same year goes elsewhere. I was trying to use a combination of the 1939 Register and death index to work out which James was which and that obviously backfired.
    The 1939 Register has James TYSON born 21 Jun 1890 with wife Annie in Liverpool, and he is presumably the 21 Feb 1961 death at Rainhill, service number 1989 - but he can't be the James TYSON in Rainhill on the 1939, so I'm still lost as to who he is!

He could be the James Tyson already mentioned - baptised at Kirkham 12 Jan 1895 to William & Hannah.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    He could be the James Tyson already mentioned - baptised at Kirkham 12 Jan 1895 to William & Hannah.
    The James Tyson at Rainhill has the DoB 13 Nov 1894, and there is a Territorial service record for James Tyson No. 3456 born Kirkham. His address is 33 Station Road, Kirkham, which matches the 1911 census, with his father also named as William.

He attested in January 1915 aged 20 years & 2 months, which would make his birth date November 1894.

He was discharged due to medical unfitness after 167 days (26 Jun 1915) and never served abroad.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast