Super Moderator

Default Ancestry Subscriptions

I have Worldwide Membership to Ancestry. I see there is an All Access membership.

Can anyone tell me what the advantage is for the All Access membership? would I be able to search births in South Africa, for example? I see I would have access to international BMD etc and am told I can learn about my ancestors in over 80 countries outside the UK.

My subscription renews soon and I am wondering if it is worth upgrading.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I know Ancestry and FMP have 'comparison' charts, showing what you get for your money in the various subscriptions, but all I can on Ancestry is what seems to be the equivalent of basic UK census, all UK and Ireland, and 'everything on Ancestry', the latter being what I call a World sub. This includes records for South Africa. Search the card catalog(ue) using South Africa as key words for the records you can access.

The 'everything on Ancestry' includes access to more than 3 billion international birth, marriage, death, census, military, church & other records as well as details about people in over 80 countries outside the UK & Ireland.

All Access includes everything on Ancestry, plus Fold 3, and Newspapers.com
    What is very interesting is that you can't easily find out the cost of All Access. Clicking on the 'current pricing' link takes you to a page that gives the prices only for the three main subs. https:
    //support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/All-Access-Membership

You can get 7 day free trials on both Fold3 and newspapers.com. as well as buying a monthly sub if you run out of time in that 7 days. (Fold3 monthly is 7.95 dollars; newspapers monthly £14.99.

After a load more digging, I've found the price for All Access is £224.99; everything on Ancestry is £179.99.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Also note All Access has restrictions on Newspapers.com - from Ancestry: "The Ancestry All Access membership includes access to the Newspapers.c​​​om Basic membership, which doesn’t include all images. With a Newspapers.c​​​om Publisher Extra membership, you can also see all of the actual images of the newspapers."

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    Also note All Access has restrictions on Newspapers.com - from Ancestry: "The Ancestry All Access membership includes access to the Newspapers.c​​​om Basic membership, which doesn’t include all images. With a Newspapers.c​​​om Publisher Extra membership, you can also see all of the actual images of the newspapers."
    Thanks for that little snippet, Mitch.
    Talk about squeezing every last penny from us.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Thanks for that little snippet, Mitch.
    Talk about squeezing every last penny from us.
    Unfortunately, in the last couple of days, and lot's of tooing and froing with Ancestry, it seems that they have done the same as FMP and removed the PAYG membership option from their site. It was the only option I (and probably lots of other people) can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by pat fowles View Post
    Unfortunately, in the last couple of days, and lot's of tooing and froing with Ancestry, it seems that they have done the same as FMP and removed the PAYG membership option from their site. It was the only option I (and probably lots of other people) can afford.
    I didn't know that the PAYG option had vanished from FMP. It's still mentioned as an option in one sentence on their website, so I will be taking issue with them about that.

I know it's annoying because the PAYG credits had a longer 'shelf-life' than a month but with both FMP and Ancestry you can take out a monthly sub for not much more than the PAYG option cost.
    FMP's charges, plus what you get for your dosh. https://www.
    findmypast.co.uk/subscribe

Ancestry's options (though their all UK and Ireland monthly charge is about double what the PAYG option used to cost). https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/subscribe

If you have family, you could always ask them to club together and buy you a gift subscription (for Christmas or your birthday}, which is available on both sites. Ancestry's minimum is for six months. FMP's is for a month.

I can’t help thinking that this thread should be stuck somewhere for a while, with a broader title..

Valued member of Brit-Gen

The problem with the monthly subs is that you have to keep cancelling it or you get charged again. With PAYG it was a one off payment.

Reputation beyond repute

FMP now seem to call PAYG "micropayments". This is a pay-per-record arrangement so I don't think there is a concept of "expiry".

I'm not sure about this but I think that operating some sort of a PAYG system is a condition of the contract with the National Archives. If the National Archives points you towards one of their records on FMP or Ancestry or wherever, you ought to be able to view that one record at a sensible price.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I cancel my subs 2 weeks before they run out, usually before Xmas. Then wait until I get offer for half price access for the following year. that offer usually comes in January.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.