Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jackson

Famous for offering help & advice

Gilly, the reason people are posting information you already have is that having full details of all names/dates/places helps us in the search. Even knowing when/where Robert Percy died can help.

You say he was a policeman in Manchester - when was this? In 1921 he's in Croydon and they must have been in Leeds when Winifred Barbara was born.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Gilly, the reason people are posting information you already have is that having full details of all names/dates/places helps us in the search. Even knowing when/where Robert Percy died can help.

You say he was a policeman in Manchester - when was this? In 1921 he's in Croydon and they must have been in Leeds when Winifred Barbara was born.
    Robert Percy Littler, I believe he died in Dec 1964 Prescot Lancashire he was retired. He wasn't married to Isobel Winifred Jackson, he was already married, twice. He may have been transferred to Leeds. He moved about quite a bit. Isobel Winifred I noted on the England & Wales 1984-2004 index was registered as Winifred Jackson Oct 1929 South Manchester, Lancs vol 8d page 26.

There is a burial in the Non-Conformist section of the Southern Cemetery, Manchester on 26 Oct 1929 of a Winifred Jackson. Unfortunately I don't have any credits to get more information, but they cost £12 for 4 here (Manchester City Council website): https://www.burialrecords.manchester...GenSearch.aspx

ADDED: From her death registration she was 34.

ADDED: There is a probate record for her - she was the wife of Wilfred Jackson, Motor Driver
    Last edited by Jomot1; 13-07-2022 at 7:07 PM. Reason: added info

Also I think you may have the wrong death for Robert Percy - this one looks more likely & ties in with his 1884 birth registration:

LITTLER, ROBERT PERCY aged 70 GRO Reference: 1955 M Quarter in SURREY MID-EASTERN Volume 05G Page 322

Brick wall demolition expert!

Robert P Littler appears in the 1939 Register at 110 Clapham Road, Oval, Lambeth, London – a retired police sergeant born 6 July 1884. It looks as though he is either a boarder or living with relations (surname Chard).

Brick wall demolition expert!

I cannot see a death for Isobel Winifred Jackson or Littler in England and Wales anywhere.

There are two deaths for Isobel Jackson (a) born 1896 died 1973 Rochford, Essex or (b) born 1893 died 1974 Bury, Lancashire. As these are 50 years later than your belief, can you tell us why you believe she died around 1928?

This is the death reg you mentioned.
    This is the same one I found with links to a Winifred Cavanagh.

Winifred Cavanagh married Wilfred Jackson,1924,Withington,Manchester.

I don’t think the death we both found is your Isobel Winifred Jackson.

Name: Winifred Jackson
    Death Age: 34
    Birth Date: abt 1895
    Registration Date: Oct 1929
    [Nov 1929]
    [Dec 1929]
    Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
    Registration District: South Manchester
    Inferred County: Lancashire
    Volume: 8d
    Page: 26

Three more questions, if I may,

Was Winifred Barbara commonly known as Jackson or Littler? It wasn't until the 1960's that a child was given its own surname at birth, so her birth is actually registered under BOTH parent's surnames:

Jackson Winifred B mmn Jackson Leeds 9b 437
    Littler Winifred B mmn Jackson Leeds 9b 437

Also did she remain with her father, and do you know where she grew up?

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Three more questions, if I may,

Was Winifred Barbara commonly known as Jackson or Littler? It wasn't until the 1960's that a child was given its own surname at birth, so her birth is actually registered under BOTH parent's surnames:

Jackson Winifred B mmn Jackson Leeds 9b 437
    Littler Winifred B mmn Jackson Leeds 9b 437

Also did she remain with her father, and do you know where she grew up?
    Jomot1, Winifred Barbara Littler is on her birth certificate that I have. I don't know where she went when her mother died, so I haven't a clue, but it's a possibility if his then-wife agreed. All I know is that she didn't go to her grandmother, Winifred Margaret Jackson. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly Lewis View Post
    Jomot1, Winifred Barbara Littler is on her birth certificate that I have. I don't know where she went when her mother died, so I haven't a clue, but it's a possibility if his then-wife agreed. All I know is that she didn't go to her grandmother, Winifred Margaret Jackson. Many thanks
    Gilly, look at the birth certificate again - it will not have a surname for Winifred Barbara, it will show her father's name & surname first (column 4), and then her mother name & surname (column 5), but there is no box/column for the child's surname. That wasn't introduced until the 1960's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast