Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Abhayjeet View Post
    The records of My Grandpa are found ? Please tell me in detail i am not able to understand .
    Please send me any information if you got regarding my grandpa. I want to ask that how his service number is 4404 ? On medals it is written different sir.

A fountain of knowledge

I have asked them about his Service number being different to the two numbers on the medals.At present I do not know how to attach the two documents.

"Thank you for your Enquiry regarding Bir Singh. Indeed, I must agree with our colleages in the National Army Museum that it is a common name so it requires some perseverance to find the person we are actually looking for. I looked at many records for Bir Singhs here in the library but none seems to match the information we already had on him. However, I didn’t find any records mentioning that name in our database for service records.I might have found a document that mentions him According to the digitized documents (attached), in 26/06/1918 he was admitted to a hospital to be treated because of an abscess (?), apparently he was there for 3 days. According to one of them he was labelled as H for Hindu (as opposed to M for Muslim). First name(s) BirLast name SinghAdmission year 1918Admission date 26 Jun 1918Hospital No 31 Casualty Clearing StationRank SepoyService number 4404Battalion 91stCorps 9punjabisTransfer year 1918Transfer date 28 Jun 1918Archive The National ArchivesSeries description War Office: First World War Representative Medical Records of ServicemenPiece MH 106/676Register type Hospital admission and discharge registersDescription Evacuations.Record year range 1918 July 1-Aug.31Country Great BritainRecord set British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical RecordsCategory Military, armed forces & conflictSubcategory First World WarCollections from Great Britain, UK None(Record Transcription: British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records |
    And just to compile the information you already had on him:· he was born between 1890-1895, in the village Attawa, district Amabala, Punjab. · His father’s name was Gujjar Singh.· He served in the 91st Punjab Light infantry· He got 2 medals: copper ‘6295 SEPOY BIR SINGH,91 punjabis’ and silver ‘295 SEPOY BIR SINGH,91 punjabis’.
    The other sources suggested can also be helpful to find more details about him (https://www.empirefaithwar.com/tell-t...source-records), but that would require further investigation online. Now that we know his service number (4404) it should be easier to trace him in other archives and to try to retrieve his service records with the Adjutant General's Office in India. The Adjutant-General's Office
    Ministry of Defence (Army) HQ
    Room No. 280
    South Block
    New Delhi 110011
    INDIA
    E-mail: [email protected]

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    I have asked them about his Service number being different to the two numbers on the medals.At present I do not know how to attach the two documents.

"Thank you for your Enquiry regarding Bir Singh. Indeed, I must agree with our colleages in the National Army Museum that it is a common name so it requires some perseverance to find the person we are actually looking for. I looked at many records for Bir Singhs here in the library but none seems to match the information we already had on him. However, I didn’t find any records mentioning that name in our database for service records.I might have found a document that mentions him According to the digitized documents (attached), in 26/06/1918 he was admitted to a hospital to be treated because of an abscess (?), apparently he was there for 3 days. According to one of them he was labelled as H for Hindu (as opposed to M for Muslim). First name(s) BirLast name SinghAdmission year 1918Admission date 26 Jun 1918Hospital No 31 Casualty Clearing StationRank SepoyService number 4404Battalion 91stCorps 9punjabisTransfer year 1918Transfer date 28 Jun 1918Archive The National ArchivesSeries description War Office: First World War Representative Medical Records of ServicemenPiece MH 106/676Register type Hospital admission and discharge registersDescription Evacuations.Record year range 1918 July 1-Aug.31Country Great BritainRecord set British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical RecordsCategory Military, armed forces & conflictSubcategory First World WarCollections from Great Britain, UK None(Record Transcription: British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records |
    And just to compile the information you already had on him:· he was born between 1890-1895, in the village Attawa, district Amabala, Punjab. · His father’s name was Gujjar Singh.· He served in the 91st Punjab Light infantry· He got 2 medals: copper ‘6295 SEPOY BIR SINGH,91 punjabis’ and silver ‘295 SEPOY BIR SINGH,91 punjabis’.
    The other sources suggested can also be helpful to find more details about him (https://www.empirefaithwar.com/tell-...source-records), but that would require further investigation online. Now that we know his service number (4404) it should be easier to trace him in other archives and to try to retrieve his service records with the Adjutant General's Office in India. The Adjutant-General's Office
    Ministry of Defence (Army) HQ
    Room No. 280
    South Block
    New Delhi 110011
    INDIA
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Okay sir, sir please tell me surely that 4404 is my grandpa’s service number ? Does birthplace or any of the info i provided matches ? Please clear my doubt sir!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhayjeet View Post
    Okay sir, sir please tell me surely that 4404 is my grandpa’s service number ? Does birthplace or any of the info i provided matches ? Please clear my doubt sir!
    In the email Jill sent it says
    ·
    which is what you said in post #24 and post #1.
    Looks like his service number was 4404, and not either of the numbers quoted on the medals.
    I would suggest that you go through some of the records you've previously found, now searching with the service number of 4404.

There's an additional site mentioned in the email to Gillian for you to search, as well as the office (Adjutant-General's) for you to contact for details of his service record.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

In my post 32 I said:

"I have asked them about his Service number being different to the two numbers on the medals.
    At present I do not know how to attach the two documents."

In the meantime if anyone knows difference between service number and the two numbers on the medals
    I am curious - also I have the two documents to add so any input as to how to do that would be welcome
    if easy!

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    In my post 32 I said:

"I have asked them about his Service number being different to the two numbers on the medals.
    At present I do not know how to attach the two documents."

In the meantime if anyone knows difference between service number and the two numbers on the medals
    I am curious - also I have the two documents to add so any input as to how to do that would be welcome
    if easy!
    Can you send me on email- [email protected]
    If other forum members give permission to send. I dont know whether i can ask for this or not

A fountain of knowledge

Thank you for giving me your email which is much easier for me than trying to work out how to attach
    to our messages.. I have just emailed you and also sent the two attachments.

When I copied the information I was given and put it onlineNo. 32 it made a mess of it so I copied
    the main points in the email so it is clearer.I'll copy it again below to see if it copies properly.

Good luck! Let me/us know how you get on!

First name(s) Bir

Last name Singh

Admission year 1918

Admission date 26 Jun 1918

Hospital No 31 Casualty Clearing Station

Rank Sepoy

Service number 4404

Battalion 91st

Corps 9punjabis

Transfer year 1918

Transfer date 28 Jun 1918

Archive The National Archives

Series description War Office: First World War Representative Medical Records of Servicemen

Piece MH 106/676

Register type Hospital admission and discharge registers

Description Evacuations.

Record year range 1918 July 1-Aug.31

Country Great Britain

Record set British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records

Category Military, armed forces & conflict

Subcategory First World War

Collections from Great Britain, UK None

(Record Transcription: British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records |

And just to compile the information you already had on him:

· he was born between 1890-1895, in the village Attawa, district Amabala, Punjab.

· His father’s name was Gujjar Singh.

· He served in the 91st Punjab Light infantry

· He got 2 medals: copper ‘6295 SEPOY BIR SINGH,91 punjabis’ and silver ‘295 SEPOY BIR SINGH,91 punjabis’.

A fountain of knowledge

Thank you for your email just received in which you write:

"Sir how can we say that this Bir Singh is My real Grandpa ? His service number was 4404 ?
    Sir please kindly explain me in easy words that what was his work in ww1, where his posting was, where he died, posting date and year etc"

I am sorry but I am unable to provide more information. I have given you all the information that
    is online but someone else found for me. We have given you his Service No and they gave details with
    email address for the Records held in India. I thought I had said that you need to get his records in India
    ie any information they hold for that Service Number which should tell you if he is your relative.

Settling in

Okay
    Please tell me that what is written in diseases column in both documents as i am not able to understand?

A fountain of knowledge

I think he had an abscess on a finger - I don't know medical terms but it may also say "on T finger" which possibly might be the thumb. An abscess is I believe an infection possibly from an injury. Type in abscess on google translate and the language you want it translated to. In fact I just did that and said Hindi

फोड़ा
    phoda

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234