Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    This puzzles me. An adoption certificate shows the adoptive name, not the birth name. If, on the other hand, he doesn't mean "adoption certificate" but means the birth certificate annotated "adopted" then why is he asking the question.
    It is possible Garry is referring to the 'Adoption Order or Provisional Adoption Order' Certificate being the document he saw with both names on. Mine is issued(1974) by a County Court and reads basically that
    1. In the matter of 'birth name' an infant
    Where an application has been made by adopted father of and adopted mother for an adoption order in respect of 'birth name'.

The bottom third of the document is the schedule of entry and shows my date and place of birth and new name 'Mitch in Notts ', plus names, address and occupations of my adopted parents. This is the information that is transferred to the Adopted Children Register, which I also have. Buying the original birth certificate, which Garry has now done, is a logical first step.

Mitch

Thank you Mitch, this sort of description could be useful to a lot of people.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Mitch, yes I believe that's the document

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Just a further note, as a result of Christanel advice On FreeBMD I have found my sisters entry on the index.
    My parents adopted my birth sister a year after me. They were told by the adoption people that the same people had another baby. Thankyou, it's an interesting search!

I see that your sister's birth registration only has the mother's maiden name Thompson. Maybe another birth certificate to purchase just to see how it differs from yours.

If you need any more help in your research you know where to find us.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Well that happened quickly. My birth certificate arrived from the UK yesterday and I think I've shed a little more light on the surname quandary. On my birth cert the fathers name is blank but my mothers name is Patricia Ann Eichenhofer "otherwise Thompson" of Preston Cottages, Pax Hill, Lindfield. I've been furiously researching and I think the "Thompson" may have come from her Auntie and Uncle, Charles and Hannah Thompson (nee Eichenhofer). Her dad died when she was 12 and I'm thinking that if they took her in she may have used the surname. She then went on to have my sister a year later, who was also adopted by my parents and then married Edward J Fraser a year after that in 1964. On my sisters index she only uses the Thompson surname.
    Still a lot of digging to do. Thanks for your help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12