Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Brilliant! Not only for the publication, but also for the fact that it gives his address in 1702! It would be nice to have a copy, but there’s no hurry. He comes under the heading of “fun when stuck on other things” on my priority list. My email address is on the list in the Mod’s Lounge.
    I’ve seen Toland’s name before. He seemed embarrassed by Hill’s pronouncements.

Wondered if this might be Oliver?
    https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/tex...43797.0001.001

Clicking on "View entire text" comes with a warning.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Re. "View entire text", the document amounts to 68 pages (but yet to download).

Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
    Hill, Oliver - Anita McConnell, published in print and available on line 23 September 2004

"Hill, Oliver (b.1630?, d.after 1702), theologian and government agent, may be the son of Adam Hill of Huntingdonshire, admitted pensioner, aged 18, at St. John's College, Cambridge, on 23 Oct 1648. He was an acquaintance of Robert Boyle, whose contacts extended to men of extreme religious positions, and of ...".

Unfortunately, my free access does not extend to seeing the full article (subscription required).

Correction - it does! However, too lengthy to repeat here. Will arrange to send copy.

Have forwarded the item from the Oxford Dictionary.

You're making this look easy! I thought my Uni account would let me in, but it seems not - we're a Univ of Technology. "Government agent" would explain a couple of things. Boyle WAS in contact with many on what I might call in 21st century terms the middle-right and yet asked Croune to propose him. Maybe that's why Boyle didn't do the deed himself. I'm currently downloading a copy of Alumni Cantabrigienses that's old enough to be available.

Well, there's a disappointment: "HILL, OLIVER. Adm. pens, (age 18) at St John's, Oct. 23, 1648.
    S. of Adam, Esq., of Huntingdonshire. F.R.S., 1676. Author.".

PS Many thanks for the text.

Check out google books "Spain under Charles the Second" by Alexander Stanhope, 1690-1699.

Many thanks. It took a while to find the correct volume as the Internet Archive has several with different numbers of chapters. In the end, I chose the largest file, which was good.
    Today is a catalogue day, but I’m sure that Mr Hill will invade my weekend!

Have just sent Oliver's "A rod for the back of fools, ...".

He really didn’t like experimental science, did he? I love the article where he says that blood circulation only happens in corpses, and anyone believing otherwise is a fool..

(Later)
    Golly.the article you sent made a surreal background to the Ladies’ Final at Wimbledon! I had to stop reading after the first couple of pages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast