Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Ashby - Ball marriage, Yelvertoft

My ancestor "Jane Ashby" was baptised in Yelvertoft, Northants/Northamptonshire in 1641. She was the daughter of Richard Ashby and wife Alice (nee Ball - family records show "Ball", but the ink was badly faded, so I wonder if her maiden name might be "Hall", or ???).

Family sheet shows Richard Ashby and Alice married in 1637 (after Richard's death, Alice later remarried to Joseph Walton by whom she had at least 3 daughters). I used to be in contact with someone from Yelvertoft who told me that portions of the local parish records are missing or so badly faded that you can't make out many entries. So far, I haven't been able to find a marriage for Richard and Alice. I do believe they were actually married, as none of their children's baptism records show them as "base" or "illegitimate" children of Richard and Alice.

Would appreciate any help in finding the marriage date for Richard and Alice - was it in 1637, and was Alice's maiden name really "Ball". Even if the local records for that time period are faded, etc. - would there be any other way to find a record or mention of their marriage?

In addition to my direct line through their daughter "Jane" baptised in 1641, there were at least 3 other children born to Richard and Alice:

Thomas - moved to London
    Alice -
    Richard - baptised in Yelvertoft 1645/46 He moved to London where he did quite
    well. He left money for the founding of a charity school in Yelvertoft, and a plaque to
    him is in All Saints Church in Yelvertoft. He may be buried inside the church as well.
    He died in August of 1719.

Here is a link to the baptism info. for "Jane" who I descend from, dau of Richard and Alice:

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_re...5-14?locale=en

Will appreciate any ideas/help......

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Just because the children were baptised in Yelvertoft doesn't mean that Richard and Alice married there, so have you checked other places? Marriages traditionally took place in the bride's home parish.

Yelvertoft isn't that far from the boundary of Northamptonshire with those of Leicestershire and Warwickshire so you might like to consider those counties as well. In fact, I've just checked the parishes map on FamilySearch, and one of the villages adjacent to Yelvertoft is Hillmorton which is in Warwickshire.
    Type Yelvertoft into the search box, and you can then see the precise location of the parish in relation to other parishes. There's also other information to be found by clicking the links/tabs.
    https://www.familysearch.org/mapp/

Have you also searched for a possible baptism for Alice senior?
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for the great suggestion regarding nearby parishes where the marriage
    might have taken place. When I had subscriptions to both Ancestry and Findmypast,
    I tried every which way/combination for a marriage between a Richard and an Alice
    through a broad time span and nothing came up (no matter what county). I have been
    to All Saints church in Yelvertoft during a holiday to the UK - was able to see many
    of the headstones of my relatives in the churchyard, so I will keep trying. I believe I
    have tried for baptism of Alice "Ball" or "Hall", but not sure, so something to check
    out.

Starting to feel at home

Going with Pam's suggestion - just found this entry for a baptism of possibly Alice in
    1618. I believe "this" Alice though married someone other than Richard Ashby. I vaguely
    remember this Alice from past research and dismissed her, but who knows?

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_re...9-13?locale=en

Also, didn't think of these other possible last names till now (might have been Alice's maiden
    name instead of "Ball":

Bell, Belle, Hull (the sheet that came down to me in the family is so worn and faded that
    it's hard to make out the second letter - is it an "a", an "e", a "u". Thanks again...
    I'm going to keep searching.

Super Moderator

I am looking at the parish records baptisms for 1641 from Yelverton. The writing is very difficult to read but I still cannot see any mention of Jane, daughter of Richard. Perhaps someone else might be able to find her in the list.

Super Moderator

There is a marriage in the Parish Registers from Northampton All Saints - September 1633 Richard Ashby and Alice Robard. When and where did Richard die?

Starting to feel at home

Here is the entry on the FREEREG site for "Jane, dau of Richard Ashby and wife Alice" - baptised
    May 14th 1641 in Yelvertoft at All Saints church. I also had a friend who used to live in
    Yelvertoft who went to the Record Office back in the 1990's and saw the entry in the Registers.

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_re...5-14?locale=en

Super Moderator

I meant Yelvertoft not Yelverton. Anyway I still cannot see the baptism in the Parish Registers. The writing is almost unreadable. I am looking with Ancestry, just did a search for Jane Ashby, Yelvertoft and the Parish Register for Baptisms 1641 appear. However on the transcription is stated March 1641 not May.

I have been trying to attach a photo of the register page but not having much success. I am going to look again to see if I can find her.

Super Moderator

Found her. There is no date, just 1641. Jane daughter of Richard and Alice.......can't read the rest the writing is too faint. If anyone else looks, the entry is the second down in 1641 on the actual register page.

Starting to feel at home

Many thanks - I was going to say "please don't wear your eyes out searching anymore", and then I saw your post that you found her. I wonder where FreeReg got the date of baptism as 14th May 1641, since what
    you looked at only shows the year of 1641, but no month? As far as when Richard died - I only remember that
    Alice his widow remarried to Joseph Walton in the mid 1650's or 1660's? Sorry, a few of my boxes
    of info are at another location. Alice and Joseph did have at least 3 children, and perhaps others. Thank you for the mention of the marr you found for a Richard Ashby and an Alice Robard in 1633 - the name "Robard" isn't even close to "Ball" or "Bell" or "Bull" or "Hall", but stranger things have happened, and
    I will certainly keep this as a posssibility. Thanks very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast