Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Harry Brown marries Mary ????

Good Evening,

I have another brick wall for my genealogical friend to help me climb please. I have the following information to start with....

Thomas Charles Brown born abt 1880 Westminster, London, UK, marries Evelyn (Eveline) Martha Hunt on 04.04.1904 St George's Hanover Square, London.

On Thomas's military rccords at the time of his death on 17.03.1918 it states he is the son of Harry and Mary Brown, of Westminster and the wife of Evelyn Martha Brown. Parents are not described as "late", so I "assume" they are still alive?

The only birth record I can find about that time is the Dec q 1880 in Holborn, London, Vol: 1B Page: 746, Mother's maiden name of Westaway. I am unable to find a marriage of a Brown and a Westaway, although perhaos they were not married at the time, but was given the Father's surname (not sure of this comment)!!

Any ideas you can come up with please?

Once again thank you in advance for any help.

Regards,

Carol

Famous for offering help & advice

The Brown/Westaway marriage seems to be in 1873, Islington - John Richard Brown & Louisa Westaway.

Various children are then born in Holborn starting with Louisa Elizabeth Caroline Brown in 1874.

Super Moderator

The marriage certificate of Thomas and Eveline Martha was solemnized at the parish church of St. Andrew, Ashley Place, Westminster. Father Henry, occupation Waiter.

I have been looking at his military records dated 9 Dec (?) 1915. I cannot find any mention of his parents, his next of kin being his wife and the four children. All living in Ashton under Lyme

On CWGC site the details state son of Harry and Mary Brown of Westminster and husband of Eveline.

Do you know if Thomas had any brothers or sisters?

On the marraige cert Thomas states his occupation as Pleater. Any ideas what that would be other than fabrics? I saw a census entry for a Tom Brown who was an accordion pleating machine worker!

Class: RG13; Piece: 95; Folio: 59; Page: 19
    26 Wilfred Street,(same address as marraige cert)
    Mary Brown widow 43
    Tom Brown 20
    James Brown 10

Mary (same POB) states ,single,is in the St George Union workhouse with James,transcription states James is 7 but image looks like under 7 months.

Default Harry Brown marrying Mary ????

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    The marriage certificate of Thomas and Eveline Martha was solemnized at the parish church of St. Andrew, Ashley Place, Westminster. Father Henry, occupation Waiter.

I have been looking at his military records dated 9 Dec (?) 1915. I cannot find any mention of his parents, his next of kin being his wife and the four children. All living in Ashton under Lyme

On CWGC site the details state son of Harry and Mary Brown of Westminster and husband of Eveline.

Do you know if Thomas had any brothers or sisters?
    Hi
    Thanks for your comments. I do not know if Thomas Charles Brown, son of Harry and Mary had any siblings? The marriage I was looking for is of a Harry (Henry) Brown as marrying a Mary Westaway. Can not find his parents in any censuses either?
    Over to you .....
    Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    On the marraige cert Thomas states his occupation as Pleater. Any ideas what that would be other than fabrics? I saw a census entry for a Tom Brown who was an accordion pleating machine worker!

Class: RG13; Piece: 95; Folio: 59; Page: 19
    26 Wilfred Street,(same address as marraige cert)
    Mary Brown widow 43
    Tom Brown 20
    James Brown 10
    Hi Pam, Can you tell me which census return you found this info on please.
    Carol

Sorry,1901 census. I’ve just edited post and added info from 1891 too.

James was born 7 Sep 1890 in the Buckingham Palace Road Workhouse, St George, Westminster. Mother Mary. Noted as illegitimate.

ADDED: Likely birth?
    BROWN, JAMES (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1890 S Quarter in ST GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE Volume 01A Page 434

Super Moderator

I cannot find anything. No Eveline/Evelyn Brown on any census returns, even the 1921, no registration of any of the children mentioned. I did find a birth reg for a Eveline Marth Hunt in 1875 though.

Anyone else found anything?

Not really helping, but this looks like Mary in 1881 at 6 Hawick Place, Westminster - RG11/119/58/7

Mary Ann BROWN 23 Servant, Single b Wymondham, Norfolk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast