Default Levi and Esther SAMUEL

I am looking for information on Levi and Esther SAMUEL, a Jewish couple who had a son Simon, born in Houndsditch, London, on 25 April 1779. Simon later joined the navy and started using the surname SMITH. He was a seaman on board the HMS Hussar, which was wrecked near Brest in 1804, and he was a prisoner of war in Givet prison in the Ardennes. In 1813 he met and married a French woman, a Catholic, and was baptised into the Catholic faith prior to the marriage. They had three children in France before returning to London in 1819, where a successful application was made to join the 1820 Settler scheme to the Cape of Good Hope. This is where my interest comes in, as I am researching the pre 1820 roots of all the 1820 settlers. Simon, however, changed his name, and emigrated as John Joseph SMITH. Fortunately his 1813 baptism in France reveals who his birth parents were.

Joseph's baptism record in France (translation by researcher)

'The year 1813, 15th January, Us priest undersigned having baptized Simon SAMUEL, son of Levi SAMUEL and of Esther, Jewish of origin, born in London, district of Houndsditch, on 25 April 1779, English war prisoner from the frigate “Le Hussard”, presently at the deposit of the prison of Givet. Jointly with his godfather and his godmother he took the name of Jean Joseph. The godfather was Jean Joseph DUTILLEUX, in Givet and godmother Marie Louise LÉCUYER, in Mazée, wife of Jean Joseph DUTILLEUX, farmer in Mazée, canton of Givet, Ardennes. Master JACQUES, vicar of this church and serving in Rancennes, was present at the baptism, received after a long training Jean Joseph SAMUEL, who signed with us, and Master Jacques vicar of this church and Marie Louise Lécuyer, the godfather declared not to know.'

Hence my query - is there any way to find out more about Levi and Esther SAMUEL?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Hi Sue
    I have been looking for records on Levi Samuel and Esther and the problem is locating early data particularly Jewish records. There is reference to Simon in Shemot August 2017.Some Jewish sailors in the Royal Navy before Trafalgar. Alan Cohen. I have not got access to the article but it is available from the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain.
    JewishGen -Jewish Surnames in London Registered Insurance Policies has records on a Levi/Levy Samuel ( they may well be 2 different individuals)- White Street to Somerset Street Whitechapel 1762; Merchant 4 Somerset Street Whitechapel 1775; 34 Somerset Street Whitechapel 1769-1778 and 1781; 2 Gould Square Crutched Friars 1778-1786;5 Prospect Row Mile End 1786-1789. This last record says that he has died and his daughters Elizabeth and Hannah are executors 1793.

There is a Levi Samuel Apothecary and salesman back of Manor Row, Near Tower Hill 1792.

See Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA 469 -1793 Levy Samuel. This individual does not name his daughters as executors.

There are Old Bailey online records for Levi and Levy Samuel and Simon Samuel but no way of confirming if they are the individuals you are researching.

I suspect that when Simon converted his family would not have responded well so you may find that any family wills omit his name.
    I will look further.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Thanks so much Phillip. I know it's like looking for a needle in a haystack! I will try and get hold of the article you mention.

ETA: Have managed to download it from https://www.academia.edu/36948169/_S...TRAFALGAR_docx
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Hi Sue
    There is a Levy Samuel of Hounditch 1771 Merchant who is a signature to oaths at the Middlesex Session - see London Lives website. Also, Levi Samuel Lees Court St.Katharine by the Tower 1779- London Tax Records.

There aren't accessible Jewish early marriage records for the period you are researching pre supposing that Levi/Esther were married in the UK.

I will still take a further look.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"