Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default 1851 census William Hawksby

Hi All...Still looking for 1851 census for William Hawksby b <1821> Knaresborough. His wife was Florence b 1817, children James b 1849 Chipping Sodbury. Daughter b 1851 Chipping Sodbury, bapt August 1851 Abode Swangrove, Badminton, Father Butler. In 1854 the family are in Manchester. Thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Anyone wishing to help might like to check out these previous posts re William and family.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...hlight=Hawksby

https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...hlight=hawksby

Pat - in days gone by you asked the same question re William's baptism in three different threads which I have now merged into one. See the second link.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Pam...Def in 'days gone by' and still can't find them in 1851, or any info on William' birth.

Super Moderator

Was Florence's maiden name Snell? (Florene Anning Snell). As the only marriage registration I can find between a William and a Florence is 1848 in St. James, Middlesex. OK just found James Snell Hawksby's birth registration in 1849 so sure it was Florence Anning who married William. Now William was born in Yorkshire, the marriage took place in Westminster (London) but James was born in Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire.

In 1861 Florence is living in Rusholme with the children but not with her husband, so where was William and do you know what he did for a living?

Does the 1861 specify married or widow for Florence?

Super Moderator

In 1861 Florene states Marr. But, as we know, we can only be guided by census returns and not take the info as correct. So Florence could be a widow, married, separated or William could just be living somewhere else due to his work..

All true. And in one case I know of, bigamist...
    It's use to know, though.

Super Moderator

I have just found a baptism in 1859 for a Sarah Joy Hawksby in Hulme (Lancaster). I see that the father's profession was a Butler. Reading the first post I thought the name of a father was Butler! The address was 12 Peel Place. Elizabeth Jessie was baptised 31 July 1861 in Rusholme, Lancaster. Father still a Butler, living in Brunswick Street, Rusholme. Birthdates agree with baptism years.

Found a William Hawksby on the 1861. Living at Victoria Park, Rusholme. Occupation: Domestic Servant. Stated as Marr. but not with wife. Looks like he is working for a Edward R. Longworthy who is a Cotton Merchant.

Found out that should be Edward Ryley Langworthy who later became a Member of Parliament. Of course none of this helps with the original post but it is all very interesting.

It was common for live in servants to have families living fairly near by, especially higher servants.

Super Moderator

William is on the 1871 census too, still working for Edward Langworthy, but I can't find him after that date. There is a discrepancy with his age though. The 1871 has his birth year as 1818, the 1861 as 1820. Not a great deal of difference but enough to think that neither could be right.

There is a death registration: Chorlton 1874 William Hawksby age 54. So that would make his YOB 1820 and Chorlton is Manchester. In 1881 Florence was a Widow. So I think that death registration is the correct William. Only obtaining a certificate may give more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast