Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    8,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biggirlsblouse View Post
    Random related question about street numbers... Do street numbers in Birmingham have 2 4 6 8 etc on one side of the road and 1 3 5 7 etc on the other? Or is it just 1 2 3 4 5?

    I have been attempting to find rough locations in Google Maps and I've been having a confuse!
    Today, most roads/streets have alternate numbers on each side; i.e. 2, 4, 6, 8 on one side, and 1,3,5,7, on the other.
    That was not necessarily always the case, and over the years some roads/streets have been re-numbered. The house my dad was born in was 119, it's now 59. Similarly, mum was born at number 14, but that's now 28.

    Look at the census pages. Not the schedule numbers - they're an entirely different thing altogether.
    Second column in 1851 says that John is living at 59 Hatchett Street, with numbers 58 and 60 either side of him. So I expect that that street has been re-numbered today, with number 59 now being 119. Or would be had not all the houses been knocked down and replaced by industrial units!!! (I've just checked Street view. )

    You can check out the other census.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

  2. #12
    Starting to feel at home biggirlsblouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Just be careful which one you pick.
    There's two aged 59, dying in Birmingham registration district in 1859. One in September quarter and on in December quarter.
    There's also one aged 56, dying in September quarter 1859.

    The biggest hurdle in death registrations is how well the person who registered the death knew the deceased, and therefore how accurate that information is given other documentation. I don't know if he knows now, but at one time my son only knew my birthday, not the year I was born!
    Hee! Your son! Mine knows my birthday is his and a half birthday, so he's all over the date.

    I found the probate stuff that had a definite date of death for him, which helped work out which one I was looking for - he's the December quarter one. I've ordered it, so fingers crossed I have selected correctly.

    Jodi

  3. #13

    Default

    Generally, yes, there are even numbers on one side of the road and odd on the other. However, house/building numbers changed so if you are looking for a particular house number in say 1881, it would probably be a different number now!

  4. #14

    Default

    Pam has already explain this - sorry Pam, didn't see your reply.

  5. #15
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    8,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Pam has already explain this - sorry Pam, didn't see your reply.
    No probs, Sue.
    I've lost count of the number of times I've seen a query in a thread, replied to it without reading the rest of the posts, only to find one of the unread posts had already answered the query.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

  6. #16
    Valued member of Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    reading
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Today, most roads/streets have alternate numbers on each side; i.e. 2, 4, 6, 8 on one side, and 1,3,5,7, on the other.
    That was not necessarily always the case, and over the years some roads/streets have been re-numbered. The house my dad was born in was 119, it's now 59. Similarly, mum was born at number 14, but that's now 28.

    Look at the census pages. Not the schedule numbers - they're an entirely different thing altogether.
    Second column in 1851 says that John is living at 59 Hatchett Street, with numbers 58 and 60 either side of him. So I expect that that street has been re-numbered today, with number 59 now being 119. Or would be had not all the houses been knocked down and replaced by industrial units!!! (I've just checked Street view. )

    You can check out the other census.
    Hatchett st did not renumber. The street was complete by the 1880s, could not be extended , was not merged with another street or cut down in size, these being the main reasons why previously consecutively numbered streets were renumbered.It does not seem possible to post an image direct from my computer, only as an url. Otherwise I would show a 1950s map where no 59 was still extant close to the west end of the street on the north side

  7. #17
    Knowledgeable and helpful
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikejee View Post
    It does not seem possible to post an image direct from my computer, only as an url. Otherwise I would show a 1950s map where no 59 was still extant close to the west end of the street on the north side
    You may find this useful: https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...os-on-Brit-Gen

  8. #18
    Valued member of Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    reading
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Thank you squaredancer. I did once occasionally use another similar site, but they later stopped access to the images if you did not pay a fee.
    Here is the 1950s map showing no 59 in red[IMG]screenshot utility[/IMG]

  9. #19
    Valued member of Brit-Gen
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    reading
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Following on from that, not no 59, but a few yards away and possibly looking similar,are 54,55 and part of 56 Hatchett St

    [IMG][/IMG]

  10. #20
    Starting to feel at home biggirlsblouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikejee View Post
    Following on from that, not no 59, but a few yards away and possibly looking similar,are 54,55 and part of 56 Hatchett St

    [IMG][/IMG]
    That is so cool, thank you!

    Based on the movement of street numbers, is it plausible that the Fountain Inn that was at 195 New John St West in the 1850s/1860s is in a similar area? Or is it likely to have been way further down the street?

    Jodi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Select a file: