Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WW1 Special list and general list

My relative was on the Special list and General list for the whole of WW1, and had no service number. I know that he was Mentioned in Dispatches twice for his service in Salonika at the end of the war, but otherwise it's all a bit of a mystery. He also had an OBE, but I don't know if it was for his military service or not. I haven't managed to find his OBE in the London Gazette yet.In civilian life he was a solicitor.
    Can anyone help? I would be most grateful.
    Jenhen

Reputation beyond repute

If you want help you'll have to tell us his name and how you found out about the OBE and the MiD.

Many apologies for the lack of information.
    His name was James Stanley Pool Godsell, or JSP Godsell (1881-1939).
    I have found 6 records in Forces War Records and 4 medal roll documents on Ancestry Military. Also 2 entries in the Gazette referring to MIDs one in the Gazette dated 7/6/1918 page 6927 and one in the Gazette dated 3/6/1919 page 7216. (I have a list of all the information I have on his war record. If it would help please let me know how to send it to you.)
    As Assistant Secretary in the Ministry of Transport after the war, he often had letters in the Gazette, which he signed JS Pool Godsell OBE, MBE.
    I would appreciate knowing more of what the General List and Special List mean and ideally find out more of what he was actually doing in the war. Also if possible to find out what he got the OBE for. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    Jenny

Reputation beyond repute

I can see his MBE. 1919 Birthday Honours - "For valuable services rendered in connection with military operations in the Balkans"

Reputation beyond repute

he often had letters in the Gazette, which he signed JS Pool Godsell OBE, MBE.
    Incidentally, does anyone know for sure whether it is correct to describe oneself as John Smith OBE MBE.

Obviously someone could be awarded both an MBE and an OBE. But wouldn't the OBE supersede the MBE and John Smith should therefore call himself John Smith OBE?

I agree it's odd. I have found an example of this in the report on the 6th International Congress on Road Transport held in 1930 in Washington which he attended.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=...%20%2C%20LL%20.

The Gazette, 20 Oct 1939, has " ... James Stanley Pool Godsell, 22 Carlton Avenue, Kenton, Middlesex, Solicitor O.B.E (Civil Division), M.B.E (Military Division), deceased ..."
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

His photo is in the Daily Mirror, 27 Oct 1926.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Many thanks to you both for that fantastic information. I will continue to try and work out what the special list is.

And please let the rest of us know what you find about it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast