Thread: Step by step

Starting to feel at home

Default Step by step

Sometimes big jumps, mostly small ones. The surnames I have been researching(Poer,le Poer, dela Poore, Poor, Power, had got me to the 1200’s in England with Roger of Salisbury being the central figure. “I got a pdf of a book his nephew wrote in Latin” but I was stuck with nothing but a small reference to Alan, a duke in Britany. Well it turns out he was also called Alan of Poher, and was a foster child of King Aethelstan, so this is back to year 960. King Aethelstan was buried at Malmesbury Abby, which Roger of Salibury (Richard Poore) was over and built a castle there. Seems I might be on to something. I grabbing at anything now, just to find anything of relevance. Rogers father is said to be Richard of Ilchester, and was Bishop of Poiters, which places him in Britany at times. I may not be at brick wall but it sure seems like deep water. Aethelstan is said to of married off his sisters to nobles through out Europe.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Greetings Denis Poore. That's great family research you have done to get you so far back in time! Well done indeed! I've always thought myself it would be nice to be related to King Aethelstan or a descendant, but unfortunately I can only find a Nutt in my family Tree (Hoping that it may be a derivation of Cnut ! haha. You've obviously been doing a lot of detailed research to get your results which is quite amazing. Great work!

Starting to feel at home

I’ll prepare you now. Don’t be a bit surprised if my next post will include the words “sainthood and emperor”. I am not kidding.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

It would be interesting to know a little more about your saints and emperor that you mention above and how you have managed to find out about them! Are they also connected to your "Poore" side of the family ?

Starting to feel at home

To start with, I have wondered how there was 5 known bishops from the Puer/Poore family, that came together at one period of time in England, that had influences in Normandy and Brittany. A father, 3 sons(1 not a bishop), and at least 3 nephews. I had read some that have researched them and Alan II is said to maybe had a connection with Roger of Salisbury, but I never found any content to the story. So I said what if there was a connection that I haven’t found yet. Going back to the Kings of Brittany that came before Alan II, I came across Charles the Bald, King of Brittany, he received sainthood for just being king although he became Emperor of Rome, and he was a grandchild of the king of the Franks also. It was a what if study. Aethelstan had married off his sisters to other nobles in Europe and many shared in the conflict with the Danes. The father of the Poore’s is said to be Richard of ILchester, and he was over the church interests in Brittany/Normandy. Roger of Salisbury was know as Father to the church of Avranches and Henry discovered him outside Caen. This is all in my search to know who were the Poore family of bishops and how did they have such influences. Aethelstan was the foster father of Alan II and he was buried at Malmesbury Abby which was under Roger of Salisbury at a later date. I should add, Alan II was called the Duke of Poher, a region in the middle of Brittany.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi again, You have obviously been working hard in your research Denis to discover so much heraldic history in your family names. It's amazing stuff! I'm impressed! Is there anything else that you would like to find out more about in regard to this side of your family or have you gone as far back as you can with your connections? I mean what's next step for you to discover more?

Starting to feel at home

Not part of my ancestry but Strongbow and a group of le Puer’s were part of the Norman invasion of Ireland. I wouldn’t mind knowing where they originated at. That really is about it.