Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Ancestry - pages 'greyed out'

Is anyone else having problems accessing Ancestry (dot co dot uk)?

When I try to click on a record set the pages are greyed out, and I can't type in any details.
    I can access the card catalog page OK, but the minute I click on a dataset, I can go no further.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Loves to help with queries

Just had a look and all ok at my end...

I forgot to say that I was using Firefox.
    Just tried accessing Ancestry using Chrome and it seems OK.

Which browser are you using, davyr?

Have you tried re-logging in? Mad as it seems, it sounds like their “look but can’t touch” response to non members. I’ve had trouble with a couple of scrambled membership cookies recently…

Loves to help with queries

Safari, Pam - But I sometimes find things don't work on that, but do on Chrome or Brave and I have to alternate between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Have you tried re-logging in? Mad as it seems, it sounds like their “look but can’t touch” response to non members. I’ve had trouble with a couple of scrambled membership cookies recently…
    Just tried logging-in again on Firefox, but that didn't work.
    My sub doesn't expire for another month.
    Will try to have a word with my 'techie-expert' tomorrow. If not, I'll phone Ancestry and tell them I'm not a 'appy bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by davyr View Post
    Safari, Pam - But I sometimes find things don't work on that, but do on Chrome or Brave and I have to alternate between them.
    I can understand things not working at all on some browsers, but not how they suddenly stop working. Never had any problems with Ancestry on Firefox in the previous umpteen years.

At least I can access the site now, even if I have to faff around with Chrome.

Thank you both for your assistance.

Famous for offering help & advice

I've just tried with Firefox (latest version 101.0.1, Windows 10), and didn't have any problems. The record sets I tried were West Yorkshire baptisms 1813 onwards (accessed from the West Yorkshire records page) and PCC wills (via the Card Catalogue). Would you like any of us to have a go with the records you were trying?

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I've just tried with Firefox (latest version 101.0.1, Windows 10), and didn't have any problems. The record sets I tried were West Yorkshire baptisms 1813 onwards (accessed from the West Yorkshire records page) and PCC wills (via the Card Catalogue). Would you like any of us to have a go with the records you were trying?
    Good thinking, Arthur.
    I only really tried two - London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1936, and Public Member Trees.

Is Windows 10 the latest, or is there a Windows 11? If so, I must have 11, as my laptop is fairly new.

I've just tried the baptisms DB with my PC,(anc uk, Win 11,Chrome) and it's behaving normally.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Good thinking, Arthur.
    I only really tried two - London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1936, and Public Member Trees.
    Those two are working fine for me.

Is Windows 10 the latest, or is there a Windows 11? If so, I must have 11, as my laptop is fairly new.
    Yes, there is Windows 11, though I read somewhere that take-up hasn't been overwhelming, and that made me wonder if some new computers were still being shipped with Windows 10. But I rather doubt whether that would be what's causing the problem - and presumably it was working fine for you until the last day or two anyway.

One thing you could try, if you can cope with losing Ancestry cookies, the history of which pages you've viewed at Ancestry, and any of their images etc in your browser cache, is go to your Firefox History, find an Ancestry entry and right-click it, then "Forget about this site". Doing this will mean you need to log in again, but it should give you a clean slate. This sometimes works for me when sites misbehave, and it's less drastic than deleting all cookies or cached content.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast