Thread: Finding a Will

Default Finding a Will

A couple of years ago a cousin of mine died and I obtained a copy of the will. I got it on line, just put in the name and date of death and a list was produced of deaths on that date. I paid £1.50 and got a PDF of the will. However, I cannot remember what site I used! I have searched "Find a Will" but can't find the site I originally used. Anyone any ideas?

Could it be this one, which is not the original site I had bookmarked but is now defunct.
    https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I think the updated version of the original site you used is this
    https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/
    but you have to know the year of death.

Underwhelming updating of a site, IMO. Presume that's what happens when you have too many people working from home, and fiddling around for the sake of it.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

No, there’s a law that says that when any site is upgraded, it’s never as good again!

Starting to feel at home

I had only a minimal info to enter, but I had already seen at Ancestry one that I thought would be a test, using that link given above.
    It was Albert THOMAS who died May 1946 in Wales, probate granted 20 May 1948.
    The result returned was for a page of surname ABBOTT - so I give it a FAIL.
    (I have highlighted the data that I entered)

I had a problem with a person who died in December one year but probate was the following year. Nothing came up on the site. I referred to the list but that was for the year of death not the year of probate. I am going to try again but this time omit the death date and just fill in the probate date bit. See if I get anything.