Famous for offering help & advice

Default 1939 Occupation thoughts please

Could anyone with a findmypast subscription have a look at the entry for Romauld OBRIEN born 07 Feb 1921, living at 12 Lewisham High Road, New Cross, Deptford Registration District, London.
    FMP has his occupation transcribed as 'Labourer in Ta Factory'. The T looks nothing like the other Ts on the page. The enumerators handwriting is a little 'strange' in places - the F in Factory looks nothing like a standard F but is confirmed by the surname Fox on the page. There are also a number of J on the page which it also doesn't look like, at or I might have said it was a 'Labourer in Jar Factory'. Thoughts anyone thanks Mitch.

I can't look at the image to help I'm afraid - but there was a Robertson's Jam factory in the area.

I've had a look at the relevant page, and a quick skim through the one before and the one after, and I'm not at all sure about it being a 'J' as there are several examples of John and Jan[uary] where the 'J' is very different. However, I didn't see any other letters like this one, so can't offer any alternatives.

The writing is mostly consistent, though there are a few capitals that appear in different forms - for example 'T', which is mostly in an upright printed style but occasionally cursive and rounded. Every other 'J' that I spotted was cursive, so should we expect any alternative forms of that to be upright/printed style too?

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    I can't look at the image to help I'm afraid - but there was a Robertson's Jam factory in the area.
    Thanks for that Grisel - interesting as of course Jam comes in Jars!

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I've had a look at the relevant page, and a quick skim through the one before and the one after, and I'm not at all sure about it being a 'J' as there are several examples of John and Jan[uary] where the 'J' is very different. However, I didn't see any other letters like this one, so can't offer any alternatives.

The writing is mostly consistent, though there are a few capitals that appear in different forms - for example 'T', which is mostly in an upright printed style but occasionally cursive and rounded. Every other 'J' that I spotted was cursive, so should we expect any alternative forms of that to be upright/printed style too?
    Thanks Arthur - yes like you I couldn't find a match for it. At the moment I'm going with Jar, as in Labourer in Jar Factory, though equally it could be Tar but I don't associate that occupation with a factory. Or it could be something else entirely!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Could it be Toy Factory?

There were a number of toy manufacturers in London at that time, some of which went on to produce arms and armaments during WW2.

Peter

The last letter of the word has a lower loop so I think. like Peter. that it is toy factory.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you both. I had thought the loop might have been from the redacted line below so had ignored it. Once you make the last letter a Y it is unlikely to be a Jay or Joy factory ( ), but Toy factory it is. Thank you again!