Loves to help with queries

Default Just a very quick question...

My Great Grandmother, Alice Taylor was born 14 Feb 1896 in Calverton, Buckinghamshire.

She married my Great Grandfather, John Cowan, who was Scottish.

I want to order her birth certificate and their marriage but I don't know what info to use.
    Due to the fact that on ancestry and FMP, I have found two Marriages for Alice Taylor marrying John Cowan.

April 1923 in Potterspury and 18 May 1923 in Market Harborough, Leicestershire.

I know that John Cowan worked at Horninghold Hall in Leicestershire and the marriage transcription does say that Alice was resident in Calverton, however it mistakes the 'a' in Calverton for an 'o'. But I also know that Potterspury is the registration district for Calverton.

One doc is a civil registration and the one in Market Harborough is marriage Banns.

My very quick question:

Is it safe to assume that because Alice married away from home in Market Harborough, that they merely needed it registered in Potterspury, it being Calverton's district, that she had married and that both docs belong to the same couple?

If so, the info on the registration doc would give me the correct info to use for ordering, wouldn't it?

Thank you

Famous for offering help & advice

Firstly only order certs from the GRO not any other sites.The form will ask for year,names,district,volume number & page number.

Marraige reg

Alice Taylor
    Marriage quarter 2
    Marriage year 1923
    John Cowan
    Potterspury
    Northamptonshire
    England
    Volume 3B
    Page number 37

Birth cert can be ordered from the GRO as a PDF.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbertlouise View Post
    My Great Grandmother, Alice Taylor was born 14 Feb 1896 in Calverton, Buckinghamshire.

She married my Great Grandfather, John Cowan, who was Scottish.

I want to order her birth certificate and their marriage but I don't know what info to use.
    Due to the fact that on ancestry and FMP, I have found two Marriages for Alice Taylor marrying John Cowan.
    You've found two references to the same marriage.

April 1923 in Potterspury
    This is the record found on Ancestry, and refers to the (alleged) quarter in which it took place and the registration district.
    Unfortunately Ancestry don't understand that we use the last month of the quarter as the reference, so they index the quarters as January, April, July, and October, when the correct months are March, June, September, and December. Which is why I always use either FreeBMD or FMP.
    Using FreeBMD gives you the extra bonus of being able to click on a link which will show you the places in the registration district.

and 18 May 1923 in Market Harborough, Leicestershire.
    Think you've made a typo, and you mean 18 March 1923.
    This is the date of the first calling of the banns in parish in which John was living at the time.
    If you marry in church, banns have to be called on three consecutive Sundays prior to the marriage in the parish(es) of the bride and groom, so a similar banns record will exist for the parish in which Alice was living and in which the marriage took place. (Highly likely to be Calverton.)
    I know that John Cowan worked at Horninghold Hall in Leicestershire and the marriage transcription does say that Alice was resident in Calverton, however it mistakes the 'a' in Calverton for an 'o'. But I also know that Potterspury is the registration district for Calverton.

One doc is a civil registration and the one in Market Harborough is marriage Banns.

My very quick question:

Is it safe to assume that because Alice married away from home in Market Harborough, that they merely needed it registered in Potterspury, it being Calverton's district, that she had married and that both docs belong to the same couple?
    You've got your knickers on back to front.
    Alice didn't marry away from home in Market Harborough.
    The registration district is where the marriage took place., so it's highly likely they married in Calverton.
    Other places in Potterspury district
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/potterspury.html

But, yes, both documents refer to the same marriage.

If so, the info on the registration doc would give me the correct info to use for ordering, wouldn't it?

Thank you
    Yes, you need the details from the registration document to order the certificate. I dimly remember that the GRO might just use numbers for the quarters, in which case you will want 2 for marriages April to June.

As t'other Pamela says, always order from the GRO.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

If you're confident about Alice's birthdate, then to order her birth certificate all you need do is enter the year and registration district of Potterspury and you'll find the volume and page numbers will automatically be entered for you when you click your preference of either a pdf copy or full-blown certificate.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator

There is a birth registration on FREEBMD for Alice Taylor, born 1896 (registered Mar 1896) in Pottersbury.

Let us know if you have trouble finding it.

Loves to help with queries

Thank you for your help. Giving me the info to put on the order. I appreciate it.
    When I make the orders, I do so from the GRO website, but wasn't sure what to put.
    and thank you for confirming that the two records are for the same couple.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2F00023860%2F2

I found the marriage banns in Market Harborough, it was on FMP website.
    The transcription is from the Leicestershire banns:
    https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcr...NNS/00023860/2

and yes, thank you I have noted that the transcription gives the date of 18 March not May.