Thread: Confused

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Confused

I have come to a dead end in regards to a birth certificate, I have the birth index and the name I was looking for is written by hand and volume is see G25 or see J25 depending on which website I look at and I do not see G25/J25 means.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Don1964,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

For us to help you, you need to start at the beginning rather than the end.
    So, do I presume that you want to order a birth certificate?
    Is it for a birth in England and Wales, or another country?
    What's the name and year? Quarter? (And if it's John Smith - the registration district as well!)
    Which website says G25 and which website says J25?
    The only index I know of which is hand-written is the early pages of the General Register Office (GRO) Index for England and Wales, and you access those pages via links on either FreeBMD, Findmypast (FMP), or Ancestry. The information written on the GRO pages should be the same, whichever website you use. . Transcripts may vary. One website might interpret a name as Mary, while another one thinks it says Harry.
    There can be differences in the GRO Index because later on the original hand-written registers were then typed, and one website might be using the typed one as opposed to the hand-written one.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam

Thank you for your reply, I do want to order a birth certificate
    the birth took place in Birmingham England of Harold B Mitchell, it seems it was a late entry to the index i have two entries for Harold one in 1920 and the other in 1925 both with the same mothers maiden name and both registered in Birmingham
    Ancestry website says see G25 (someone seems have read volume number) FreeBMD is saying see J25
    the index i have is typed apart from Harold B Mitchell which is hand written

Don

Brick wall demolition expert!

The 1920 entry appears at the bottom of a page of birth registered in Oct, Nov, Dec 1920 and appears twice in handwriting at the bottom of the page. Both entries appear to be the same but the top one has been crossed out. The entry reads:

Harold B Brooks Birmingham 6D. See J’25
    This entry does not appear on the GRO’s own search site.

The 1925 entry does appear on the GRO site as:
    MITCHELL, HAROLD BROOKS
    GRO Reference: 1925 J Quarter in BIRMINGHAM NORTH Volume 06D Page 674

Because the 1920 birth does not appear on the GRO search page, I think that you would have to talk to the GRO directly to ensure that you did not have a frustrating time. You can email them at [email protected] which has been set up for people to ask questions before they place orders.

The on line ordering service, and which also has birth and death registers for the GRO is:
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

Settling in

I can't really help solve the problem, but I can clarify where the confusion is coming from.

FreeBMD
    Harold B Mitchell mmn Brooks Dec 1920 Birmingham 6d see J/25 (handwritten on original index)
    Harold B Mitchell mmn Brooks Jun 1925 Birmingham N. 6d 674 (but original index says Brooks, not Mitchell)

Harold Brooks mmn Brooks Dec 1920 Birmingham 6d 447
    Harold B Brooks mmn Brooks Dec 1920 Birmingham 6d *

GRO
    Harold Brooks Dec 1920 Birmingham 6d 447
    Harold Brooks Mitchell Jun 1925 Birmingham N 6d 674

I can see why Don is confused.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you all for your replies and input,
    It is starting to look like Harold was born out of wedlock.

Born in 1920 his parents (my grand parents) were married in 1925
    He was killes by a lorry in 1936 aged 15 (I have a newspaper article confirming this)

If he was born in 1925 his death would have been around 1940, I have searched on GRO,FreeBMD and Ancestry
    and all seaches came up blank.

Knowledgeable and helpful

It looks as though he was born and the birth registered as Brooks in 1920 and then his birth was re-registered under Mitchell when his parents married. Normally the original registration is removed from the Index and the new registration has "Occasional Copy A" next to it, which indicates that a change has been made to the original entry.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    The 1920 entry appears at the bottom of a page of birth registered in Oct, Nov, Dec 1920 and appears twice in handwriting at the bottom of the page. Both entries appear to be the same but the top one has been crossed out. The entry reads:

Harold B Brooks Birmingham 6D. See J’25
    This entry does not appear on the GRO’s own search site.

The 1925 entry does appear on the GRO site as:
    MITCHELL, HAROLD BROOKS
    GRO Reference: 1925 J Quarter in BIRMINGHAM NORTH Volume 06D Page 674

Because the 1920 birth does not appear on the GRO search page, I think that you would have to talk to the GRO directly to ensure that you did not have a frustrating time. You can email them at [email protected] which has been set up for people to ask questions before they place orders.

The on line ordering service, and which also has birth and death registers for the GRO is:
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    Thanks for reminding me that there are handwritten amendments at the bottom of the later, type-written, pages, Megan. Though you did have the advantage of being able to look at the actual entry.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    It looks as though he was born and the birth registered as Brooks in 1920 and then his birth was re-registered under Mitchell when his parents married. Normally the original registration is removed from the Index and the new registration has "Occasional Copy A" next to it, which indicates that a change has been made to the original entry.
    Where a birth is re-registered, the original entry is not removed from the index (or the register) and a copy can be ordered from that if you wish.

"Occasional Copy", means a further copy of an entry has been submitted to GRO outside of the normal quarterly returns process and would usually refer to a correction, which is something entirely different to a re-registration.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks for putting me right on that one.