Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default canadian records

can anyone help with tracing a few members of a family in any canadian records

Welcome to Brit-Gen cynthia.
    If you can give us some names and dates of the people you are looking for I know our sleuths will give it their best shot.
    Christina

ps I have moved your post to the Canada Genealogy Forum
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello There
    I am looking for various family members
    No 1
    Marion Grimes nee Blair /Hunt /Woodward age 47 occupation Typist left Liverpool on the 6th May 1952 bound for Montreal, on the ship Empress Of France, address given as 27 Tregothnan Road Stockwell London SW, this address is the home of her parents. With her was one of her daughters and a grandson.

Another daughter Barbara and her husband Leslie Richards, left Liverpool in 1951 on the ship Franconia bound for Halifax Nova Scotia.

Thmomas David Grimes /Dee who married Marion On the 17th Feb 1949 Lambeth Surrey England, he also went to
    Canada , i don't know when

Any of them could have used the surnames Blair/Hunt/Woodward/ Dee/Grimes
    Thank you
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 02-06-2022 at 3:52 AM. Reason: Names and details of potentially living people deleted/amended in accordance with our T&Cs.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi cynthia,

Most of your query relates to possible living people and is therefore in breach of our T&Cs.
    I have therefore removed it from public view while I confer with my fellow Mods as to the best way forward.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Pam
    Thank you for your message, i am sorry i didn't realise it may apply to living people.

Is it possible to look for Marion Grimes born in 1904, Thomas Grimes
    /Dee born 1907 & Marions two daughters who had the surname Grimes.
    I quite understand if this is not possible and appreciate all you help and assistance.

Kind regards
    Cynthia
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 02-06-2022 at 4:58 AM. Reason: Names of potentially living people removed.

Hi Cynthia,

Finally got things sort-of sorted. It's a very fine line between allowing information which is in the public domain and breaking privacy laws regarding living people, so we do tend to err on the side of caution.

Ellen Marion Blair, born in 1904, and later known as Marion Ellen, certainly had a colourful life. To help our sleuths, they need to know the background to all the names you said the family could have used.

Marion married Lambert Yendley Hunt in September quarter 1921, Lambeth registration district. Told the vicar a big porky and said she was 21. Marriage is on Ancestry's London marriages.

She then, as Marion H B Hunt (according FreeBMD) married Reginald G Woodward, June quarter 1924, Liverpool registration district.
    That resulted in her making the papers, charged with bigamy.
    North Wales Weekly News 25 December 1924
    Also reported in Liverpool Echo 22 December 1924

Follow-up North Wales Weekly News 12 February 1925.
    (Newspaper reports available for free via Findmypast until 6 June 2022.)

Her divorce from Lambert meant that she was then free to legally marry Reginald, which she did in December quarter 1925 Lambeth registration district. Both of her surnames (Blair and Hunt) appear in the GRO Index, while the Registrar seems to have hedged his bets regarding whether Reginald's middle name was that or part of a hyphenated surname, recording him as both Woodward and Grieve-Woodward.

Reginald was then cast aside for an unknown Mr Grimes, by whom Marion had two daughters. One with her maiden name recorded as Blair; the second with it recorded as Blour.

In the 1939 Register Marion is listed as Marion E Grimes, date of birth 21 September 1904. Then there's one redacted entry - presumably one of her daughters. Followed by Thomas D. DEE, date of birth 17 September 1906.
    The surname Dee has been crossed out and replaced by Grimes.
    They're living in Hale Road, Widnes, so Thomas might be the Thomas David Dee, birth registered December quarter 1907 West Derby (Liverpool) registration district.

Marion and Thomas finally married March quarter 1949, Lambeth registration district. I pity the Registrar who had to try and squeeze all of the names onto the marriage certificate. FreeBMD has four surnames for Marion and two for Thomas.

Passenger lists in Canada aren't going to be helpful. See 'after 1935'.
    https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...roduction.aspx

Pam

Just found -
    T D Grimes left Southampton on 11 March 1952 on board the Atlantic Express, bound for Halifax, Nova Scotia. Age 44, so birth year given as 1908, but it's definitely 'your' Thomas as his UK address is Tregothnan Road.

Another find, though how reliable it is hard to evaluate as they have the wrong spouse, though she could have remarried once in Canada. (To Herbert Daziel.)
    A family tree on Ancestry which includes Lambert Hunt has Barbara Marion Grimes dying in Canada 31 December 1965.
    Parents Ellen Marion Blair and Frederick Charles Francis Grimes.

Wow Pam what a great job you have done sorting and collating all of this information. Thank you.
    Whether I can do anything with it remains to be seen,
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

if its not already known

Reginald Grieve-Woodward and Ellen Marion (Blair) had a son born 1926 (surname Grieve-Woodward)

edit - also registered with surname Woodward (in Free BMD)

edit - looks like that son died in 1929. Paul Francis Woodward aged 2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast