Super Moderator

Default St. James Street, Bath

The family I am researching (the Gummers) lived at St James Hotel or St James Wine Vaults in Bath in the late 1800's.

I am trying to find some history of the Wine Vaults which is still operating but is now a music venue and pub.

Anyone any ideas where I can look? I have searched the internet but all I seem to be able to find is what the place is like now.

There seems to be a remarkable number of historical groups for Bath... I assume that you've had a look at them? One site has historical directories HERE, and "St James Wine Vaults" returns 6 hits, all early 1900s. In 1900, it was Frank Rawlings, changed in 1911. I didn't try possible 19th century variations.

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

From Bath Post Office Directories
    1852 John Brett St James Hotel
    1872 F S Gummer St James Hotel also Wine Merchant
    1895 James Philips Wine Merchant
    1912 Alfred Rough St James Wine Vaults

Hope this helps
    rj

Super Moderator

Thanks to both of you. It is Frederick Satchell Gummer I was interested in. When he died His wife took over the Wine Vaults but then moved to London with her son. It has been a fascinating family and I have gathered lots of information.

Re "history" the earliest I spotted was
    Bath Chronicle & Weekly Gazette, 30 Jun 1791
    BATH
    John Halpen ( late servant of the Right Hon. Lady M Stanley) begs leave to inform his friends and the publick, he has OPENED
    A commodious INN and TAVERN
    Known by the Name of ST JAMES' HOTEL
    Back front of the OLD CRESCENT
    -> Dinner and suppers on the shortest notice - Horses taken at livery, with good Coach-houses &c.

I'd have a look at the newspapers - eg. I think Elizabeth sought election to the Town Council
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

From the Listing details.
    First Listed 1950 Public House c1790-1793 Architect John Palmer
    History. Part of St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder King Hewlett and Broome from Sir Peter Rivers Gray 25th March 1790. St James's Street forms one of four diagonal approaches to St James's Square, which together exemplify application of Picturesque principles to town planning.

Famous for offering help & advice

John Brett is in St James Street in both 1851 and 1861 census. He died in 1865.
    Bath Historical Directories have both John Brett and Frederick Gummer listed for 1866/67 so I would guess Frederick took over the business after John's death.
    The Bath Historical Directories have John Brett at a different address in 1846 but there is a William Brett at St James Hotel at that date.
    https:
    //bathhistoricaldirectories.org.uk/