Starting to feel at home

Default hyde scott marriage

i am trying to find a marriage certificate for Charles Hyde and Jane Scott. On all the certificates and census returns i haveshe s shown as his wife but i cant find their marriage.
    Jane was from Culler coats in Northumberland which is where Charles was lodging in 1871. There daughter Mary Jane was baptised in wHITLEY bAY in 1873 whilst Elizabeth Ann was born in Monkseaton in 1874...

GRO index birth reg
    HYDE, MARY JANE mother's maiden name SCOTT
    GRO Reference: 1872 September 1/4 registration district TYNEMOUTH Vol 10B Page 194

There is a birth the same year for a Mary Jane same mmn but in Driffield Yorkshire. When searching for Elizabeth Ann's birth reg is on FreeBMD but there is only one 1875 +/- 2 years on the GRO index and that is in Driffield. Why the GRO isn't showing it??
    It seems there is also another couple husband Hyde mmn Scott. There is a marriage of a James Hyde to an Ann Scott in Driffield reg dist 1872.
    I can find no sign of a marriage for Charles and Jane, anywhere anytime, as yet.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

When searching for Elizabeth Ann's birth reg is on FreeBMD but there is only one 1875 +/- 2 years on the GRO index and that is in Driffield. Why the GRO isn't showing it??
    Hi Christina, weirdly, if you search the GRO under MALE, not female, the record comes up.

HYDE, ELIZABETH ANN SCOTT
    GRO Reference: 1874 D Quarter in TYNEMOUTH Volume 10B Page 187
    Alma

In 1891 Charles, Jane and their children are together, in 1901 Charles is with children and he's described as a widower.

Searching for possible deaths for Jane, I found only two between 1891 - 1901.

Mar 1901 Hyde Jane, age 48 Tynemouth 10b 139

Mar 1895 Scott Jane age 45 Tynemouth 10b 190
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

It is the 1901 death certificate...just cant find their marriage that eludes me

I still can't find a marriage for Charles to Jane. I did wonder if maybe Charles had a previous marriage as he was 10/11 years older than Jane so searched 1855 - 1872 in Lincolnshire and Northumberland but no marriage for a Charles Hyde to anybody. Plenty of them in other counties but too many to follow through.
    Again I did widen the search for a marriage to Jane anywhere any time but no result. It does look as if they never married but as to the reason why is a mystery for now.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

Could it be worth casting the net further afield? One of my lot, from Cornwall, was married in Peru!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Could Jane be the one who was married to someone else? If she was a widow she would have married under her married name.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Could Jane be the one who was married to someone else? If she was a widow she would have married under her married name.
    unfortunately Megan Jane did not marry prior to the marriage to Charles...i havee census returns

The last census return showing Jane as a single woman is 1871 where she is living with her parents. She could have married anytime after the time of the census return which was taken on the night of the second of April 1871 and her meeting up with Charles Hyde sometime before the birth of her first daughter in 1873.
    There are 6 marriages of a Jane Scott in various Northumberland registration districts between June 1/4 1871 and December 1/4 1872 but the theory that Jane married under another surname goes out the window because there is no marriage of a Charles Hyde in that time frame in Northumberland. If it was Charles who was married previously there are 6 in other parts of the country with only the first name Charles, no middle name.
    Still a mystery.
    Christina
    William Burroughs