Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello and request for any info may help.

Hello
    My name is David and I live in Adelaide, South Australia. Joined this forum in the hop of finding some info on my 4 times great grandfather, Private John Brown of the 40th of for regiment, 3rd company. I believe his number was 3676, although there is another John brown with the number 2120. He also went by the name John Joseph Brown and lived on North terrace, Adelaide, in the Adelaide Barracks. On December 18th 1861 he had a child with Catherine Christina Sinclair who went by the name of Catherine. It is the Sinclair name that carried on down through the family. The child’s name was Francis Henry Brown and he changed it to Sinclair when he married. John served in the New Zealand wars and I believe he and Christina didn’t marry. I Believe he may have returned to England or served elsewhere after Australia. I Have found a listing for him on War Records UK but have no other info. Any more information or suggestions to further my search would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    David Sinclair

Brick wall demolition expert!

The British Army Worldwide Index 1861 shows the following:

Regiment stationed at Taranakie New Zealand
    Name John Brown
    Service number 3676
    Rank Private
    Unit or Regiment 40th Foot (2nd Somersetshire)

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a christening record for Francis Henry Brown on Familysearch but doesn’t really give any info on the father other than his name.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    The British Army Worldwide Index 1861 shows the following:

Regiment stationed at Taranakie New Zealand
    Name John Brown
    Service number 3676
    Rank Private
    Unit or Regiment 40th Foot (2nd Somersetshire)
    Thanks for that Megan

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.
    The 40th left New Zealand in 1866 - part of the regiment sailing early May aboard the "Mary Shepherd", the remainder sailing late June aboard the "Holmdale".
    It isn't possible to check if "your" John was still with the regiment in 1871 by checking the Census. The 40th were at Curragh, Ireland and the 1871 Irish Census was destroyed in 1922. They were also at Bengal - no records there.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

In the record set “UK, Army Regimental Rolls of Non-commissioned Officers and Soldiers, 1806-1892” there is a John Brown, No. 3676. in the 40th Regiment.

Attested 12 Feb 1855 at Glasgow, aged 19. Height 5ft 7ins. He was a labourer & was born in Liverpool, Lancashire

Settling in

On Ancestry there are 2 birth index entries, both on the same page. One is for Francis Henry Brown, the other for Francis Henry Sinclair. Both give the name of the parents as John Joseph Brown and Christina Sinclair. Also note the DOB is given as 19th December, not the 18th as stated in the original post.

Settling in

There was a Catherine Christina Sinclair born in Caithness, Scotland on 26 may 1842, baptised 23 Sep 1842 in Wick, Caithness. She was the daughter of Kennedy Sinclair and Elecha McKay. A Catherine Sinclair (aged 25??) from Caithness arrived in Australia on the Hannah Moore on 6 May 1860 (a housemaid). A Catherine Christina Sinclair, daughter of Kennedy Sinclair, married John Quintrell (son of John Quintrell) on 24 Nov 1864 in Burra, South Australia, which is about 140 km from Adelaide.