Settling in

Default BRICKWALL RE ELIZ. COPELAND, BIRKENHEAD 1935

Good Morning to Everyone

I really am hoping that you could kindly help me please, as I am trying to locate some Family History information for a very dear elderly gentleman who is searching for an ELIZABETH COPELAND, who lived in 1935 at 339 CLEVELAND STREET, BIRKENHEAD, CHESHIRE, ENGLAND. Elizabeth Copeland's birth year maybe 1917-1920.

Unfortunately, I am hitting the proverbial Brick-wall and have not been able to find any records pertaining to her. Elizabeth gave birth to the gentleman above in 1935 and sadly, he was given up for adoption at aged 4 months old in The City of Liverpool, Jan 1936.
    I have a copy of the gentleman's Birth Certificate hence, name and address of his Birth Mother, Elizabeth, dated: September 1935.

If anyone could help me regarding finding out any information pertaining to Elizabeth's parents' and/or siblings' names and perhaps, where the Family lived pre 1935, this would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much indeed for your time and help.

Sincerely,
    SuzieQ

Famous for offering help & advice

Checked on the address on electoral roll during the mid to late 1930s and it is listed as:

159 (Abode, 339 Cleveland Street, Birkenhead) Walton Lane 4

At the address are Ethel Ada Bowers and William Bowers.

In 1938 - 1939 the Bowers are listed in 169 Walton Lane,there is also an Elizabeth Copeland at the address with the Bowers and also George & Emily Powers.

Elizabeth Copeland is with them on 1939 register but her DOB is 27/06/1906,at some point her surname becomes Moon,possibly through marraige.

Could be a coincidence of course.

Birth registration for the Elizabeth Copeland birth date 27 June 1906>
    Births September 1/4 1906
    Copeland Elizabeth registration district Liverpool vol 8b page 53

Marriage?
    September 1/4 1943
    Elizabeth Copeland, John Moon registration district Liverpool N. vol 8b page 591

Death?
    Deaths March 1/4 1978
    Elizabeth MOON birth date 26 July 1906 registration district LIVERPOOL vol 36 page 1143

There is only one birth I can find and it is for a female Moon mmn Copeland Dec 1/4 1945 reg dist Liverpool N vol 8b page 621. There was also another birth of a female Moon with the same first name in Liverpool N. in 1947 but the mmn was Brennan.
    There are two possible marriages for this person in Liverpool N reg dist. One in 196 and the other in 1968. There are others with the same name but not in Liverpool N.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I am just following through with the interesting information that Pamelawagster found.

Elizabeth Copeland
    Birth Date - 26 Jul 1906
    Baptised 12 August 1906
    Baptised at Liverpool, St Martin in the Fields.
    Father - James Copeland occupation Carter
    Mother - Mary Ann Copeland
    Address - 14 St Martins Cottages.

1911 census piece 22449
    Kirkdale.
    165 A Walton Lane Liverpool
    Piece: 22449
    James Copeland 40 General carrier born Monaghan County Monaghan Ireland.
    Mary Copeland 39 Chester Cheshire.
    James Copeland 11 Liverpool
    Mary Copeland 8 Liverpool
    Elizebeth Copeland 4 Liverpool

Mary Ann, the mother, was born Chester so could that be a link to Elizabeth being in Cheshire for the birth of her baby?

ON the GRO index birth reg Sept 1/4 Liverpool Elizabeth Copeland mother's maiden name Pownall vol 8b page 53.

Marriages March 1/4 1899
    James Copeland and Mary Ann Pownall Liverpool vol 8b page 131

Mary Ann Pownall age 26
    Marriage Date: 12 Feb 1899
    Marriage Place: Liverpool, St Nicholas, Lancashire,
    Parish as it Appears: Liverpool
    Father Charles Pownall
    Spouse James Copeland age 28 father John Copeland

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Checked on the address on electoral roll during the mid to late 1930s and it is listed as:

159 (Abode, 339 Cleveland Street, Birkenhead) Walton Lane 4

At the address are Ethel Ada Bowers and William Bowers.

In 1938 - 1939 the Bowers are listed in 169 Walton Lane,there is also an Elizabeth Copeland at the address with the Bowers and also George & Emily Powers.

Elizabeth Copeland is with them on 1939 register but her DOB is 27/06/1906,at some point her surname becomes Moon,possibly through marraige.

Could be a coincidence of course.
    Good Morning Pamela

Firstly, so many thanks for very kindly taking the time to help me locate where an Elizabeth Copeland was registered in the Electoral Roll during the mid to late thirties.

Please could you kindly help me try to understand why it states on the Electoral Roll Register next to Ethel Ada Bowers and William Bowers 159 (Abode, 339 Cleveland Street, Birkenhead) Walton Lane 4?

I am originally from Liverpool and am aware that Walton Lane lies within the Kirkdale district of the City of Liverpool so, why would there be a reference to an abode of '339 Cleveland Street, Birkenhead, Cheshire' on a Liverpool Electoral Register?

Thank you once again for your help, very much appreciated indeed.

Kind regards, Suzie

Settling in

Morning Christina

I am genuinely overwhelmed with the help thus far that I have received from both yourself and Pamelawagster, in respect of the information shared for an Elizabeth Copeland et al.

I sincerely respect all the information that has been sourced and I shall now ardently try to collate this information in order to share with the birth son of Elizabeth Copeland, who is an amazing 86 years young!

Thank you most sincerely from both of us for all your kind endeavours, I don't think a mere 'Thank you!' can express our gratitude fully.

Kind regards, Suzie

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi,I’m not sure why the address was listed as it was. On the birth cert for the gentleman does it have an occupation for Elizabeth Copeland?

Looking at the 1939 register for 339 Cleveland Street the house looks as though it is possibly split into 3 residences.One is occupied by a family called Churchill.

Another by Elizabeth (Mary Elizabeth) King 14 Feb 1914 Cafe Waitress - Married.
    And the 3rd by Louisa G Chow (Crene) 02 Feb 1902 Unpaid Domestic Duties - Married

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Hi,I’m not sure why the address was listed as it was. On the birth cert for the gentleman does it have an occupation for Elizabeth Copeland?

Looking at the 1939 register for 339 Cleveland Street the house looks as though it is possibly split into 3 residences.One is occupied by a family called Churchill.

Another by Elizabeth (Mary Elizabeth) King 14 Feb 1914 Cafe Waitress - Married.
    And the 3rd by Louisa G Chow (Crene) 02 Feb 1902 Unpaid Domestic Duties - Married
    Hello Pamela

Thank you for your very prompt reply to my earlier query. I have rechecked the Birth Certificate which was Registered in Birkenhead, Cheshire, England (Jan 1936) and it sates that ELIZABETH COPELAND of No Occupation of 339 Cleveland Street. Residence of Informant: E Copeland, Mother, 339 Cleveland Street.

I initially shared a birth date range of perhaps 1917-1920, as I had thought that Elizabeth Copeland may have been quite young when she had her baby hence, why she had to give her son up for Adoption when he was four months old. However, it appears from the wonderful information sourced thus far that Elizabeth Copeland would have actually been approximately 29 years of age when her son was born to her in 1935.

Thank you for kindly updating me with the information sourced which relates to the other 3 residences living at 339 Cleveland Street.

I really do appreciate your time and very kind help.

Suzie