Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ADOLPHE SAALFELD-TITANIC SURVIVOR - HIS WIFE

This thread is part of my research into Adolphe Saalfeld and specifically his wife Gertrude. The research links to my contributions to Synagogue Will Extracts and Cemetery Scribes Blog articles.

I have no connection to these lines but noted that there was limited data on who the wife of Adolphe Saalfeld was. It is not my intention in this thread to post data on Adolphe Saalfeld. He is recorded on various sites as one of the Titanic survivors and I will write further about him when I submit my article to Cemetery Scribes Blog and also in his will extract on Synagogue Scribes.

One key reason why Gertrude his wife has not been identified in terms of her origins is because the records are part of Jewish sources such as JewishGen and the Jewish Chronicle. These sources require registration and in the case of Jewish Chronicle Archive data a payment. The sources are not on Ancestry or other sites currently.

Gertrude is the daughter of MOSES LAZARUS and I will post data on the family.
    Gertrude was married twice- first to Hillel Lippmann Harris and second to Adolphe Saalfeld.

Her first marriage is recorded in the Jewish Chronicle- Married 30.10.1872 14 Grafton Street,Bond Street 3rd daughter of MOSES LAZARUS 46 Woburn Place Russell Square to HILLEL HARRIS of Lisbon,Portugal.
    Gertude's relatives are listed and include sister Kate and brother Samuel.
    GRO Marriage Index Record- GERTRUDE LAZARUS-HILLEL LIPPMANN HARRIS Dec qtr q872 Marylebone 1a 1074

Her father Moses death:
    1.10.1873 at 46 Woburn Place WC after a short illness, Moses Lazarus late of Exeter aged 61 years
    Probate
    Moses Lazarus 46 Woburn Place Russell Square Middlesex Jeweller died 1 October 1873 wife Rebecca, son Barnett 63 Camden Street,Birmingham

Gertrude's second marriage can be seen on JewishGen UK Data base;
    Marriage West London Synagogue 22 February,1888
    GERTRUDE HARRIS widow age 28 65 Sutherland Avenue-father MOSES LAZARUS deceased
    ADOLPHE SAALFELD bachelor 22 65 Sutherland Avenue-father SOLOMON SAALFELD
    Witnesses Isaiah Lazarus; Samuel Lazarus

JewishGen Records show a probable death record for Hillel Harris- Death Gibraltar 8 October 1886
    Hillel Hary ( Harris,Hanis) age 42 Jeweller, England

I will post census and other data on Gertrude's parents and siblings.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

UK Naturalisation Certificates and Declaration:
    HILLEL LIPPMANN HARRIS
    44 Frederick Street,Birmingham Warwick
    Subject of Russia age 31 Married, merchant no children Certificate issued 24 August 1874

Gertrude's parents and siblings can be seen on JewishGen UK 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base:
    Moses Lazarus ID 1062-1812-1873 (Parents Eleazer Lazarus 1789-1845;Julia Solomon 1791-1836)
    Moses married Rebecca SCHULTZ -Exeter Synagogue Marriage Register 10 January,1838
    Their children are listed as:
    Barnett b 1839;Julia 1841;Joseph 1843;Samuel 1845;Elezaer 1848;Nathan 1849;Rachel ( Kate) 1852;GERTRUDE 1853;Edith 1855- in 1851 the family are living at 5 Lansdowne Terrace,Exeter,Devon HO107 1868 498 24 5
    In 1861 the family are at 15 Bernard Street,Russell Square Bloomsbury,Middlesex. Gertrude is age 7 b Exeter,Devon. Her mother was born Poland and father born Exeter-RG9 166 72 30 7

Moses and Rebecca records also appear on Cemetery Scribes ID 16811 and 16816 ( Rebecca's tombstone photograph with inscription is recorded).

Adolphe died in 1926 age 61 see FindaGrave for a short bibliography and photograph. Gertrude died in 1929 age 76 see her tombstone photograph. They are buried Hoop Lane Jewish Cemetery Plots B 30-30 and B 30-31- see also JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry.

The father of Moses Lazarus is Eleazer Lazarus 1789-1845 who was married twice-1 Julia 2 Esther Jacobs. Eleazer is Cemetery Scribes ID 5071;Julia ID 5072;Esther ID 5082. There are children from both marriages. The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,1999 Publisher Robert Boyd- Berger notes at the death of Moses Lazarus 46 Woburn Place in 1872 his relationship to other family members who are- Caroline Barnett sister; Rev A Barnett brother in law;Mrs Joseph Marks sister; N. Lawrence half brother; Mrs Myer Solomon half sister (Caroline Barnett is the sister of N Lawrence and wife of Rev A Barnett-she died in 1871; Julia Lazarus eldest daughter of Moses Lazarus married Bernard Rubenstein; Barnett Lazarus eldest son of Moses Lazarus married Rosetta Harris in 1866 she was the eldest daughter of Abraham Harris of Glasgow.

The following data relates to Rebecca Lazarus nee Schultz mother of Gertrude and Hillel Harris:

1881 Census (Copyright TNA) RG11 56 14 29
    46 Sutherland Gardens,Paddington London
    Rebecca Lazarus H widow 63 b Warsaw,Poland
    Herman Hurwitz son in law 33 Merchant b Germany
    Edith Hurwitz wife 26 b Exeter
    Florence granddaughter 3 b Birmingham

1891 Census RG12 7 7 7 24 (Copyright TNA)
    37 Sutherland Avenue,Paddington,London
    Rebecca Lazarus widow mother in law 74 b Poland Warsaw is living with her son in law Bernard J Rubinstein 63 Commission Agent b Courland,Russia Naturalised British Subject and her daughter Julia age 50 b Exeter,Devon and her children.

In the 1841 Census (Copyright TNA)HO107 268 13 11 15 25 11
    Exeter Devon
    Moses Lazarus 25 watch maker born in county
    Rebecca 20 Ind
    Barnett 2
    Julia 1
    Samuel 15 optician
    No reference to whether or not they were born in county

The London Gazette 18 June 1875
    HILLEL HARRIS 44 Frederick Street Birmingham Warwick Merchant trading as Harris and Co- Bankrupt and Liquidation

Moses Lazarus

Further data on Gertrude Saalfeld nee Harris nee Lazarus:
    GRO Death Index
    Gertrude Saalfeld age 76 June qtr.1929 Kensington 1a 128

Probate
    Gertrude Saalfeld 20 Kensington Palace Mansions,Kensington,Middlesex widow died 27 April,1929. Probate to Frederick Hans Saville director and Victor Politi confectioner Effects £ 3825 18s

Jewish Chronicle May 3,1929
    Death- On the 27th April at 20 Kensington Palace Mansions Gertrude widow of the late Adolph Saalfeld. Deeply mourned by all her relatives

Jewish Chronicle April 25,1930
    The Tombstone in memory of the late Mrs Gertrude Saalfeld will be consecrated at Golders Green Cemetery on Sunday April 27th at 12 o'clock

Adolphe Saalfeld- Jewish Chronicle October 26,1928
    At the Jewish Hospital on Sunday the Rev.Jacob Phillips officiated at the Ceremony of naming a bed endowed by Mrs Adolph Saalfeld in memory of her husband. Mr R.Barrow-Sicree ( Treasurer)spoke in eulogistic terms of the good work done by the deceased gentleman.

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    The father of Moses Lazarus is Eleazer Lazarus 1789-1845 who was married twice-1 Julia 2 Esther Jacobs. Eleazer is Cemetery Scribes ID 5071;Julia ID 5072;Esther ID 5082. There are children from both marriages. The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,1999 Publisher Robert Boyd- Berger notes at the death of Moses Lazarus 46 Woburn Place in 1872 his relationship to other family members who are- Caroline Barnett sister; Rev A Barnett brother in law;Mrs Joseph Marks sister; N. Lawrence half brother; Mrs Myer Solomon half sister (Caroline Barnett is the sister of N Lawrence and wife of Rev A Barnett-she died in 1871; Julia Lazarus eldest daughter of Moses Lazarus married Bernard Rubenstein; Barnett Lazarus eldest son of Moses Lazarus married Rosetta Harris in 1866 she was the eldest daughter of Abraham Harris of Glasgow.
    Hi Phil,
    The earliest known ancestors of the LAZARUS family of Exeter are Moses (Moshe ben Reb Eliezer) Lazarus, died Chudliegh, Devon, in 1811 and buried in the old Jewish cemetery in Exeter, and Nancy(Yenta M---- bas Itzak) Lazarus, died 1810 and also buried in the Exeter Jewish Cememtery.
    They had three positively identified sons, Eliezer, Lyon/Lippa and David. (I'm descended from Eliezer and Lyon). The recurring names in these families can get confusing and, with all the best intentions, Doreen Berger adds to that confusion. Various members of the extended LAZARUS family of Exeter adopted the name LAWRENCE /LAWRANCE /LAURANCE /LAURENCE at different times and N. LAWRENCE was Nathan LAZARUS.
    However, I have to revisit this entry of hers. There were two Nathan LAZARUSes, both international opticians. One remained Nathan LAZARUS, but the other changed his surname to LAWRENCE. Will get back to this in next post.

The first Exeter Lazarus generation, Moses b. Eliezer d.1811 and Nancy d.1810 had definitively known sons

--Eliezer b. Moshe, born Exeter c. 1789, died age 56 9th November 1844 at the Ebrington Inn, Newport, Barnstable. (He and his father apparently both died while traveling as pedlars. Several of the men died while traveling.) Eliezer's first wife, Julia Galya bas Reb Natan nee SOLOMON died 16th July 1836 and was buried in the old Exeter Jewish Cemetery. (She had nine granddaughters named Julia!) Eliezer married Esther JACOBS, apparently a widow, 6th Sept 1840, in Exeter. (This marriage, to judge by newspaper stories, appears to have gone sour and Esther and her presumed son, Abraham Jacobs, seem to disappear after the 1841census.)

--Lyon /Lionel /L(e)yen Judah ben Moses LAZARUS was born c.1790. The 1841 Census, the only one in which he appears, records his birth under 'Foreign', but I don't know why this should have been the case. He died 8th Oct 1849 at 29 Frankfort St, Plymouth, where he and his family lived. He was buried in the Jewish Cemetery on Plymouth Hoe.
    B13 Tombstone inscription: Judah, thy brothers bless thee [Gen. 49:8]/ Your name is praised as generous
    hearted/ The poor and orphans ... at thy table/ With a perfect heart thou didst serve the Lord thy God/ In the bond of life shall thy soul rest/ Judah ben Moses, died 20 Av 5609.
    He was married to Matilda Minkla bas Avigdor LYON, born Bideford, Devon, c.1801, died London 1885.

--David Lazarus, born Exeter c.1792, died 15 March 1862 at Waterbeer-street, Exeter. Married Elizabeth /Betsy Beila bas Naphtali HaLevy JONAS [of Topsham?] born Devon c. 1804. died 12 July 1848. Exeter, and buried in the old Exeter Jewish Cemetery.

There is evidence of other probable or possible sons of Moses and Nancy LAZARUS. Eliezer and David and their descendants were active in the Exeter Hebrew congregation, they and their relations functioning as officers. In the congregational ledger 1818-1826 listed together are:
    Widow Lazarus
    Isaac Lazarus
    Eleazer Lazarus
    David Lazarus

More is known about Isaac, but not enough to determine his relationship to Eleazer and David, and none to tell us who Widow Lazarus was. There was also a Samuel LAZARUS, a hatter maker in Exeter c.1818-1820, who went bankrupt in 1821 and seems to be the same Samuel Lazarus, manufacturer of silk hats, who later turns up in Hull and Leeds, but whom I haven't been able to trace after 1824.

More to follow.

Default Children of Eleazer LAZARUs & Julia SOLOMON

I'm not going to go into further genealogies except where they relate more specifically to Gertrude LAZARUS and the notices from the Jewish Chronicle posted above. These relate primarily to Eleazer ben Moses ben Eleazer Lazarus and Julia and their descendants. (I'm assuming that all Eleazer's children were by Julia as every one but one (who didn't marry) had a daughter Julia). All born Exeter:

-Caroline c.1814-1871, m. 1838 Rev. Abraham Barnett (minister of the Bristol, Hambro and New Synagogues)

-Moses c.1814-1873 m.1838 Rebecca Ribca b Yehuda SCHULTZ, daughter of Lewis and Louisa Schultz of Exeter

-Isaac c.1817-1889 m. 1842 Eliza JACOBS

-Nancy /Ann c.1819-1905 m. 1856 Joseph MARKS of Poland (this Nancy LAZARUS was the LAZARUS grandmother of my grandmother, Nancy Alice LAZARUS/LAURANCE RICHARDSON.)

-Lewis c.1821 - died sometime after 1871 m.1850 Julia BARNETT /BARNARD, daughter of Bernard BARNETT and Sarah SIMONS

-David c.1822-1895 m. Deborah MARKS (her 2nd marriage) daur of Moses MARKS and Rachel SOLOMON (no known connection to Joseph MARKS, husband of Nancy - I wish there were). David and Deborah immigrated to Australia.

-Samuel Joyful (one of the many opticians in the family) 1824- 1888 m. 1846 his first cousin Nancy, daughter of Lyon and Matilda Lazarus

-Nathan (another optician) LAZARUS, later LAURANCE /LAWRENCE c.1826-1890 m.1853 his first cousin Fanny LAZARUS, sister of Nancy, sister-in-law of Samuel Joyful, daur of Lyon and Matilda Lazarus.

[This is the N. LAWRENCE whom Doreen Berger identified wrongly as a half-brother. Nathan Fanny traveled to Canada and the USA before returning to London. Their travels can be traced in census records by the birth places of their many children. Fanny is one of my women heroes as she must have been packing up and moving her increasing and very young family while pregnant and/or nursing. I hope Nathan appreciated her. Sadly, several of their children were poisoned by a servant in the US, one of whom died.]

-Deborah c.1828-1894 m. 1849 Meyers SOLOMON (another optician) 1822 (Prussia)-1874

-Solomon, born c.1829, recorded in the 1851 census as an optician; may be the Solomon Lazarus age 29 who died 1858 in Whitechapel

[Note: sisters Nancy and Fanny (wives of Samuel Joyful and Nathan above) were also the sisters of my grandmother Nancy Alice's grandfather, Frank LAZARUS, son of Lyon and Matilda Lazarus]
    Last edited by Eve Mary; 19-05-2022 at 9:30 PM. Reason: additional information

Gertrude! Where's Gertrude!

She was a daughter of Moses LAZARUS and Rebecca SCHULTZ in my previous post. These are Moses and Rebecca's children:

-Baruch LAZARUS /Barnett LAURANCE (Optician) 1838(Exmouth)-1905 (Toronto,Canada) m. 1866 Rosetta HARRIS of Scotland

- Julia 1840-???? m. 1863 Bernard Joseph RUBENSTEIN (son of Levin) c,1827 (Courland, Russia) - 1908 (London)

- Joseph, born 1842 (Exeter) Note: Joseph and his brother Barnett appear as Electroplate Manufacturers, Visitors, in the 1861 Census at 38 Mansell St in London, the household of Samuel Mark LAZARUS (born Portsmouth) and Nancy (nee NATHAN). I lose him after this.
    (Samuel Mark LAZARUS is very possibly related via common ancestry to the Exeter Lazarus family, but I haven't been able to confirm it. The families are connected by marriage.)

- Samuel (Optician and merchant) born Exeter 1844 m. 1868 Isabella MEYERS. (I seem to have lost them after the 1891 Census, but don't have a subscription that will let me look again now.)

-Sarah Kate - died early 1847 aged 18 months.

-Eleazer LAZARUS /Edward LAURANCE - seems to have been born c.1847 or 1848 in Exeter (based on census records and tombstone) m.1876 Lucy Daniels MULHOLLAND of Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada. He appears to have been married a second time, before the 1901 Census, to Rebecca CANNING (or perhaps they weren't married?) He died 1911 in Toronto and was buried in the oldest Jewish Cemetery (Holy Blossom Temple) (as was his brother Barnett). Edward LAURANCE had married out, but in the 1901 Canada Census is recorded as Race Hebrew, Religion Jewish. I don't know where his wives were buried.

- Nathan LAZARUS (Optician) Born Exeter c.1849. Died at sea 1909. M. 1880 Sarah BRAHAM (daur of Henry Braham and Ann LEVY) at the Synagogue, Pollock Street, Calcutta. This Nathan Lazarus established an optical business in Calcutta, India, and travelled to Australia and New Zealand on business. His business continued after his death, expanding to Malaysia.
    [One of Nathan and Sarah's sons, Lawrence Nathan Lazarus, was married off (apparently it was an arranged marriage) to my grandmother, Nancy Alice Lazarus, in London, England, in 1916 when she was 18. They went of to Argentina and it's my guess that he was supposed to open a branch of the family business there. But the marriage didn't work and Granny took off with a man she met on shipboard, my grandfather (he had been in the British Navy in WWI and may have been a seaman on the ship). Lawrence also had a second 'marriage' (he and Granny were never divorced) and a family. I was fortunate enough to meet one of Nathan's granddaughters (niece of Lawrence), Newy McCarthy (Newrelia Lazarus), who had been born in India and had also been expected to go into the family's optical business, but she didn't.)

- Rachel Kate born c.1852 (another missing birth record?) Died London, England, 1902. Married 1873 Samuel WOLFFE (born Germany c. 1846, died London, England, 1926) (They lived in Glasgow, Scotland, between c.1879 and 1901.)
    (One of their sons, Jabez WOLFFE, made several attempts to swim the English Channel. He failed, but did coach swimmer who succeeded. Giles CROFT, theatre producer, wrote and performed a one-man show about Jabez, our mutual cousin.)

- GERTRUDE!!! Born Exeter c.1853 I know very little about Gertrude beyond that she married Hillel Lippmann HARRIS in 1872. Thanks to Phil, I will now know more.

- Edith born Exeter c.1855 died Thanet, Kent, 1924 Married 1876 Herman HURWITZ (b. Germany c. 1847. d. Brighton, 1925)

- Lionel LAURANCE (Optician) b. Exeter c.1858, d. Golder's Green, London, 1936 Married 1912 Agnes E. MURFITT.
    Lionel was an optician of some note. He spent time in the 1890s in Canada, in Montreal and Toronto, before returning to England. In Toronto he was the proprietor of the Optical Institute of Canada. I don't know how big this was; it doesn't seem to have survived his departure from Toronto. However, in London he was a professor of optics, wrote several textbooks and was involved in the establishment of standard setting for opticians. (As far as I've been able to surmise, this meant standards for teaching and examinations of students of optics.)
    --------------------

Re Nathan LAZARUS and Optical business in India, I should mention LAWRENCE & MAYO, now a big firm in India. Lawrence & Mayo was not founded by Nathan LAZARUS; however, it was founded either by his cousin Nathan (LAZARUS) LAWRENCE, or by Nathan LAWRENCE's sons. I don't know what business relationships all the Lazarus /Lawrence /Laurence (and DRUIFF, another family intermarried with the Lazarus one) manufacturing, wholesale and retail businesses had between London, Canada, India and Malaysia, but I assume there were some.

Caveat: I see in typing all this up that I haven't visited much of this information since birth records became available online, so those recorded as "circa" come from census records and those weren't always consistent. Also, I can't afford to purchase BMD certificates so some deaths are best guesses based on what I've found on the FreeBMD and GRO websites. Others are from Probate records from when I had a subscription to Ancestry.com, but I haven't indicated those here. Anyone using this information can ask me for specifics (if I have them) but should otherwise check for themselves.

Phil, I hope this is what you wanted. Sorry I'm not up to your very careful posting of sources, but I will provide <some> if you want them. Most of the material that isn't specific to genealogy (BMD dates) comes from Googling names and seeing what turns up.

Cheers, Eve

Quote Originally Posted by Eve Mary View Post
    Gertrude! Where's Gertrude!

Most of the material that isn't specific to genealogy (BMD dates) comes from Googling names and seeing what turns up.

Cheers, Eve
    To clarify, by "what turns up" I mean such things as city and professional directories, professional journals, newspaper items, lists of patents, books for sale (eg Lionel Laurance's textbooks), any number of items that one would formerly have have found in archives or libraries but that are increasingly available online. I did not mean genealogical data posted by subscribers unsupported by evidence!

I should add because I can't now edit the posts that I have inadvertently used both Eleazer and Eliezer spelling of that name. This is because both were used in the sources and I forget to be consistent. The difference in spelling seems immaterial for the periods involved. (Phil, I know you know this, but others may get confused.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast