Settling in

Default WWI Military Brickwall Welsh Regiment

Good Afternoon Everyone

Please excuse my Military naivety, as I am trying to locate how one finds out where an ancestor would have 'Signed up' to join the 9th/3rd Welch Battalion in England?
    My hope is to be able to locate where Private Harry Tull(e)y HARRISON, Service No: 64296, may have been living in 1914.

I have located some of Private Harry Tulley Harrison's military information from Forces War Records namely; Harry Tulley Harrison Served as a Private in 1914 and as a Lance Corporal in 1918 for the Welsh Regiment, Service No: 64296. Unfortunately, both Military records do not pertain to his personal next of kin information nor home address.

Please may I ask when a person 'Signed up' to Serve in WWI in a particular Regiment is that person known only by one Service Regiment Number throughout their Military Service during WWI?

Thank you for your kind help/assistance regarding the above, as it is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
    SuzieQ

Super Moderator

Is this the Harry Tulley Harrison who lived in Liverpool? Born about 1898, died 1962? Do you have any other details i.e. spouse name, etc? There are so many Harry Harrisons in the military section on Ancestry, so I don't know which one is the right one without checking all of them!

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Is this the Harry Tulley Harrison who lived in Liverpool? Born about 1898, died 1962? Do you have any other details i.e. spouse name, etc? There are so many Harry Harrisons in the military section on Ancestry, so I don't know which one is the right one without checking all of them!
    Hello suemalings

Thank you so much for your very kind help re Private Harry Tulley Harrison.
    I can confirm his birth date was: 23 November 1898, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England.
    Harry Tull(e)y Harrison died on the 23 November 1962, Huyton, West Derby, Liverpool, England.
    His father's name was Harry HARRISON, Mother's name Sarah (sadly, I cannot find a Marriage entry for Harry Harrison to Sarah.)

Harry Tull(e)y Harrison's Spouses' names are: Miss Violet Pearl Wood Rutter, 15 May 1919, West Derby, Liverpool, England.
    Second Marriage to Winifred O'Rourke, January 1931, West Derby, Liverpool, England.

I believe that Harry Tull(e)y Harrison resided at 62 Celt Street, Liverpool in approx. 1919. Sadly, I do not have any further information as to where he may have been residing pre 1914 or during his WWI Military Service from 1914-1919.

Thank you once again for kindly taking the time to help me, as it is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    SuzieQ

Is this the 64296 Pte Harry T Harrison of the Welsh Regt who was awarded the Victory and British medals? The one extra bit of info that can be gained from his medal card (apart from the middle initial) is that he did not reach the Front in 1914 or 15 - if he had, he would have been given the 14 or 15 Star as well.

To deal with your specific questions:
    As far as I know, the only way to find out where someone joined up in WW1 would be to find their service record (or sometimes their pension papers). Since about 2/3 of service records were destroyed during WW2, you have to be lucky.
    Soldiers didn't necessarily stay with the unit that they started in. Depending on the need for men, they were moved around, and could have been in 2 or more units.
    Depending on their health, they could be moved into a service regiment if they were well enough to serve, but not to fight.

The service number they started with during WW1 often changed when they changed regiments as different numbers were issued in blocks to the assorted regiments, especially early in the war. Some time in the middle, someone realised it was simpler if each soldier was assigned a personal number.

BTW I have moved your thread to the WW1 forum as it's more like to find experts there. "Finding your feet" is a bit more like a sat nav for the whole forum.
    Have a look at the stickies at the top of the forum, you may find one or two useful.

This looks to be Harry's birth registration on the GRO index. The GRO index gives the mother's maiden name prior to 1911 which FreeBMD doesn't do. However if the birth is an illegitimate one the mother's maiden name is not given in the GRO index and that is the case for Harry's registration. You need to buy the birth certificate to see whether a father is named. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...app_select.asp
    HARRISON, HARRY TULLY -
    GRO Reference: 1898 December Quarter registration district CHESTERFIELD Vol 7B Page 738

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Harry, Violet and William H are on the 1921 census and his birth place is given as Chesterfield Derbyshire which helps confirm the birth registration. I can only view the transcript and hover over the image so can't view the original but the transcript has his middle initial as J.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQ View Post
    Harry Tulley Harrison Served as a Private in 1914 and as a Lance Corporal in 1918 for the Welsh Regiment, Service No: 64296.
    Hi Susie

I don't see any reference to him (a) having been in the army in 1914 or (b) having become a Lance Corporal. His medal cards only show him as having been a private.

Also not sure where you get 9th/3rd Battalion from - he's only recorded as having been in the 9th.

Conscription began in 1916, and as Harry would not have turned 18 until 23 November 1916 he would not have been conscripted before then, although men weren't supposed to be sent to the front until they turned 19.

Forces War Records have a record for H T Harrison service number 64296 in the War Office Daily List No.5754. He is recorded as a Lance Corporal in the Welsh Regiment and on the 21/12/1918 entitled to " wear a "Wound Stripe" as authorised under Army Order 204 of the 6th July 1916. The terms of this award being named on this list."

Next of kin not named but listed as living in Liverpool and no reference to a Battalion on this report.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Good Morning Jomot1, christanel and Lesley Robertson

Firstly, thank you to you all for your kind assistance in helping me to try and understand Harry Tulley Harrison's Military Service history and perhaps, connect the dots as to where he may have been living in England before Signing up and possible names of his Next of Kin.

I have just spoken with the grandson of Harry Tull(e)y Harrison and I can confirm that on the Certificate of* Transfer to Reserve, Pte Harry Tulley Harrison, Regiment No: 64296, 3rd Welsh Regiment, 30/08/16. *Transferred to Reserve 63rd TRB. Also Served in Welsh Regiment. Transferred to Army Reserve on the 04/05/19, Class Z.

I have also just read a letter that Harry Tull(e)y Harrison wrote to his Dad, Harry Harrison, written on YMCA paper, date: Easter Sunday, which apologies for not being able to write to his Dad sooner, as he has been in the trenches and states 'I was in that last big do.' Very moving but so grateful that Harry survived!

I very much look forward to sharing any of your thoughts re the above.

Sincerely,
    SuzieQ

Settling in

{BTW I have moved your thread to the WW1 forum as it's more like to find experts there. "Finding your feet" is a bit more like a sat nav for the whole forum.
    Have a look at the stickies at the top of the forum, you may find one or two useful.}

Thank you Lesley for your invaluable information and help with my query and for also kindly moving my Thread to the WWI Forum. I shall definitely take time to look at the 'stickies' at the top of the Forum, as I am sure they will be very helpful indeed.

Kind regards, SuzieQ