Settling in

Default Missing MORRIS children (London 1911)

I trying to find out what happened to Victoria Maria MORRIS (b. 19 Sep 1902, Mile End Old Town, London) and her brother Edward Robert MORRIS (b. 21 Apr 1905, Rochford, Essex). I have seen baptism records (on Ancestry) for both children which confirm their date of birth, parents and their place of residence (25 Bow Common Lane, London which happens to be the Nags Head public house) but I can find no further records.

Their parents were Edward MORRIS (b. about 1865, Limehouse, London) and Victoria ROGERS (b. 29 Nov 1882, Tower Hamlets, London), my great grandaunt. Edward (a widower) and Victoria were married in 1901 in Poplar, London. In the 1911 Census (RG 21/1649 SN346), Edward and Victoria are both still resident at 25 Bow Common Lane (i.e. the Nags Head) but there is no sign of Victoria Maria or Edward Robert. According to the 1911 census, both children are still living. I can find no further trace of them.

I have discounted the Victoria MORRIS living with her grandparents (RG 25/2052 SN418) because her grandparents were born circa 1850 which does not fit with the birth of Edward MORRIS in 1865. Looking in the GRO index, there is a Victoria Alexandra MORRIS (mmn FLINT) registered in 1st quarter 1901 in Southwark. My Victoria Maria MORRIS is in the index (mmn ROGERS) registered in 4th quarter 1902.

Thanks,
    Matt

Famous for offering help & advice

Possible in 1939,same DOB.

Edward R Morris 21 Apr 1905 Newspaper Warehouseman & Dre
    Winifred F Morris 28 Dec 1906 Typist
    Married
    8 Cleveland Park Crescent, Walthamstow, Wanstead and Woodford M.B., Essex, England

1921=Edward Robert,Victoria Louise and Victoria Maria are in Rochford Essex.Can’t see address as the census isn’t included in subs. You can pay to open the record on FMP.

28 Rolls Park Crescent,Chingford.

Victoria M Simmonds 19 Sept 1903 Divorced ( date has been altered,but that’s how it’s transcribed)

Victoria L Morris 29 November 1882 Widow

Ancestry have mistranscribed the ages! 56 & 57 yrs old!

Possible marraige.

Charles H Simmonds
    Victoria Morris
    Rochford
    Essex

One possibility could be that Edward simply filled out the census form wrongly and thought it only applied to adults. He wouldn't be the first to make a hash of it!

Probate
    Morris, Edward of the Half Way House public house, Southchurch Beach, Southend on Sea, Essex, died 29 May 1917. Probate london 20 September to Victoria Louisa Morris, widow. Effects £7,829 12s 5d.

Kelly's has Edward Morris as publican in 1917. I can see him as late as 1914 at the Nag's Head - he was closely involved with the sport of trotting.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The 1921 Census address is "10 Royal Terrace, Southend"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Settling in

Thank you all for your time and help - some useful finds for me to follow up on. I'm intrigued where the "Louise/Louisa" in Victoria L Morris comes from - it doesn't seem to appear until 1921.