Default DR HENRY MORRIS SIMMONDS c1827-1902

This new thread relates to my earlier posts on Frances Eve Benjamin and specifically on her mother Rebecca Simmonds daughter of Woolf Simmonds and Eve Jacobs. I have posted numbers of threads on the Simmonds, Benjamin and related lines and this new thread seeks to provide new data on the relationships.

The focus of my research relating to Dr Henry Morris Simmonds born circa 1827 was his census records which showed he was born in Barbados West Indies but returned to the UK where he studied and qualified as a Surgeon in 1853 London. He was also a Licensed Apothecary in 1850.

The Simmonds/Hauer family tree of 1915 has a son of Morris Benjamin Simmonds 1803-1876 ( son of Woolf Simmonds and Eve Jacobs) called Henry but no further data has emerged regarding who he might be.

The will of Rebecca Benjamin in 1890 named Edward Benjamin 20 Graces Road Camberwell and Walter Simmonds 58 Camberwell Road as executors. Researching the two names I confirmed that Walter Simmonds was the son of Henry Morris Simmonds. I will post further data on Walter Simmonds and Edward Benjamin.

I speculated that Henry Morris Simmonds had a connection to Morris Benjamin Simmonds who had settled in St.Thomas, West Indies and had died on the island but I did not know if he was his son, relative or friend.

I still don't know the answer but there is the confirmation in the will of Morris Benjamin Simmonds that he did know Henry Morris Simmonds and his comment suggest a very close relationship. In his will dated 1873 Morris states.." I bequeath to Doctor Henry Morris Simmonds of Camberwell,England five hundred dollars as a token of my love and esteem for him". In his will Morris gives further bequests including to his daughter Mrs Caroline Jacobs as a marriage portion and to his wife Julia Roche.

I have yet to read every will listed in the Danish West Indies Probate Records- it appears that Morris recorded numerous papers relating to his probate over several years.

Dr Henry Morris Simmonds died at 66 Camberwell Road Surrey on 24 May 1902 and left probate to Hubert Arthur Simmonds draper Effects £20374.7s.5d- this is a substantial amount for the time. He is buried in Norwood Cemetery Lambeth May 28,1902.
    If he is Jewish then he married out of the Jewish custom -
    Church of England Marriage
    St.Mark Kennington
    May 27,1852
    Henry Morris Simmonds bachelor full age Surgeon Camberwell Green-father Henry Simmonds deceased
    Mary Little spinster full age Camberwell Green father Edward Fuller? Little Cooper?
    Witnesses Edward Cullen? Little; Sarah Coller?

Further research is needed to link Henry to Morris and identify who Henry his father was and also his mother and any siblings.

I will post further data on Henry Morris Simmonds. If my Simmonds cousins read this post any thoughts on the relationships welcome.

I will
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Famous for offering help & advice

There is this baptism.There is an image of the register on Familysearch.

Name Henry Morris Simmons
    Sex Male
    Baptism Date 24 Mar 1827
    Baptism Place St Michael, Barbados
    Mother's Name Mary A Simmons
    It states that Mary A Simmons is a ‘free col’d woman’

www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/548109[/url]
    image 245 of 331

Many thanks Pamela for the data. I have seen the record and need to research further. This maybe a new line I and my cousins know nothing about. Thank you for looking.

In the following posts I will provide census and other data on Dr Henry Morris Benjamin. The 1851 Census ( Copyright TNA)HO107 1567 234 20 9 records him living at 3 Villa Place Newington Surrey
    Henry SIMONDS H U 24 Surgeon b West Indies,Barbados
    The Newington,Surrey area was the location for other Simmonds.
    1861 (Copyright TNA) RG9 386 15 21 1
    74 Albany Road Camberwell Surrey
    Henry Simonds H M 34 General Practitioner MRCS b West Indies
    Mary wife 33 b Surrey
    Rosa dau 5 b Camberwell
    Walter son 3 b Camberwell
    1871 (Copyright TNA) RG10 616 46 5 11
    66 Camberwell Road St.Mary Newington London
    Henry Simmonds H M 44 General Practitioner MRCS b Barbados
    Mary wife 43 b Surrey Camberwell
    Eveline dau 3 b Newington

1901 Census ( Copyright TNA)
    66 Camberwell Road Newington
    Henry Morris Simmonds H W widowerer 74 Retired Surgeon b Barbados,West Indies
    Rosa dau S 40 b Camberwell

The following is the Marriage Record of Henry's son Walter:
    Parish Church St.Mary,Newington,Surrey
    3 June 1886
    Walter SIMMONDS 28 Bachelor Auctioneer 58 Camberwell Road father Henry Morris Simmonds Surgeon
    Mary Ann Horton ROOTS 24 Spinster 58 Camberwell Road father George Roots Accountant
    Witnesses George Roots; H M Simmonds;Emma Martins?

Another son's marriage:
    All Saints Church Carshalton Surrey
    4 August 1901
    Hubert Arthur SIMMONDS Bachelor 30 Draper Manor Terrace Sidkup Kent father Henry Morris Simmonds,Doctor
    Fanny Elizabeth EVANS 25 Spinster West Street Carshalton father DSamuel John Evans Builder
    Witnesses-Samuel John Evans; Walter Simmonds

Further data to follow.

The Jewish Chronicle Archives recorded Dr H M Simmonds medical services to the Borough Jewish Schools. He had a testimonial and silver coffee service presnted to him as honary medical attendant to the schools since their formation.JC December 1,1882. He also attended the Borough Schools Dinner in 1870.
    Interestingly, the name A M Simmonds 66 Camberwell Road SE appears in the Medical records of Frances Eve Benjamin in 1888. I suspect the first initial of the name A M Simmonds should read H. Henry Morris Simmonds was living at 66 Camberwell Road from the 1850s.

The data suggests that Henry Morris Simmonds had Jewish roots which as yet are not identified. In the Irish Medical Directory 1859 his record reads;
    Henry Simmonds 66 Camberwell Road SE, M.R.C.S. Eng 1853; L.S.A. 1850 (St.Thomas): Surg.P.Div ( Camberwell) Police, St.Saviours Sick Asylum and Boro Jewish Schools. Contribution: Poisoning by Laudanum, Lancet,1856; Treatment of Gonorrhoea, Med Times Gazette,1869.
    Henry Simmonds married Mary Little- she was the daughter of Edward Cullen Little oil and colourman Church Street Camberwell Surrey wife Mary daughter of Richard Keen boot maker 19 High Street Newington Surrey. Mary was born Crown Place Old Kent Road Camberwell Surrey 18 October 1827.

Probate
    Mary Simmonds 66 Camberwell Road Surrey ( wife of Henry Morris Simmonds) died 26 April,1898 at St.Thomas Home,Lambeth Surrey- Administration ( with will) to William Little,Gentleman Effects £874 3s 3d

I will post on the children of Henry Morris Simmonds.

Default HUBERT ARTHUR SIMMONDS -FANNY ELIZABETH EVANS

This post provides follow up data on the sons of Dr Henry Morris Simmonds:
    1901 14 August MARRIAGE
    All Saints Church,Carshalton
    Hubert Arthur Simmonds 30 Bachelor Draper -Manor Terrace Sidcup Kent father Henry Morris Simmonds Doctor
    Fanny Elizabeth Evans 25 Spinster West Street Carshalton-father SamuelJohn Evans Builder
    Witnesses
    Walter Simmonds,SamuelJohn Evans

1911 Census ( Copyright TNA) RG14 53
    Claremont House Muswell Hill
    Hubert Arthur Simmonds 39 Drapery Traveller Wholesale Drapery b Camberwell Surrey
    Fanny Elizabeth wife 32 Married 9 years 0 children b Carshalton Surrey

Probate
    Hubert Arthur Simmonds 120 East Dulwich Grove Surrey died 23 October 1933
    Probate Fanny Elizabeth Simmonds widow Effects £732 1s 1d

Default WALTER SIMMONDS son of HENRY MORRIS SIMMONDS

This post provides data on Walter Simmonds son of Dr Henry Morris Simmonds. There are questions regarding his data post 1891 Census and family trees have presented either in -accurate or limited information.

1891 Census (Copyright TNA)RG12 357 77 74 11
    58 Camberwell Road Newington London
    Walter Simmonds H M 33 Auctioneer b Surrey
    Mary wife 25?b Kent

Nb I am currently unable to trace a Walter Simmonds with a wife Mary in the 1901 Census however the following census suggest he maybe the same individual but with a 'wife'Maud.

1901 Census(Copyright TNA) RG 13 430113 33 40
    73 Water Lane Lambeth London
    Walter Simmonds H M 42 Auctioneer and Surveyor Valuer and Estate Agent Employer b London
    Maud wife 36 b Gibraltar BS
    Winifred M BURNS step daughter 5 b London
    Harold W Simmonds son 2b London

1911 Census ( Copyright TNA) RG14 02
    23 Hayter Road Norwood Lambeth London
    Walter Simmonds Lodger Married Valuer,House Agent b Camberwell
    Maud wife 45 Married 14 years 1 child 1 alive b Gibraltar English parents

GRO Birth Index Harold Walter Simmonds S qtr 1898Wandsworth 1d 801 Mothers Maiden name SCULLARD.

Maud Scullard had married James Burn in 1894 Camberwell- she was 29 and her parents George Scullard Gentleman

Nb One family tree on Ancestry has made the error of linking a Divorce between a James Burn and an Annie Maud Burn but failed to note that her maiden name was Macrone who married a James Burn in 1889 when aged 32 with her father John Macrone.She re-married toCharles Montague Tull in Ontario Canada 1891. She is not the same person as Maud Scullard.

However, currently I can't locate a marriage between Walter Simmonds and Maud Scullard using both Burn and Scullard as her surname.

Harold Walter Simmonds 1898-1986 died Herne Bay Kent and married Marjorie Grace Honebourne.

Given the issues regarding data and also what happened to Mary the 1st wife of Walter Simmonds remains to be determined.

Default EVELINE ADELE SIMMONDS - EUSTACE H MOLLOY

The following data relates to Eveline Adele Simmonds daughter of Dr Henry Morris Simmonds. Currently, the data is limited post her marriage in 1889 and she may have separated from her husband. Further research is required.

Marriage 10 January 1889 St Mark Kennington Church of England
    Eustace Harper Molloy 31 Bachelor Superintendant of Police Burma -Rangoon Burma-father Robert Molloy M.D. Deceased
    Eveline Adele Simmonds 21 Spinster St Marks Kennington father Henry Morris Simmonds Surgeon

Witnesses H M Simmonds, Marian Lewis, F.W.Harper

1911 Ireland Census ( Copyright Ireland Archives)
    Oakley Road Rathmines and Rathgar East,Dublin
    Eustace Harper Molloy 54 b 1857 Notting Hill London Civil Service of India Imperial Police Burma Retired and Pensioner Religion C of E

Probate
    Eustace Harper Molloy 9 Maxwell Road Rathgar Dublin Died 24 April 1916. Administration Eveline Adele Molloy widow Effects £1167 6s 3d

Probate
    Eveline Adele Molloy 38 Kingsfield Road Oxley Watford Hertfordshire widow died 3 March 1946 at Napsbury Hospital St.Albans Hertfordshire Administration with will to Stanley Wright Little retired bank official £935 11s 3d

Ancestry family trees have Estelle b 1890 Burma and Constance Annie as daughters but I have yet to confirm.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

To add, also in the Jacobs/Simmonds/Hauer family tree there is a "Henry", son of Morris Benjamin, but with no added data. In the 1846 Charlotte Amalie census, there appear several Simmonds listed living at the big home of M.B. Simmonds on 16 Commandant Gade.
    - M.B. Simmonds, England, Widower, Israelite, 43, Scribner
    - Julia E. Simmonds, St. Thomas, Israelite, 15 (his daughter Julia Eve)
    - E. C. Simmonds, United States, Israelite, 7 , (his daughter Esther Caroline)
    - B. Simmonds, England, Israelite, unmarried, 26 (?, M.B. had a brother named Benedict)
    - Col Simmonds, England, Israelite, unmarried, 32, merchant (likely Coleman, younger brother to M.B)
    - M. Simmonds, St. Thomas, Catholic, 8 (?, whose children)
    - R. Simmonds, St. Thomas, Catholic, 3 (?, whose children)
    - Ellen Simmonds, St. Thomas, Catholic, 1 (?, whose children)