Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default William Godfrey Haydon

Dear everyone
    Hope you all are okay with the current health crisis,

I am trying to confirm the correct surname of William.

He was born 1816 Essex England,
    deported to Australia on ship Redovery 1835. listed as William G. Haydon aged 63years.
    on death cett. states gather George, mother Maria.

trying to verify if his surname is Hayden or Godfrey. As everything in Aust is listed as Wiliam Godfrey Haydon.

hope you can help.
    thanks
    Doreenh

Brick wall demolition expert!

According to the “Claim a Convict” web site [Claim a Convict: Search for a Convict (hawkesbury.net.au)] there was no ship called the Redovery.

However the RECOVERY 3 sailed from London on 30 Oct 1835 arriving in Port Jackson on 25 Feb 1836, and on that ship there was a passenger called William Godfrey who was convicted at Surrey QS on 30 Jun 1835 and sentenced to 14 years. There is no convict named Haydon.

William Godfrey was convicted of assault with intent to rob and was 18 years old when convicted.

Dear Megan
    thankyou. when you look at the Gaol description book for 1818-1830 for nsw.
    it states: William G. Haydan, with same details Recovery 3, 1835. no mention of him as Wiliam Godfrey.
    so now trying to verify his parents: possible George and Maria.
    thanks
    Doreenh

Trove Newspapers
    Australian Chronicle, 20 April 1843
    The undermentioned prisoners of the Crown have obtained tickets of leave since the last day of publication :-
    County of St. Vincent, Braidwood
    William Godfrey, Recovery
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FMP Prison Registers
    Convicted - Surrey County Sessions, 30 Jun 1835
    William Godfrey; Read or Write - R; Age - 18; Offence - Assault with intent to steal; Sentence - transportation 14 years

A William Godfrey was sentenced to transportation for 7 years at the Central Criminal Court on 31 Oct 1835 - offence common larceny. Yet to spot which ship he sailed on.

Dear Megan and super moderator.
    Yes I concede he was born William Godfrey, must have added Haydon on arrival. that is fine.
    But connected to this family. I am tryng to find the connection between Sir John Hindmarsh, first Governor of South Australia born 1785-died 1860. Yes I have printed off wikepaedia info, as well Austn Dictionary of Biography which gives me his wives and children. But tryhing tofind which child is married to a Morris.
    reason being: Bessie Lee Hindmarsh Morris, according to her death notice in the Adelaide Daily Adertise states that Sir John Hindmsrsh is her great uncle. now Bessie's father Henry Thomas Morris married a Bessie Lee and a Bessie Osborne. So it could be through Henry's mother, his father was Thomas Morris.
    Henry born 21 Dec 1823 Kent England. died 1911 Kapunda SA.
    hope you can help.
    Doreenh

Quote Originally Posted by DoreenH View Post
    But trying to find which child is married to a Morris.
    Doreenh
    Illustrated London News, 6 Oct 1860
    "Rear Admiral Sir John Hindmarsh was the only son of the late John Hindmarsh, Esq., and married Susan Wilson, daughter of H D Edmeades, Esq. She died at Brighton, on 2 April 1859. They leave an only son, John, a barrister of the Middle Temple and J.P. of Port Elliot, South Australia; and three daughters - one the wife of Alfred Miller Mundy, Esq., of Shipley Hall, Derbyshire and one the wife of George Milner Stephen, Esq, barrister at law, and one unmarried daughter."

Sheffield Independent - 26 Nov 1864
    "MARRIAGES
    ELLIS - HINDMARSH - Nov 16th, at Melton Ross, Lincolnshire, John Ellis, Esq., of Boulogne, to Susannah, eldest daughter of the late Admiral Sir John Hindmarsh".

Any of the above fit the info. you already hold?

Scottish Press - 13 Dec 1853
    "MARRIAGES - On the 8th inst, at St. George's, Bloomsbury, JOHN HINDMARSH, Esq., Barrister at Law, only son of Captain Sir John Hindmarsh, R.N., K.H., Governor of Heligoland, to Mary, third daughter of Samuel Long, Esq., of Purbeck Terrace, Southsea."

Dear helachau
    yes have found the connection. thankyou.
    one hopefully last question re William Godfrey. trying to confirm correct parents,
    I have George Godfrey m,. Maria Hall 1812 St. Marys Chatham Kent.
    my query is that Wiliam states on convict record place of birth 1815 Essex, but on criminal court records Surrey. thanks
    Doreenh