Famous for offering help & advice

Default husbands names on a death certificate

I have a lady in my family tree who died in Scotland in 2003. She married 3 times so her 3 surnames are referenced on Scotlands People. I know who husbands 2 and 3 are but apart from his surname I can't find any record of husband number 1. I'm just wondering if the lady's death certificate would tell me husband number 1's full name. I don't really want to fork out £12 if it doesn't. The reason I can't find marriage number 1 is that I think it happened somewhere abroad, possibly Rhodesia or East Africa.

Do you think the death cert. will list all the husbands or just say Mrs Bloggs, formerly Smith, formerly Brown ?

p.s. thread title shouldn't say a a

ok, I made a mistake and too late to edit. She only married twice, but the question is the same, I know husband number 2's name but not husband number 1.

Try TNA rather than SP. That's where most overseas BMDs are, plus service BMDS, etc.

One possible work-around: Did she have any children with Spouse 1 in Scotland? A scottish birth cert should give date/place of parents' marriage.

Also, DCert entries are only as good as the person giving the info - spouse 2 might have known 1's name, would one of their children or grandchildren?

PS The "a a" in the title is fixed - you can always ask a Mod for such things.

thanks, I think she was only in Scotland at the end of her life with spouse 2 who she married in Rhodesia. FMP has that army marriage record. I think she was born in former Rhodesia, thats where her parents married.

I will try TNA thanks.

The other place that might be worth checking is The Genealogical Society of South Africa - the eGGSA site is HERE.

point taken about the death certificate.

haven't found marriage 1 on TNA.

Its just occured to me that since she married spouse 2 in 1942 and she was still only 29 years old, spouse 1 was possibly killed on active service. If I make the big assumption that he was with South African forces I can actually narrow that down to one person using the CWGC website, but that is a very big assumption.

The lady had two children by spouse 2, the surviving one lives I believe in Scotland so I guess contacting her would be the best course.

I shall try EGGSA thanks.

The thing is for Scotlands People to have her death referenced with her birth surname and both married surnames indicates to me that the death certificate must mention somehow spouse number 1's name - but perhaps only surname.

I think that you're right, both about the WW2 guy and the info in the death cert.. The frustrating thing is that with such a recent death, only a hardcopy of the cert can be obtained.. (If you decide to buy it, get the cheaper "no legal status" copy, not the legally valid version). That's why I go into "work around" mode.
    Is there no family info on the CWGC site?
    Newspapers would be my next stopping point!

thanks for all your suggestions Lesley.

British newspapers have produced nothing so far. Might try Australian Trove.
    CWGC site has no family info for the man I had in mind which might indicate its the wrong person otherwise it would say "husband of ...".

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place Scotlands People only offer one type of death cert at £12.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    thanks for all your suggestions Lesley.

British newspapers have produced nothing so far. Might try Australian Trove.
    CWGC site has no family info for the man I had in mind which might indicate its the wrong person otherwise it would say "husband of ...".

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place Scotlands People only offer one type of death cert at £12.
    Not every entry in the CWGC site has family information. I found one the other day (admittedly WW1) with nothing (not even an address), and I'm sure I've seen others though i can't remember whether they were WW1 or WW2.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Not every entry in the CWGC site has family information. I found one the other day (admittedly WW1) with nothing (not even an address), and I'm sure I've seen others though i can't remember whether they were WW1 or WW2.
    true enough