Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Default BRICKWALL RE: HARRY TULLY HARRISON BORN 1898

Good Morning BG Parish Forums

I hope that the BG Parish Forum Members maybe kind enough to help me, as I am researching on behalf of an old Friend (who now lives abroad) his grandfather namely; Harry Tull(e)y Harrison, born 23 November 1898 at No: 1 Brewery Street, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England.

Harry T. Harrison's Birth Certificate lists his mother's name as 'Sarah Harrison of no occupation' and her address was 25 Chester Street, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England, the Father's name was left blank.

My dear Friend has been trying to locate his Grandfather for decades in both the 1901 and 1911 Censuses, however, to no avail.

The Family story is that Sarah Harrison possibly died shortly after her son's birth and that Harry T. was brought up by his Father's Aunties. I have tried in vain to search the 1901 and 1911 Censuses with Harry T's birth year and name/surname configurations but I, too, have not been successful in finding him.

I am aware from Harry Tull(e)y Harrison's Marriage Certificate to a Violet Wood Rutter in approx. 1919 that his Father's name is registered as Harry Harrison and that they are all living in Liverpool, Lancashire, England.

Please could anyone kindly point me in the right direction, as to how to locate Harry Tull(e)y Harrison in the 1901/1911 Censuses?

Thank you ever so much for any advice, help, support given to the above queries.

Sincerely, SuzieQ

Brick wall demolition expert!

If he was brought up by his aunt(s) then it is possible that he appears in the census with their surnames, either because the enumerator just got it wrong, or because that was how they were bringing him up.

As his certificate indicates that he was illegitimate (no father listed, and no mother's maiden name) it will be very difficult to track the aunts down.

You cannot rely in anyway upon the father's name he lists on his marriage certificate. It was quite common for illegitimate adults to invent a father for the purposes of marriage, as that brings an air of respectability.

Settling in

Good Afternoon Megan

Thank you for your kind response to my Post re Harry Tull(e)y Harrison.

I fully respect your thoughts regarding the Father's name that was given on his Marriage Certificate in 1919, Liverpool, Lancashire, England, as possibly being 'invented' as you rightly say, it would bring an air of respectability.

However, in my haste to submit my earlier Posting, I omitted to include that Harry Tull(e)y Harrison actually served in the Welch Army Regiment, his Service No: was 64296. I had considered if I could find where Harry Tull(e)y Harrison had actually signed up to this Regiment, I could possibly locate the name and address of his Next of Kin and with this valuable information I may be able to take my research further back in time for Harry T. and his possible next of kin.

I feel at such a cross roads at the moment, as I am desperate to try and knock this Brick-wall down.

Sincerely, SuzieQ

Famous for offering help & advice

What was Harry's occupation when he married, and do the witnesses throw up any clues?

I'm assuming that his birth was registered by his mother?

Settling in

Hello Jomot1

I have just spoken to the Grandson of Harry Tull(e)y Harrison and he has kindly shared a copy of the Marriage Certificate to Violette Pearl Woodrutter which took place on the 15 May 1919.
    Harry T.'s Occupation is registered as a Painter (House and Ship) and his Witnesses are (I am reliably informed) his Father, Harry Harrison, also a Painter and Charlotte Stott who went on to marry Harry Harrison (Snr.)

You raise an excellent question regarding 'if' Harry Tully Harrison's birth Mother, Sarah Harrison actually registered her son's birth. To be honest, I am really unsure!!

Thank you so much for your valued thoughts etc., re trying to help knock this brick-wall down.

Sincerely, SuzieQ

Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQ View Post
    Hello Jomot1

I have just spoken to the Grandson of Harry Tull(e)y Harrison and he has kindly shared a copy of the Marriage Certificate to Violette Pearl Woodrutter which took place on the 15 May 1919.
    Harry T.'s Occupation is registered as a Painter (House and Ship) and his Witnesses are (I am reliably informed) his Father, Harry Harrison, also a Painter and Charlotte Stott who went on to marry Harry Harrison (Snr.)

You raise an excellent question regarding 'if' Harry Tully Harrison's birth Mother, Sarah Harrison actually registered her son's birth. To be honest, I am really unsure!!

Thank you so much for your valued thoughts etc., re trying to help knock this brick-wall down.
    For info, Harry Sr married Charlotte Stott on 15 May 1919, and witnesses were Harry Tully Harrison & what looks like HJ Harrison.

If we know Harry's father's details, and Harry Jr was supposedly raised by Harry Sr's family, then has anyone worked up a tree for them all?

Settling in

Hello Again Jomot1

I just wanted to confirm with you that Sarah Harrison (Harry Tull(e)y's mother) is actually registered on his Birth Certificate as the Informant.

It's such a pity that Sarah Harrison who is registered as living at 25 Chester Street, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, as of the 31 December 1898 (information taken from the actual Birth Certificate) cannot be located anywhere. I cannot even find a Death entry for her which is bizarre!!

Kind regards, SuzieQ

Settling in

Hello Jomot1

Apologies, as our Posts must have been crossing each other via the ether!

Curiously, both Harry Tully Harrison and his 'Father' Harry Harrison Snr., were married on the same day namely; 15 May 1919 in Liverpool, Lancashire, England.

Harry Tully Harrison was his 'Father's Witness' and as posted previously Harry Harrison Snr., and his wife to be Charlotte Stott, were Harry Tully Harrison's Witnesses.

The Grandson of Harry Tull(e)y Harrison has tried for decades to create a viable Family Tree but the Brick-wall is that sadly, we are unable to successfully research any further back than 1898 when Harry Tull(e)y Harrison was born.

FYI, the Marriage Certificate for Harry Harrison Snr., to Charlotte Stott states that his Father's name is 'Robert Harrison, deceased' and that he was also a Painter. I have tried in vain to locate Robert Harrison but without any success, as I do not know where he lived or was born.

Kind regards, SuzieQ

This looks like the marraige of possible father.

Harry Harrison 45 widower
    62 Celt Street

Marriage Date: 15 May 1919
    Marriage Place: St. Margaret, Anfield, Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Spouse: Charlotte Stott 34 widow
    6 Redbrook Street.

Witnesses : **Harry Tully Harrison. ** & ( H T )? Harrison

Image of actual cert is on Ancestry.

1921 census : Harry Charlotte & 2 others are at 6 Redbrook Street.

Settling in

Hello Pamelawagster

Thank you very much indeed for sharing this information with me - its very much appreciated.

Indeed, I am so thrilled to be part of such a wonderful Genealogical Forum. Thank you to all for your continued help, support and advice.

Kind regards, SuzieQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast