I have been researching these as part of another book that I hope to write on convicts.

If you look at the various Quarter Session records that Ancestry has you will often find bills for the prosecutor's costs which could be say £20 a trial; a lot of money 200 years ago.

I have recently visited the archives in Caernarfon, and search their Quarter Session records, and realised that there were even more costs claimed and charged. For instance when a horse was stolen in 1825 the owner claimed £23 11s 10d as costs incurred in chasing and catching the thief.

I then found a bill for the administrative costs incurred in getting 2 convicts from Caernarfon to London to be transported. Anything and everything seemed to be charged:

The King against Evan Owen for sheep stealing
Same against Hugh Thomas for Larceny
  • The prisoners having been convicted at the Spring Assizes of 1836 and sentenced to be transported for life instructions to contract for their removal on board the Hulks in pursuance of the Secretary of State’s letter 0 – 6 – 8
  • Attending making enquiries for a vessel bound to London and found Captain John Jones of the Brig Jane of Carnarvon ready to start. Attending to contract with him. 0 – 6 – 8
  • Captain Jones having agreed to convey the prisoners for £20 attending and taking instructions to above on board. 0 – 6 – 8
  • Drawing same folio 0 – 8 – 0
  • Illegible 0 – 5 – 4
  • Attending execution of same by Captain Jones and bail 0 – 6 – 8
  • Fair copy of the Secretary of State’s letter for the removal of prisoners to be sent to the Superintendent of the Hulks 0 – 3 – 0
  • Fair copy orders of Court for transporting each prisoner for the same purpose
    0 – 6 – 0
  • Copy of the commitment of each of the prisoners for the same purpose 0 – 4 – 0
  • Attending gaoler for his certification of same being true copies 0 – 6 – 8
  • Drawing Surgeon’s Certificate of the state of Evan Owen’s health 0 – 3 – 6
  • The like of Hugh Thomas 0 – 3 – 6
  • Attending him to get each signed 0 – 6 – 8
  • Drawing Gaoler’s Certificate of the Prisoner Evan Owen’s conduct in prison 0 – 3 – 6
  • The like as to Hugh Thomas 0 – 3 – 6
  • Attending gaoler to get each signed 0 – 6 – 8
  • Paid filing bond 0 – 5 – 0
  • Drawing bill of costs and copy 0 – 4 – 0
  • Attending Clerk of the Peace to tax costs 0 – 3 – 4
  • Paid for taxing costs 0 – 4 – 0
  • Copy taxed Bill 0 – 2 – 0
  • Motion on the order on the Treasurer for payment of the costs of removing prisoners
    0 – 3 – 6
  • Order and copy 0 – 6 – 0
  • Session Fee 0 – 3 – 4
  • Sub total 5 – 18 – 2
  • Contractual money 20 – 0 – 0
  • Total £25 – 18 – 2
  • Deduct 0 – 9 – 6
  • Allowed £25 – 8 – 8

All the amounts are £ s d - but I can't get them to line up neatly!

Does anyone know if all legal and court costs were paid by the county or were they reclaimed from the Government?