Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Settling in

Good Morning Christana and almach

Firstly, I cannot Thank you both enough for reaffirming some of the Family History that I had already managed to research via A* and other genealogy paid sites and to be honest, I was convinced that the Marriage Certificate that I had purchased for an 'Elizabeth Ann Newstead to William Jones' was correct however, on William Jones' second Marriage to Miss Mary Carey in 1895, Liverpool, Lancashire, England, William Jones cannot write his name, it's marked by an X. I am also aware from this Record that his Father's Occupation was a Mariner and that his name was also William Jones.

I will definitely look into the above References to both, Births and Deaths for Maria/Elizabeth Ann Jones that you have very kindly took the time to source for me.
    Thank you both ever so much for your professional input into helping me try and understand the enigma that surrounds my 2x Great Grandma, Maria.

I wish you both a wonderful weekend. Take care.

Sincerely, Suzie

I have found the baptism for the (eldest?) son, David William Jones, in St.Nicholas, Liverpool. He was born 30 March 1872 and baptised 19 May 1872, son of William and Maria. William was a Ship Smith and the address was Tatlock Street, Liverpool.

I have also found David William's marriage to Mary Ellen Whitworth on 1 December 1890 and his father was said to be William Jones, Blacksmith.

Benjamin Jones married Harriet Edwards on 5 August 1907 and his father was also described as William Jones, Blacksmith.

The original images are on Ancestry but I had to smile as I also found a tree on Ancestry with the above information, with no maiden name given for Maria. The tree owner's username was Frustration!!!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    That's intriguing, Christanel. The marriage is on Ancestry, 30 April 1871, St Nicholas.

William Jones full age a blacksmith, Pall Mall, father William (I can't make out his occ.)
    Elizabeth Ann Newstead, minor, Old Post Office Place, father William a cabinet maker.
    Witnesses, John Poland or Polard and Mary Doyle.

Elizabeth Ann Newstead is at Old Post Office Place in 1871 age 17, and interestingly born London.
    The occupation you couldn't read is Mariner, which fits with the information on William's second marriage certificate.
    Sue Mackay

Settling in

Good Afternoon Christine and almach

Thank you very much indeed for taking the kind time to help me with my quest to understand if my Great Grandma's name is actually 'Maria' as documented on all of her three children's Baptism Records namely; David William Jones, Benjamin Jones and Elizabeth Ann Jones or is her real name Elizabeth Ann nee Newstead Jones and she just preferred to be known as Maria?

David William Jones born 1872 is my maternal Great Grandfather.

I did purchase the Marriage Certificate for an Elizabeth Ann Newstead to a William Jones however, as I am aware from William's second Marriage Certificate to Miss Mary Carey (1895) his name was signed by a X plus, his Father's occupation is a Mariner and his name was William Jones.

I really am grateful to you both and will now look forward to researching the birth/death information you have kindly sourced for me.

To be honest, Maria is still an enigma however, I pray that I will be able to knock this brick-wall down eventually with the help of the wonderful people on BG Parish Forums. Thank you!

Wishing you a lovely weekend. Take care.

Sincerely, Suzie

Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQ View Post
    I did purchase the Marriage Certificate for an Elizabeth Ann Newstead to a William Jones however, as I am aware from William's second Marriage Certificate to Miss Mary Carey (1895) his name was signed by a X plus, his Father's occupation is a Mariner and his name was William Jones.
    You are right to keep an open mind about the two marriages, but just because someone signed one document and made a mark on another doesn't necessarily mean they were two different people. One of my husband's ancestors had fifteen children by three wives. Sadly only six of those children survived past their fifth birthday. On his first marriage certificate he proudly signed his name. On various birth and death certificates his handwriting deteriorated. By the time he had buried two wives and nine children he could barely make his mark when he married for the third time. Your William did not have the same degree of tragedy, but he was a blacksmith and could easily have injured his hand.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a crystal ball?
    Sue Mackay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12