Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Hubert Couzins 1877 - ?

I am going round in every decreasing circles, so I am hoping fresh eyes might help me see ...

I have been trying to track down the siblings of one of my great grandmothers. She was Mary Ann Couzens (I've found more 20 different variations of the surname), and she had 13 siblings. The one I'm struggling with is Hubert.

Hubert Couzins - Birth Index 1877 J quarter Haverfordwest Vol 11A Page 939. His parents were George and Elizabeth (Williams).

1881 Census - He's living in Haverfordwest with his family. Piece 5418 Folio 66 Page 2. Just to confuse things he is listed as Herbert.
    1891 Census - He's a live in servant in Haverfordwest, but Ancestry have "usefully" transcribed his name as Hubert Evans, Evans being the surname of his employers. Piece4536 Folio50 Page 4.

That is the last definitive record that I have. There are a number of possibilities, but it gets confused with a Hubert Cozens who was born in 1879 in Somerset. This one was living in Wells in 1891 and is listed as adopted.

1901 Census - not found for either
    1911 Census - one record for Hubert from Wells living in Bedwellty, Monmouthshire as an insurance agent and who was unmarried
    1921 No sign

1939 Register - I have one entry for HURBERT born 31 Mar 1877 living in Bedwellty married to Edith who was born 1 Apr 1866. He was an "Assistant Timberman Hw". I originally assumed this was my chap, but I have now found a marriage record which corresponds age wise to the 1939 Register, and this says that his father was John rather than George. Hubert is listed as a widower and a collier. The marriage took place in Nantyglo, Monmouthshire in 1915 and she was a widow Ellen Wilkins.

There is a possible death record in 1941 aged 63 implying born circa 1878.

There is a medal card from WW1 for a Hubert Cozens who was in both the Welsh Regiment, and the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Any thoughts on my ramblings will be appreciated.

When he was a live-in servant in 1891, who/what was his employer? I lost one of my multi-great uncles(in Scotland) between censuses. He had been working in a town house, and then vanished. After someone else suggested it, I searched for his employer and found him and my guy, who was working in the (not titled) employer's castle (real one) in NE Scotland! Not only that, he was married to a woman with a fairly unusual forename - I could confirm him from their wedding cert!

Famous for offering help & advice

1891 FMP have him Hubert Cozens 1877 farm servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    When he was a live-in servant in 1891, who/what was his employer? I lost one of my multi-great uncles(in Scotland) between censuses. He had been working in a town house, and then vanished. After someone else suggested it, I searched for his employer and found him and my guy, who was working in the (not titled) employer's castle (real one) in NE Scotland! Not only that, he was married to a woman with a fairly unusual forename - I could confirm him from their wedding cert!

He was working for a 68 year old farmer and his wife and neither of them seem to appear in later censuses. Thanks for the suggestion.

There is a Hubert COUZENS, aged 60, on the passenger list of the Queen Mary, sailing from Southampton to New York on 30 March 1938. He is listed as an engineer. Can't quite make out the last known address in UK.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    There is a Hubert COUZENS, aged 60, on the passenger list of the Queen Mary, sailing from Southampton to New York on 30 March 1938. He is listed as an engineer. Can't quite make out the last known address in UK.
    Interesting! Food for thought.

Famous for offering help & advice

I see that he signed X on the 1915 marriage, so its possible the information on the marriage certificate is wrong, and he just didn't notice.

In 1921 he & Ellen are in Abertillery, with Hubert giving his YoB as 1881 and his PoB as Pembrokeshire. I can only see one Hubert Couzens or similar born Pembrokeshire within 15 years of 1877.

It looks like he died in 1941, aged 63 (born 1878)

Thanks Jomot1.

I think that it might help if I can trace a marriage before 1915, as on that one Hubert says he was a widower.