Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I am interested in Kaufma, do you have Nathan and Rosen?
    Maryeb

I am still confirming the relationships but as a start here is Emily Kaufman and her parents/siblings/inlaws:
    GRO Marriage Index Levy KAUFMAN Sept qtr.1865 Hartlepool 10a 219-Anne BROADY
    1871 (Crown copyright TNA)RG10 4893 23 40 18
    51 Newport Road Durham Middlesborough
    Levy KAUFMAN HM 34 Jeweller b Poland
    Anna wife 24 b Poland
    Bulky? dau 4 and a half years b Durham
    EMILY dau 2 and a half years b Middlesborough
    Solomon son 1 and a half years b Middlesborough
    Joseph BROADY brother u 20 Jeweller b Poland
    Jacob KAUFMAN cousin u 21 Jeweller b Poland

1881 Census (Copyright TNA) RG11 4908 132 21 25
    Church Street
    Israel BROADY H M 61 Furniture Broker b Poland
    Schifra wife 59 b Poland
    Jacob BROADY son 16 Pawnbroker shopman b Middx London
    EMILY KAUFMAN granddaughter 12 b Yorks Middlesborough
    David KAUFMAN grandson 5 b Yorks Middlesborough

It appears that Anne/Anna Kaufman nee Broady died 1877 ( to be confirmed) hence Emily living with her grandparents. It may also be the case that Emily settled in South Africa but this need confirming.

Here is another Broady/Kaufman marriage- GRO Marriage Index Dec qtr.1904 Islingron 1b 731 Isaac KAUFMAN -Henrietta BROADY

Nb You refer to Nathan and Rosen in your last post- would you please post names etc
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Thank you Phillip, I will let you know those names for Nathan and Rosen as soon as possible.

Here is some more Broady data from the Jewish Chronicle Archive:
    DEATH-13 November,Southport JOSEPH BROADY 95 Highbury New Park,London age 52 ..beloved husband of Julia, son of Mrs Israel Broady of West Hartlepool, brother of Barnett and Jacob Broady,West Hartlepool and Mrs AGAR of Cumberland Street, Moor, Sheffield - JC November 20,1903
    Tombstone Setting- In memory of the late Joseph and Julia Broady 95 Highbury New Park,N set at Willesden Cemetery Sunday November 30th,1904

Emily Broady 1860-1935 New York married Moses Aaron Agar 1864- (dates etc to be confirmed)

Here is a Lyons relative- Probate Sarah LYONS Death 23 March 1894 Buxton House Walter Road Swansea widow died 23 March 1894 Probate to Mark Lyons clothier and Jacob BROADY jeweller Efects £3889 3s 7d

Nb I will add and submit Will Extract data to Synagogue Scribes as part of my ongoing research on Anglo Jewish wills.

Here are Kaufman relatives taken from The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical information from the Jewish newspapers 1871-80 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,1999 Robert Boyd Publisher:
    Joseph D KAUFMAN birth of a son 15.11.1876 at 7 Salem Street South Sunderland- Australian and Cape papers to copy-DAVID JOSEPH father in law; Fanny Joseph mother in law, Nissan Joseph brother in law,Clara Joseph sister in law, JACOB COHEN brother in law.
    Marriage-JOSEPH D KAUFMAN to CLARA youngest daughter of the late DAVID JOSEPH ( marriage at the residence of the bride's brother in law Jacob Cohen 7 Salem Street Sunderland 6.2.1874
    Death-DAVID JOSEPH 18.5.1873 at 16 Norfolk Street Sunderland age 66 years- relatives H SAMUEL brother in law,AMELIA JOSEPH sister in law, Sarah Joseph sister in law, Joseph Cohen son in law, Joseph D Kaufman son in law, FANNY JOSEPH wife, Nissan Joseph son, Clara Joseph daughter

Hi Phillip
    I thought I had answered this, but I must have been dreaming!!!!
    Thanks for the Kaufman rellies
    I'll get back to you with the Rosen and Nathan names as soon as possible.
    Also thanks for the tip about the cemetery records, I found Samuel Harris in West Ham buried 1869

Maryeb

Hi Phillip, Sorry I have not got back sooner but the person I emailed for those names Kaufman and Rosen has not responded.

Thanks,
    Maryeb

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Mary & Phillip,
    I am replying to your post dated 9/4/2022.
    My brother (Lee) and I have been researching our family tree especially our father's Jewish roots. And based on what we have discovered so far and the discussions in this thread we believe that we are the descendants of the Myers branch that went to Jamaica.

Basically, Michael S Myers who we understand was born or lived in Portsea, Hampshire, emigrated to Jamaica around 1801 and established various towns including Portsea, Tophill and Myersville in Jamaica.
    We are very excited to come across your forum with its discussion. We are looking to clarify some information on Michael's family prior to his departure to Jamaica. What we understand so far...
    ● Michael S Myers, He was born in Hampshire, England (around 1785) and died in Jamaica 27 Aug 1870.
    ● His father was David but could also be known as Joseph/Isaac Myers (ben MEIR) d.o.b 1760- 1847. May have been born in Germany?? But resided in Portsea, Hampshire, England.
    ● It is believed that Michael's uncles/aunts (at the time of the probate 1796) were:
    1. Moses Nathan Nathan Ben Meir
    (Nathan Myers)
    Died 1796 in East London. His wife
    Was called Leah
    2. Sampson Myers (Germany)
    3. Philip Myers (Germany)
    4. Phoebe?? (Germany)
    5. Brandley Haim
    ● Michael's grandfather was also believed to be called David Myers, but might have other names. He was born in Germany around 1735, before moving to London.

According to the probate of Nathan Myers 1796, his nieces & nephew were:-
    Betsy Mitchell, Phoebe Salomons & Jacob Myers

Hello Esther, lovely to hear from you. I have two contacts who are researching Myers particularly from Jamaica
    So I'll send this to them if that's ok. I only have Phoebe Cohen nee Myers daughter of Moshe Joseph Myers or Myer.
    Phoebe was born in Houndsditch,London according to the census. She married Isaac Cohen in 1799 Gt Synagogue, London. The couple lived in Portsea. That's all I really have on Myers.
    Have you had your DNA done, that might turn up some more relatives. I'd be interested to know if we connect at all.
    Regards,
    Maryeb

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Mary for you response.

Yes, we would like the two contacts. It would be great to see whether we already have them in our tree or not.

In response to your question regarding DNA, both my brother and myself have had several dna tests done, Which was a breakthrough in enabling us to locate and connect to many of the Myers decendants in the Jamaica and the US. My brother Lee went further and had the Y Chromosome test and it revealed many things. It gave us x7 decendants who are extremely close with the mutations around 1500/1600/1700s.
    We are currently in the process of reaching out to these men to see who was the common ancestors that link us together, in their family tree. These men are from Germany, Poland, Ukraine Slovakia and Belarus.
    This we hope should yeld up the missing pieces of the Myers in Germany and UK. We want to know the history of the Myers family as well as connect with the decendants today.
    Just out of interest how are connected with Myers from Portsea, UK? Because this could possibly help us to understand the past.

Many thanks again

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast