Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Angry who.s the father

i have been searching for ever and a day , the problem is my gt grandad he,s name JAMES BARTON FURNESS, BORN 1855 KENTISH TOWN WELL ON HE,S WEDDING CERTIFICATE it states he's father was HENRY BARTON FURNESS, could not find him anywhere , so i got he's birth certificate apparently he was born illegitimate was born thirteenth december 1855 at 4 HAVERSTOCK STREET CAMDEN TOWN mother ANN FURNESS registered January 1856 now how do i go about my searching

Brick wall demolition expert!

You need to see if you can find any court records ordering support by the father. To that end the London Metropolitan Archives hold the records for the Middlesex Quarter Sessions which was the court that dealt with such matters.

Have you found him in the censuses living with his mother? How is she described? Have you looked at census records to see if you can find a Henry Barton living nearby?

The other option would be to try the DNA route.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Have you found him in the censuses living with his mother? How is she described? Have you looked at census records to see if you can find a Henry Barton living nearby?
    I'd be more inclined to look for a James Barton for the potential father, as mothers of illegitimate boys often gave a strong clue to the paternity by giving the child the father's name in full. Henry may have been the name of Ann's father or some other relative - or perhaps Ann later married a Henry.

Or Henry Barton as the father ... perhaps James Barton Furness "knew/was told" his father was Henry Barton and ASSUMED Henry Barton Furness. Just a thought.

If I have the right Ann then she's at the Haverstock Street address in 1851, aged 35 & born Purfleet, Essex, with her mother Martha and various other family members including a brother named Henry.

Living no more than 2-miles away in Robert Street, St Pancras is a James Barton aged 35 born Bedfordshire. He is unmarried and living with his sisters. He's still there in the next census, never married, and died in 1886.

There are some Henry Barton's in London too, but not of the right age and in St Pancras.

Default who,s the father

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    If I have the right Ann then she's at the Haverstock Street address in 1851, aged 35 & born Purfleet, Essex, with her mother Martha and various other family members including a brother named Henry.

Living no more than 2-miles away in Robert Street, St Pancras is a James Barton aged 35 born Bedfordshire. He is unmarried and living with his sisters. He's still there in the next census, never married, and died in 1886.

There are some Henry Barton's in London too, but not of the right age and in St Pancras.
    i would love to thank jomot 1 for the link to ann furlong , because on the 1851 census has the address the same as her son james baton furness number 4 haverstock street camden town , so he has family to find. thanks to every one for there time and trouble ,

Thumbs up who is the father

Quote Originally Posted by antony1958 View Post
    i would love to thank jomot 1 for the link to ann furlong , because on the 1851 census has the address the same as her son james baton furness number 4 haverstock street camden town , so he has family to find. thanks to every one for there time and trouble ,
    so sorry bad mistake her name is ANN FURNESS BORN 1816 PERFLEET ESSEX , MOTHER MARTHA , FATHER JOHN BRICKLAYER , WED 1806 I CANNOT FIND IN 1841 CENSUS , I CAN ONLY find any one on the 1851 census,they have all disappeared please help . many thank,s antony p

I don't see Ann after 1851 either, but in 1861 her mother & sister are together at 15 Preston Street, St Pancras:

Martha Furness 78 widow b Purflet, Essex (transcribed as Finner on FmP)
    Mary Lloyd 38 daughter Fancy Ball Maker b Purfleet, Essex
    Emma Lloyd 4 daughter b St Pancras
    James Lloyd 5 grandson b St Pancras

There's something 'off' about Mary Lloyd though. She married George Lloyd in 1839, and then there are these baptisms - make of them what you will!

16 Feb 1840 [born 18 Jan 1840] Henry John s/o George & Mary Lloyd, Gas Lane, Painter
    14 Jan 1846 [born 1 Oct 1830] William Henry s/o William Henry & Mary Ann Lloyd, Painter (dead), Kentish Town
    13 Jan 1847 [born 15 Oct 1846] Alfred s/o Mary Ann Lloyd, Widow, Kentish Town

The last two may be irrelevant, but I haven't looked any further for them to rule them out.

Anyway, there are no birth registrations for the two Lloyd children showing in the 1861 census, and its interesting that Emma is listed as 'daughter' and James is 'grandson'. As Martha is Head, they should both be listed as Grandchildren, but I think they've made a pigs ear of filling in the form & that Emma is listed first (even though she is younger) as she's Mary's daughter (so listed straight after her), and 'James Lloyd' may in fact be James Furness, ie Martha's grandson but not Mary's son.

By 1871 Mary & Emma are at Black Cap Yard, St Pancras:
    Robert Furness 51 Sells Pipe Lights b Purfleet, Essex
    Cornelia Furness 9 daughter b St Pancras
    Mary Lloyd 48 Sister, Doll Dresser b Purfleet, Essex
    Emma Lloyd 14 Niece b St Pancras

She married George Lloyd in 1839
    It's worth mentioning Mary has been indexed as TURNESS; her father is described on the certificate as 'dead'.
    Alma

From the marriage certificate that you have what do you see for -

Addresses for bride and groom

Occupation for groom and groom's father

Occupation for bride's father

Names of witnesses

Name of Church

Of the bride / groom / witnesses.....who uses signature....who uses their sign ie not literate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast