Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Ancestor's identity

I can trace my great grandmother's family back to Evan Evan(s) born around 1801 at Llaneilian, Anglesey. After that it gets a bit more murcky.

FamilySearch show a baptism for:

Evan Evan baptised 9 Aug 1801 at Llaneilian son of Evan Owen and Cathrine

This is their transcript, as the original they don't show. However, FindmyPast have the original and that reads:

Evan son of Evan Owen labr and his wife Cathrine was baptised 9 August.

Based on that do people agree with me that (a) Family Search has assumed, without evidence, that patrionymic names are being used, and (b) that this is unlikely to be my family?

Ancestry's "England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1936" has the following:

Evan Evans – born 10 April 1801 and baptised 20 Apr 1801 at Llaneilian son of Richard Evans and Margred– Independent chapel

It seems to me that this is more likely to be my ancestors. Evan Evans had a son called Richard and a daughter called Margaret (although that was also his wife's name). I haven't found a daughter called Cathrine, but there are enough gaps between the birth years of the known children to mean that there could have been one.

I have been going around in circles, so any thoughts will be appreciate!

I think you're right, but it never hurts to check things where possible..
    Were all of Richard & Margred's children baptised in the same Chapel? If they were going by the traditional naming pattern, the 1st daughter should be named for the mother's mother - do you know what Margred's mother was called?

Did your Evan have a Richard?

F/S have improved their ways since the old microfiche days but originals beat transcripts always for me.

My surname is almost as common, and I only managed to choose between 2 likely sets of parents was by checking parental names given on the marriage certs of his sisters!

Brick wall demolition expert!

I've only found one other child baptised there about 15 years later, and that was a Richard. The fact that there weren't more or that there is such a large gap doesn't necessarily worry me unduly because the descendants were a bit hit and miss when it came to baptisms.

My Evan Evans had a son called Richard.