Default Mary Elizabeth Harris, Seavington St Mary

Hello,

I'm looking for my great-great-aunt, Mary Elizabeth Harris. She was born on 16th June 1865 in Seavington St Mary, Somerset, England, the daughter of Thomas Harris and Mary Elizabeth Phelps.

Census details:
    1871: living at home with family.
    1881: servant for Thomas Naish in Seavington St Mary (as Elizabeth).
    1891: servant for Eleanor Lovibond in Hampstead (as Mary E).

After that, her trail gets more uncertain.

She might have been a domestic parlour maid in Paddington (as Elizabeth) in 1901: that person's place of birth is given as "Somerset, near Ilminster" (Seavington St Mary being about 4 miles away).

For the 1911 census for Mary Elizabeth's mother, the number of children recorded as alive corresponds with Mary Elizabeth still being alive.

I have checked marriages to Simeon Hutchings (Chard district, 1905), James Davis (Taunton, 1894) and Robert Mead (Chard, 1898) and they are all not for "my" Mary Elizabeth Harris.

She's not with any of her siblings in their census entries.

I've looked for just her first names and a birthplace of Seavington in the 1911 and 1921 censuses. I've found nothing definitive but I've found that I cannot exactly match on "Seavington" (in Ancestry, it's split into 2 hamlets - St Michael and St Mary).

Just to muddy the waters further, other ladies with similar names (Elizabeth, Mary Ann) were born in the same area of Somerset at the same time.

Are there any other approaches I can use to work out where Mary Elizabeth may have ended up?

Grateful thanks for any assistance.

Famous for offering help & advice

In 1911 there is an Elizabeth Harris, Single, Servant aged 45 (c1866) born Ilminster at Floor 2, 9 Cavendish Square, St Marylebone - RG14 Piece 526 Schedule 91.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    In 1911 there is an Elizabeth Harris, Single, Servant aged 45 (c1866) born Ilminster at Floor 2, 9 Cavendish Square, St Marylebone - RG14 Piece 526 Schedule 91.
    Thank you very much for this - noted. It could well be her.