Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Margaret Douglass, 1813 Heddon-On-The-Wall

Most information in Australia has her birth surname as Douglass (SS)

My starting information is that she was born in 1813 at Heddon-On-The-Wall, Northumberland - parents Edward Douglas 1785- and Isabella Richardson 1787-
    and that she married Adam Landells, at Dumfries, 1832.

Is anyone also researching these families, and can add or verify this?
    Not-so-good family trees show that she had 4 or 5 siblings, Ann, Jane, Joseph, (Margaret), Thomas, Elizabeth - born between 1806 and 1818.

Her 9 children born 1883 to 1848 were born in Northumberland, probably all in or around Alnwick.

Adam and Margaret LANDELLS left England for Australia in 1949.

I can't find a Margaret Douglas(s)/Adam Landel(l)s marriage in Scotlands People for 1830-1834. However, this was before BMDs started in Scotland, and survival of Parish Registers is a bit patchy. I did find Adam Landell and Margaret Landell on the Ancestry 1841 census together in Alnwick, Northumberland (not too far away). As usual with the 1841, adult ages are a bit eccentric but they're both shown as 20, he's a gardener and they have 3 kids with them. Are they possibles?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by westernwombat View Post
    Her 9 children born 1883 to 1848 were born in Northumberland, probably all in or around Alnwick.

Adam and Margaret LANDELLS left England for Australia in 1949.
    Ian - could you make sure that you double-proof read your posts before pressing 'submit'?

I'm assuming you mean the children were born 1833-1848, and that Adam and Margaret left in 1849, but sometimes mistakes regarding years and places are not always obvious which sends people trying to help you down a very wrong road.

Pam
    (who is also guilty of making typos, though usually of unimportant words)
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

There is more information regarding Adam and Margaret in this thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...dam-Landell(s)

Some of the details regarding what has/hasn't been transcribed may be out of date because the thread is dated 2013, so sites such as, for example, FreeREG, should be checked again.

Starting to feel at home

Yes, I'm very sorry - I was looking at my database for a sibling's family while trying to enter the information.

Adam LANDELLS, b. 14 Jan 1813, d. 31 Aug 1883, Tauranga, New Zealand.
    married to Margaret DOUGLAS at Dumfries, Scotland on 9 Mar 1832.
    Margaret DOUGLAS b. 9 Jun 1813, Heddon-on-the-Wall, Northumberland, christened 15 Aug 1813 same place.
    (she died at sea, near Tenerife, on 21 Oct 1849)
    Their LANDELLS children were born 1833 to 15 Nov 1848, all in Northumberland (Alnick / Walkergate).
    Two children died in Alnwick, 1840 and 1841, age 1 year or less. Another two children died of cholera on the voyage to Adelaide, Australia - as she did. Their deaths, 17 Oct, 19 Oct 1849.

To reiterate, her parents (not well sourced) were Edward DOUGLAS (1785-) and Isabella RICHARDSON (1787-).

In Australian records of later generations, the families LANDELLS, RICHARDSON, DOUGLASS are "connected" over generations.

Starting to feel at home

The LANDELLS, gardener at the Alnwick Castle, is the same family. The given names Adam, James over several generations are a bit awkward, but I have them sorted out OK.

Starting to feel at home

Sorry, I tried to DELETE all of a post that was at cross-purposes to this entire thread, but the British Genealogy website did not allow it.

That information is connected to a sibling of Margaret DOUGLAS (which is causing me to have more doubts).
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 21-03-2022 at 3:09 PM. Reason: Offending post now removed from the thread.

When things go wrong and you want a post moved or edited, ask a Moderator. We can do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    When things go wrong and you want a post moved or edited, ask a Moderator. We can do it for you.
    He he. While Lesley was typing her message I was deleting the one you wanted removed.

I've also removed the quoted post from your second post, and will slightly re-phrase your post so it makes sense.

Famous for offering help & advice

Using the free index on Durham Records Online, there are the following baptisms to parents Edward & Isabella – the places in brackets are the abodes. I haven’t accessed the full records, which will specify the church and may or may not provide extra information. The earlier baptisms were in the Bishop Barrington era, so should give further genealogical information. I'd say the baptism for Jane is definitely worth investing in.

MARRIAGES:
    1780 [Durham District] Edward Douglas & Isabella Gainford
    1806 [Sunderland District] Edward Douglas & Isabella Sykes

BAPTISMS
    1806 [Sunderland district] Edward Blakie Douglass (Bishopwearmouth)
    1809 [Alnwick district] Jane Douglass (No abode, but mother’s surname given as Richardson)
    1813 [Castle Ward District] Margaret Douglass (Hill Head)
    1816 [Castle Ward District] Thomas Douglass (Hill Head)
    1818 [Castle Ward District] Elizabeth Douglass (Hill Head)
    1823 [Sunderland District] William Douglas (Robinson’s Lane)

BURIALS (parents not confirmed unless stated)
    1769 [Castle Ward District] Robert Douglas (Hill Head)
    1810 [Sunderland District] John Douglass s/o Edward & Isabella (Low Street)
    1819 [Castle Ward District] Elizabeth Douglass born c1818 (Hill Head)
    1819 [Castle Ward District] Edward Douglass aged 40

Durham Records Online is a pay-per-view site, and you can buy 9 credits for £9.25 or 14 credits for £13.50. Most records cost 1 credit.

I think the Sunderland ones above can probably be ruled out, and some of the Heddon on the Wall images are on Familysearch (Bishops Transcripts only):
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...19&cat=1809106

There is a marriage in Alnwick in 1826 between Isabella Douglass, widow, and Ralph Shepherd, widower, which could be Edward’s widow.

There is a burial in Alnwick in 1832 for a Ralph Shepherd aged 62 (1770) of Clayport.

In 1851 at Dispensary Street, Alnwick there is an Isabella Shepherd aged 70 born Heddon on the Wall, and with her is a grandson named Thomas Douglass aged 18 born Alnwick.
    Isabella Shepherd of Dispensary Street, Alnwick, was buried 10 Feb 1856, aged 75.

I can't say with any certainty that this is 'your' Isabella, but given her PoB it seems worth investigating further,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast