Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Starting to feel at home

Thanks for that - I'm reasonably adept at searching Australian repositories but very new to the myriad UK sources.

Famous for offering help & advice

1871 the family is at 20 High Street, Hedworth, Monkton & Jarrow. Thomas is 56, a chemist born Alnwick

In 1881 they are at Monkton Terrace, Hedworth and Monkton and Jarrow. Thomas is 65, a chemist & druggist born Alnwick.

He died later the same year. From the Jarrow Express 1 July 1881:
    At 4 Monkton Terrace, on the 24th ult, aged 66, Thomas Douglass

DOUGLASS, THOMAS aged 66 GRO Reference: 1881 J Quarter in SOUTH SHIELDS Volume 10A Page 399

Starting to feel at home

That's great! It is interesting to trace the lives of people a century or more ago - even with the scant information from the UK Census.

We don't have the same census structure here in Australia, and after the current (21st century) surveys, the data is processed by Bureau of Statistics and when that is complete, the records are destroyed I believe. "Privacy".

Starting to feel at home

Perhaps some help? I'm finding it very hard to decipher a faint image, and also to work out.

The 1841 Census is hard to read - but Thomas Douglas may have been "surgeon's assistant", and - though not
    listed on what I see for Thomas's "household" on Ancestry, at the same address, 23 Ridgefield street, the head is surgeon, Richard Stuart - with 5 more of the same surname following.

After those STUART names, are the ones that Ancestry reported with Thomas DOUGLAS, for my search -
    Thomas Douglas (25), Ruth Redfern (40), Ann Rawlinson (25), Ann Doe (20), Jane Williams (25)

Not sure what the question is? Yes, it says Thomas Douglas 25 Surgeons Assistant, not born in County.

If you look at the image, after Harriet there is a / [forward slash] which means that the next person is living in the same property but is not part of the same household. Harriet appears to be 13 days old & Richard is 17 months, and the various people listed are all employees of the family, ie

Thomas Douglass - Surgeons Assistant
    Ruth Redfern - Monthly Nurse
    Ann Rawlinson - Cook
    Ann Doe - Nurse
    Jane Williams - female servant

So it seems likely that Thomas & Ann met when they were both working there.

Starting to feel at home

Thx again - clarified and added to my understanding ( did not know about slash / )

Looking at the marriage entry for Thomas Douglas + Anne Doe, his father is given as Thomas Douglas - should I take that as a mistaken entry by the vicar?

https://www.ancestrylibrary.com.au/i...5_293610-00862

My understanding has been that this Thomas Douglas born 1815 at Alnwick, christened 1816 at Heddon-in-the-wall, was son of Edward Douglas and Isabella Richardson.

I did think it was odd that his PoB in the census was Alnwick rather then Heddon, and wondered if it was a different person.

The marriage certificate says his father was Thomas Douglass, a Teacher, whereas you have been following Edward, a Husbandman.

I think there's plenty of room for doubt here, unfortunately, so I think you'll need to do some more research.

I just looked to see what happened to his brother Joseph, and see you have him dying in Alnwick in 1853, but that person was aged 84. There is a Joseph Douglas[s] in Babworth, Nottingham, who may be 'your' Joseph. Married to an Elizabeth and a Gardener. born Alnwick.

I didn't have time to look earlier, but unfortunately it does look like you may have the wrong family. This family looks a much better fit:

1841 Old Chapel Lane, Alnwick
    Thomas Douglas 55 Schoolmaster born Scotland
    Elizabeth Douglas 55
    Elizabeth Douglas 30 Dressmaker
    George Douglas 25 Clerk
    Barbara Douglas 25 Straw Hat Maker
    Robert Douglas 20 Grocers Apprentice
    Mary Douglas 15

Ages in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5. All born Northumberland, except Thomas.

Added: Newcastle Guardian 2 June 1849
    Deaths
    At Alnwick....
    On the 25th Ult., aged 65, Thomas Douglas, Teacher

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123