Default Wales and Scotland Roots

Hello,

I am Mary Beth and I have been researching my grandfather's family from Llannon, Carmarthehire, Wales for 20 years or more. He and his brother were orphaned and somehow were sent to the U.S. in 1896 when they were only 14 and 11, respectively.

My other branches from Ireland and Scotland came to America back in the late 1700's and early 1800's. I have researched my mother's maiden of Buchanan back across the pond to Clan Buchanan. Large strides were made via Y-DNA in recent years ro confirm our connection to Clan Buchanan. In Ireland, my lines are McCluggage and Leech/Leach/Leitch from County Antrim. McCoy/Steavenson from County Tyrone (earliest immigration, bef. 1739) and my Buchanan line was in County Tyrone after moving from Scotland.

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Mary Beth.
    Is it possible the orphaned boys were sent to Canada under the Dr. Barnado's scheme. See here

You certainly have a mixed heritage which probably makes for interesting anf frustrating research.

We have many helpful and knowledgeable members who love the challenge of breaking down brick walls so if you need help with any of your lines of research just post in a suitable forum. post the information you have and what it is you want to know. It shouldn't be too long before you receive a response.
    Meanwhile take a look around and if you can help anyone please do join in.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

They did not go via Canada. They came into New York City on the ship, Paris. Fortunately, the younger brother was listed on the passenger list. Their older brother was on the ship also. Apparently, my grandfather and the older brother worked their passage over. They got off the ship and traveled to Baltimore. The two younger stayed with a Lewis family and the older boy decided to go back to the ship.

Yes, most of us in the U.S. have varied backgrounds. I guess that is why it was called a "melting pot."

Welcome in!
    If you look at our General Scottish forum, you will find a collection of messages about what you can find, and where, in Scottish genealogy at the top. Scottish records are mostly (but not all) kept separately from the English/Welsh ones. Also, the time period is very important regarding record availability, so it’s useful to give an idea of when, even if it’s a guess at a decade or period within that decade. For your men, I’d start with the 1891 census for whichever country they would have been living in at that time.

Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Thanks everyone for the info. I guess I gave the impression that I am a beginner. I have been doing genealogy for about 40 years. I traveled to Wales in 2008 and saw the farm where my grandfather was born. His name was Joseph Thomas Roberts and was born on Allt Fawr, Llannon, Carmarthenshire. The farm is located on B4306. Until 2018 family was still in residence, but it was sold after the elder relation passed away. Afa I know the Roberts family lived there for about 170 years. My great grandfather and his sisters married and had children. I traced the sisters' families and am in touch with my living cousins. I returned in 2011 and 2013, but then my visits were curtailed due to my husband's health. I will check out the site. Thanks again for directing me.